Sagatun Mono Tarandus

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Sagatun Mono Tarandus

Post by lejonklou »

The first Tarandus upgrade started shipping yesterday and it's for Sagatun Mono. It consists of three changes:

• A new firmware with improved sound and new functionality (version 1.2)

• The Control Link is improved, so that sync between Master and Servant becomes more robust (version 1.2)

• A modification of both power supplies for more stable voltage rails (version 1.3)

The price for the Tarandus upgrade of Sagatun Mono is SEK 3900, EUR 425, GBP 355 and USD 475 per unit. The recommended retail price for a new Sagatun Mono remains the same as before.

If you've experienced Tarandus on Sagatun Mono, please post your impressions below!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Sagatun Mono Tarandus

Post by macrotech2 »

Great news! Is this a return to Sweden upgrade?

I'm also intrigued by new firmware functionality. Can you tell us what this means?

Also good to hear the robustness of the sync link has improved. I've had the odd occasion when the volume went out of sync.

Only two weeks to Windsor!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: • A modification of both power supplies for more stable voltage rails (version 1.3)
Fredrik,
does Boazu have this mod as well?

Matt
Erik

Post by Erik »

I think I will have a firs impression report on Monday

/Erik
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:
lejonklou wrote: • A modification of both power supplies for more stable voltage rails (version 1.3)
Fredrik,
does Boazu have this mod as well?
No. It's not applicable to Boazu, which has higher power, non-adjustable power supplies. In Sagatun and Sagatun Mono, they are lower power and individually measured and fine tuned.

But it was while working on the power supplies of Boazu that I realised I needed to test this on Sagatun Mono.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Erik wrote:I think I will have a firs impression report on Monday

/Erik
Look forward to seeing review Erik /
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote:• A new firmware with improved sound and new functionality (version 1.2)

• The Control Link is improved, so that sync between Master and Servant becomes more robust (version 1.2)!
I admit to chuckling at this given all the discussion of what versions of Linn DS firmware sound best,, apparently by accident. Then you come out with a firmware version that is clearly stated to improve the sound... how refreshing. Do you have an understanding of why the new version improves the sound of the Mono Sagatuns? (hoping to avoid a repeat of Link's bets releases, and speculation of relative & absolute best version)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote:
lejonklou wrote:• A new firmware with improved sound and new functionality (version 1.2)

• The Control Link is improved, so that sync between Master and Servant becomes more robust (version 1.2)!
I admit to chuckling at this given all the discussion of what versions of Linn DS firmware sound best,, apparently by accident. Then you come out with a firmware version that is clearly stated to improve the sound... how refreshing. Do you have an understanding of why the new version improves the sound of the Mono Sagatuns? (hoping to avoid a repeat of Link's bets releases, and speculation of relative & absolute best version)
I fully understand the chuckle. When I release a new firmware, however, I guarantee that it will sound as good or better than before. Anything else is sloppy engineering.

Regarding the part about understanding, the answer is both yes and no. Linntek (who does the coding for Sagatun/Mono and Boazu) and I have experimented with different changes to the firmware and most things we do affect the sound. Some very little, others more. And some make sense, such as stopping clocks and hibernating parts of the processor, while others are more of a mystery. The changes that mysteriously affect sound quality have to be categorised and tried separately and in different combinations. Sometimes changes add up and sometimes they cancel each other out.
Erik

Post by Erik »

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Are you trying to make us jealous Erik?
Erik

Post by Erik »

macrotech2 wrote:Are you trying to make us jealous Erik?

You should be!
Am I succeeding?

/Erik
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Erik wrote:

You should be!
Am I succeeding?

/Erik
That depends on what you think of Tarandus!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Erik wrote:
You should be!
Am I succeeding?
Yepp, works on me for sure!
Can't wait until I get mine...
It's all about musical understanding!
Erik

Post by Erik »

Tarandus makes a fantastic amp even better. Even if I was without them for a while, it's easy to hear the improvement. They are clearly more musical. It's hard to describe without mentioning the fantastic bass improvement. Much more nuanced and easier to follow in a way I have never heard before. It feels to go deeper but maybe it's only by being easier to follow that makes me think so.
But it's not only about the bass, the ease and flow is also improved, the 3677s seemed to be without limitations even if they in fact are rolling off in the bass and highest treble.
Also, when having music in the background at low volume, it drages me into the music and I have found myself standing still listening even if I was doing something else for the moment.

/Erik
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks for the report - looks like my Sagatuns will be heading off to HQ for the upgrade fairly soon.

With so many upgrade options available to my system; from KDS/2 to Tundra monos - I will definitely start with the Sagatuns.

I have always found the preamplifier to be absolutely key to enjoying the music, and In my system even the current Sagatun Mono 1.1 s are a million miles ahead of the digital volume control in the KDS/2.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

u252agz wrote:Thanks for the report - looks like my Sagatuns will be heading off to HQ for the upgrade fairly soon.

With so many upgrade options available to my system; from KDS/2 to Tundra monos - I will definitely start with the Sagatuns.

I have always found the preamplifier to be absolutely key to enjoying the music, and In my system even the current Sagatun Mono 1.1 s are a million miles ahead of the digital volume control in the KDS/2.
I'm still waiting to find out if they need to go to base. I asked earlier but no-one replied. However, Thomas did say he was expecting to receive some kits, so perhaps it is dealer fittable.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

macrotech2 wrote:I'm still waiting to find out if they need to go to base. I asked earlier but no-one replied. However, Thomas did say he was expecting to receive some kits, so perhaps it is dealer fittable.
Sorry if I missed your previous question. Yes, the Sagatun Mono's need to return to Lejonklou HiFi AB in Uppsala.

In North America, they can go to Nokturne Audio. At RMAF, we not only confirmed the optimal soldering temperature down to 1 degree (using Fahrenheit, being 5/9th of a Celcius degree, Thomas O'Keefe's fine tuning is actually a little more optimised than mine). We also calibrated Thomas' voltage meter against mine. What's needed after the Tarandus upgrade is completed is to be able to adjust a particular voltage with a precision of +-0.02%. Why that number, you may ask. The answer is it appears to be the "hearing threshold" for this detail. Smaller variations can be set and measured, but I can't hear any difference between them.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Thanks Fredrik. Perhaps you should hold an upgrade clinic at Windsor :-)

Any idea when the Tundra Mono upgrade will be available? It seems more sensible to send all four boxes to you at once.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

macrotech2 wrote:Thanks Fredrik. Perhaps you should hold an upgrade clinic at Windsor :-)

Any idea when the Tundra Mono upgrade will be available? It seems more sensible to send all four boxes to you at once.
If it would be possible to do a clinic at Windsor, I would! Shipping boxes around is not fun, just necessary.

I expect Tarandus for Tundra Mono to be ready in November.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote: I expect Tarandus for Tundra Mono to be ready in November.
Good news!
What version number are the upgraded Tundra Monos getting?

I understand all Sagatun Tarandus going to obtain 1.3, due to minor revisions over the years.
But Tundras had some major revisions since first release.
Is it going to be Tundra 1 Tarandus, Tundra 2 Tarandus, Tundra 2A Tarandus?
(2= with copper. 2A=revised circuit board)
Or is it a requirement to also upgrade a Mono 1 to 2 before undertaking the Tarandus upgrade?
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

My understanding is that Tundras will have to be version 2 or 2A to qualify for the Tarandus upgrade. As it now stands I believe they will then be 2.3 or 2.3A. In essence the .3 designation means the same thing as Tarandus, Fredrik just decided to give them a name this time.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Erik

Post by Erik »

ThomasOK wrote: In essence the .3 designation means the same thing as Tarandus, Fredrik just decided to give them a name this time.
For me, it seems logical to attach a name to the upgrade, as it's such a leap in performance.

/Erik
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

macrotech2 wrote:Thanks Fredrik. Perhaps you should hold an upgrade clinic at Windsor :-)

I quite like my Sagatuns returning to base and meeting up with their creator for a nip and tuck and general overhaul, every now and again.

Somehow it feels very reassuring to know that they have returned to the place where they were conceived, developed and manufactured with no compromise, and perhaps even met up with fellow Sagatuns from across Europe.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
oudheusa

Post by oudheusa »

Any detail on what the Tundra Mono Tarandus upgrade entails?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

oudheusa wrote:Any detail on what the Tundra Mono Tarandus upgrade entails?
Hi oudheusa!

No details yet. I'm working in it. I hope it will be ready in early November!