Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou Boazu Integrated Amp

Post by springwood64 »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-03-01 23:09
Hermann wrote: 2024-03-01 12:29With the Tundra Mono 3 and their permanently lit LEDs, I would go one step further and have the Sagatun LEDs also light up in the color of the set volume.
Do you mean that you would prefer that the volume indicator is permanently lit? Instead of fading out 3 seconds after the last volume change, as it now does.
I prefer the current behaviour. We often keep lighting low in the evenings, and it's nice if the hifi doesn't produce it's own continuous light. I've configured the Amplifi HD to turn off its lights, and placed the switch so the ethernet LEDs are as unobtrusive as possible.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-03-01 23:09
Hermann wrote: 2024-03-01 12:29With the Tundra Mono 3 and their permanently lit LEDs, I would go one step further and have the Sagatun LEDs also light up in the color of the set volume.
Do you mean that you would prefer that the volume indicator is permanently lit? Instead of fading out 3 seconds after the last volume change, as it now does.
Exactly, I would actually welcome it.

Our listening sessions often take place in quiet, dim light until late at night or early in the morning. These little lights don't bother me. Maybe I'm something of a lighting ambient nerd, because the living room offers some lighting impressions.

If the LED on the Sagatuns lights up permanently, I would know the current setting exactly, as a small side effect.

Speaking of the LEDs of the Tundra Mono 3. Since they are mono power amplifiers, I don't understand the presence of a second LED per channel. Do they have which indication function, such as control status for PS or analog path?
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you both for your inputs!

Sagatun, Kikkin, Superkikkin and Boazu all sound better after the volume indicator has faded out. This is because not only does the LED stop drawing current, the whole digital section including the clock is stopped and put to sleep. It doesn’t start again until either a front button is pressed or there’s a presence of infrared light in the room (which the remote emits when one of its buttons is pressed).

The opposite is true for the blue front lights on Tundra and Tundra Mono: The amps sound better with the lights on. They are two because there’s two power supplies in each amp, one for positive voltage and one for negative voltage, and each power supply feeds one LED.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thank you very much for clarifying the background, Fredrik. I'm almost sure they've been mentioned at some point.
Trust your ears
tby

Post by tby »

Will previous versions be upgradable to 2.0?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hello tby!

The short answer is: No, not to 2.0. But there will hopefully be an upgrade available from the current version 1.3 to version 1.x (x being a higher number than 3).

The long answer is: Boazu 2 will, like Tundra Mono 3, be built and tuned in Sweden. That means a new case with integrated pillars, the best sounding circuit boards I've been able to find (made in Germany) and new cables and connectors for the internal wiring. So upgrading a Boazu 1.x to 2 would require that nearly everything is replaced, including the case. The cost would likely approach a new Boazu 2 and then you wouldn't have the original Boazu left. So it doesn't make much sense.

I've tested adding some of the improvements of Boazu 2 to Boazu 1.3 and have found that more tests are needed. It's not quite as straightforward as I first assumed. A certain balancing act is required to make sure the sum of the changes is all positive musically. So I will need to return to this upgrade once the Boazu 2 has made it into production.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

is it detrimental (sound quality)to the integrated amp to have a pre-out? i ask because Boazu 1.0 does not have it but having a preout would allow buyers to upgrade easily by adding a tundra to their Boazu via a Pre out.
1. LP12/Selekt/AK/0(d)/TS 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
2. WiiM/AK/1(d)/TS 2.2/Kan II
3. Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Zee9 wrote: 2024-03-17 17:55 is it detrimental (sound quality)to the integrated amp to have a pre-out? i ask because Boazu 1.0 does not have it but having a preout would allow buyers to upgrade easily by adding a tundra to their Boazu via a Pre out.
Hi Zee9!

Yes, it is slightly detrimental to the sound quality of Boazu to add a pre out.

More importantly, adding a Tundra to the pre out of a Boazu is not a great upgrade. Tundra doesn't sound much better than the internal power amp, which is almost identical in design. And using both to bi-amp passive speakers sounds worse than single-amping the same speakers.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

A brief update on Boazu 2:

I remember I once wrote that some designs just fall into place and become great without much effort. Gaio was one of them.

Boazu 2 is not one of them. And I remember the original Boazu required lots of tuning as well to find its balance.

I thought I was done a few weeks ago. It's good, but I think it can be better. Work continues.
TMV

Post by TMV »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-03-26 16:15 I thought I was done a few weeks ago. It's good, but I think it can be better. Work continues.
Oh no, I don't think I can wait anymore! :)
But good things come to those who wait...
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I thought I was done a few weeks ago. It's good, but I think it can be better. Work continues.
No rush! Gives more time to save up and speaking selfishly, the more tuning, and the more music, the better.

And one thing I've learned from the discipline of waiting and saving, is that the wait makes the cherished item more cherished, not less.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I think I have now nailed it.

Boazu 2 is finally going into production.

Boazu 2 will be demonstrated on the jazz evening at Authentic the 3rd of May in Brussels, Belgium.

On the 4th of May I will visit Sound Odyssey in Buggenhout, Belgium, together with Marco of Hexagon Audio. We will be there during the opening hours to talk and demonstrate Boazu.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

That's great news!
Please post a clip or two like you did from AXPONA.
..If you get the time.
coverto

Post by coverto »

Hello from a longtime lurker and first-time poster! I have been watching this thread a bit obsessively over the past few weeks and am amazed Boazu 2 is finally on the way! Is there anything more you can tell us, Fredrik? I am wondering, for example, how you think it will compare to the Kondo Ongaku :) In all seriousness - I think this is incredibly exciting news for audio. I am pretty sure I am going to own one and I cannot wait!
James
TMV

Post by TMV »

Great news!
Looking forward to lab clips and listening to Boazu 2 live.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Congratulations Fredrik!
Looking forward to hearing one!!!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-04-07 22:20 On the 4th of May I will visit Sound Odyssey in Buggenhout, Belgium, together with Marco of Hexagon Audio. We will be there during the opening hours to talk and demonstrate Boazu.
Maybe SO can make a YT from the session and publish it on their YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/@soundodyssey3914/videos
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

That's great news! I'm glad you are happy with it and am looking forward to hearing one once production units are here.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Good news indeed. We are still enthusiastic about the actual Boazu and considering a visit to Sound Odyssey on May 4th.
Trust your ears
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That would be wonderful, Hermann!
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Is there an approximate price yet, for the B2?
F
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Fred11 wrote: 2024-04-16 08:02 Is there an approximate price yet, for the B2?
F
Also, will you be releasing details about the differences between B1 & B2 and how they impact on both sound and musicality? Please!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Fred11 wrote: 2024-04-16 08:02 Is there an approximate price yet, for the B2?
F
No, the price will be set just before they start selling. I wait for my Swedish assembly company to complete 5 to 10 units and give me an exact price for their work. They do most things on it, so it's a substantial part of the total cost

All I know right now is that it will cost more than the original version.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2024-04-16 09:27 Also, will you be releasing details about the differences between B1 & B2 and how they impact on both sound and musicality? Please!
Good idea, I will definitely do that!