Lejonklou Boazu Integrated Amp

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

snatex

Re: Lejonklou Boazu Integrated Amp

Post by snatex »

lejonklou wrote: 2017-03-30 23:55 Regarding connecting a subwoofer to a Boazu using the speaker outputs to high level inputs, please note the following:

The black or blue wire that is 'Left -' should go to Left Red (+) on Boazu
The yellow wire that is 'Left +' should go to Left Black (-) on Boazu
The red wire that is 'Right +' should go to Right Black (-) on Boazu

The subwoofer should then be set to phase inverted.

It's really important that the above scheme is used or fatal damage can occur.

I just put it on the website's Boazu page (my sincere apologies for not having completed the text on the Boazu page): http://www.lejonklou.com/tips/how-to-co ... -to-boazu/
Can you please confirm the recommended install instructions for connecting a pair of REL subs with high level inputs to the monos?

I assume a spade to banana adapter like the one below can be used to have both the banana from the speaker wire and the spade from the REL HL connected to the banana input on the Monos?

http://cardas.com/cab.php
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

snatex wrote: 2021-04-19 15:27
lejonklou wrote: 2017-03-30 23:55 Regarding connecting a subwoofer to a Boazu using the speaker outputs to high level inputs, please note the following:

The black or blue wire that is 'Left -' should go to Left Red (+) on Boazu
The yellow wire that is 'Left +' should go to Left Black (-) on Boazu
The red wire that is 'Right +' should go to Right Black (-) on Boazu

The subwoofer should then be set to phase inverted.

It's really important that the above scheme is used or fatal damage can occur.

I just put it on the website's Boazu page (my sincere apologies for not having completed the text on the Boazu page): http://www.lejonklou.com/tips/how-to-co ... -to-boazu/
Can you please confirm the recommended install instructions for connecting a pair of REL subs with high level inputs to the monos?

I assume a spade to banana adapter like the one below can be used to have both the banana from the speaker wire and the spade from the REL HL connected to the banana input on the Monos?

http://cardas.com/cab.php
Hi Snatex!

This thread is about Boazu, not Tundra Mono. Also the instructions above are for Boazu and Boazu only.

When you write 'Monos' I am guessing you mean Tundra Mono? Then don't use the instructions above, connect as REL recommends.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Great review in Norwegian magazine. The reviewer tries and describes his experience with 41(!) different songs. We love the Boazu in Norway!
http://www.audiophile.no/nb-no/item/293 ... klou-boazu
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Fred11 wrote: 2021-04-27 15:07 Great review in Norwegian magazine. The reviewer tries and describes his experience with 41(!) different songs. We love the Boazu in Norway!
http://www.audiophile.no/nb-no/item/293 ... klou-boazu
Thank you Fred11, that was a great review!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Great review. I love that Google translate has come up with the expected translation of Lejonklou as Lion Claw in certain places, but also “in 2019, motorcycle phono stages were also launched”.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-05-05 16:57 but also “in 2019, motorcycle phono stages were also launched”.
That's incorrect, those are still under development! :oD
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-05-05 17:33
macrotech2 wrote: 2021-05-05 16:57 but also “in 2019, motorcycle phono stages were also launched”.
A motorcycle phono stage ought to spin up to 78s... 33.3 would be a moped phono stage :/

Hopefully this post doesn't result in me getting a shellacking :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-05-05 19:38
lejonklou wrote: 2021-05-05 17:33
A motorcycle phono stage ought to spin up to 78s... 33.3 would be a moped phono stage :/

Hopefully this post doesn't result in me getting a shellacking :)
I probably just have to needle you a little bit.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-05-05 20:14 I probably just have to needle you a little bit.
You're a real diamond geezer :)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

You silly, silly little boys! :-)

Talking about your toys...........
Playing cd’s…………
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Happy to report that a quite positive review has been published by the dedicated hifi website Alpha Audio:

https://www.alpha-audio.nl/review/revie ... ersterker/

The review is in Dutch so I hope google translate may be of help. What shines through is that the reviewer is really impressed by the different approach Fredrik takes in designing his amplifiers and the way Boazu makes one immerse into the music.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Wow, thank you Marco!

I like it. Not too polite, honestly surprised by the lack of features and then the description of how it sounds:

"Little to no coloring. However, the involvement remains high, very high. It does not take long before the Boazu gets under the skin. Second, we notice a complete absence of sharpness. Female vocals sound clear, pure and detailed but never bite. This is also a fast, rhythmic amp with a punchy, tight low end where all the excess fat appears to be cut away. Yet it never sounds thin or analytical. This thing is silent too, dead silent."
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

I'm not surprised at all of the positive review. Boazu is a fantastic amp, I had the pleasure of borrowing one while my own amps were in Uppsala for an upgrade. The accolades are well earned!
HenrikLI

Post by HenrikLI »

Hi,

Got mine upgraded from 1.1 to 1.3 last week. For me, its a rather substantial improvement. Maybe not in magnitude, but of the kind of betterment. Its like the stereo have gotten more empathetic and have a better understanding of each record. Instead of the typical bass playing-sound of various Blue Note records, one easier hear the instrument more nuanced. At first i thought that the music had lost some weight, but thats just energy and bloom gotten rid of that was not supposed to be there:)

Of all the hifi gear i've had the Boazu is the one that will stay definitely.

/Henrik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Nice review, congratulations! The 1.3 upgrade is indeed quite pleasing musically. I have done a fair number of them, including for David Williamson who had bought his review sample. All have been very happy with the improvement. A couple dealers told me they thought the upgrade was quite substantial. One also just told me how impressed he was with the Entity 1.1 upgrade. Fredrik's products just keep getting stronger!
The LP12 Whisperer
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

willem kuis wrote: 2020-12-15 19:38
JoDeKo wrote: 2020-11-21 08:55 Good Morning, do you think a Boazu harmonizes with Harbeth SHL5+ Speakers or does anybody have experieneces about it?
Hi JoDeKo

I have Harbeth C7 ES3 speakers combined with Lejonklou Tundra 2.5 and Kikkin 2.2.
Before I used a NAIM NAP 200. That amplifier had a somewhat "pushy"sound character on my Harbeths
The Lejonklou/Harbeth combo however is much more musical and really touches your heart and soul.

Don't know about the BOAZU with SHL5+ : The SHL5+ Speakers are said to be less forgiving and do need more power than my C7's. So you need to try it yourself. Good Luck!
Hi, thank you and sorry, Willem, for my late reply. I haven´t been here for a quite long time. In the meantime I bought a Pass Int 60. Not so bad. :D ;)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny (Frank Zappa)

Just Listen
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

A nice and elaborated review on Boazu has just been posted on PF:
(thanks to Hans for the heads up)

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/h ... amplifier/
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

mrco99 wrote: 2022-01-29 00:20 A nice and elaborated review on Boazu has just been posted on PF:

That certainly is a nice review, especially since the Ongaku integrated amplifier is priced at $79,350.00 and the Boazu integrated amplifier is priced at $4,195.00. However there didn't seem to be much difference in the way Boazu system sounded, compared to the Ongaku system...and for a lot less money too!
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-01-29 16:49
mrco99 wrote: 2022-01-29 00:20 A nice and elaborated review on Boazu has just been posted on PF:

That certainly is a nice review, especially since the Ongaku integrated amplifier is priced at $79,350.00 and the Boazu integrated amplifier is priced at $4,195.00. However there didn't seem to be much difference in the way Boazu system sounded, compared to the Ongaku system...and for a lot less money too!
I was rather surprised to have this review pointed out to me by Marco as I lent Miguel the Boazu some time back to review but he thought he might review for Stereophile, and then it shows up in Positive Feedback. Apparently Stereophile passed on it and after he sent it to Positive Feedback for consideration they went ahead and published it without telling him.

Overall I quite like the review which is certainly very positive. I would like to have heard a bit more about how the two amps compared directly, with either or both loudspeakers, but at least we did get some comments on the Boazu vs. Ongaku on the horns. The thing I really would have liked to see is the pricing on the Audio Note Kondo Ongaku and the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo speakers (and the Tekton Impact speakers too, for that matter). While Miguel mentions that the Avantgardes are about 20x the price of the Boazu but didn't mention that the amp is more than 20x the Boazu price! It is actually very hard to find accurate prices for this equipment on the web (I suppose if you have to ask...) but his Ongaku is the older, and apparently more desirable, version and I have seen prices from $95,000 to $103,000 for it! The Avantgardes appear to go for about $84,000. The Tekton monitors, on the other hand, sell for $2100 a pair. So what was being compared is a roughly $180,000 amplifier/speaker pair with a $6300 amplifier/speaker pair! That's almost a 30 to 1 cost ratio and the less expensive system wasn't only not embarrassed by the expensive one, he actually found the Boazu did some things better than the Ongaku (although he is keeping his Ongaku having liked it better overall). Certainly an interesting and welcome review.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Anyway, why didn't he compare Ongaku and Boazu with the same speakers during the whole review?
Boazu could drive easily the Avantgardes with their ultra high sensitivity.
This doesn't make sense to me at all, a typical case of an apples to oranges comparison, tbh.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
tuckers

Post by tuckers »

Hello everyone. I'm going to be joining the Lejonklou community, I just purchased a Boazu 1.3! Waiting for it to be delivered. I chose the Boazu because I believe in minimalist designs, and appreciate well crafted, tuned gear. Also the Boazu fit my requirement for a low power, always on solution.

The 20 watts at idle is really compelling. I've been looking everywhere for a preamp to mate with my VTV Purifi amp. The VTV is quite good, and idles at 12 watts. Looking for a very high quality preamp has been frustrating, in that the ones I think are of sufficient transparency and quality start at about $3,500 USD and go up, and all of them use something like 30-60 watts (solid state). And I have not seen any high quality integrated that didn't use 3-6 times the idling watts as the Boazu. I'm getting really good results with the VTV and its high quality switch mode power supply that is NOT really tuned in any way. So looking forward to the Boazu.

Finally, a comment about the Positive Feedback review. I've heard the Ongaku amp with Acapella horn speakers and others several times at audio shows in the past. The Ongaku is an amazing amp at creating a dense vibrant soundscape that few amps are capable of. Its not neutral, but It is everything people love about tube sound though. I would be forever happy to live with that sound in my home. But I'd never want to deal with the expense, tube upkeep, heat production or power use that comes with it.

Acapella speakers are far from neutral as well. They are not my cup of tea. But they can create palpable images and clarity in in a room very well. They also will ruthlessly reveal distortion and problems with an amp, especially in the midrange.

So overall, that was an incredibly positive review, given that context. and to be compared so favorably next to those products is amazing :)
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Welcome on the forum Tuckers. Enjoy the Boazu!
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

tuckers wrote: 2022-02-13 09:06 .. I just purchased a Boazu 1.3!

.. I've been looking everywhere for a preamp to mate with my VTV Purifi amp.
Welcome. Congrats. Curious why a Boazu integrated, not a Sagatun preamp, if it's to "mate with [your] VTV Purifi amp"? Some 'next generation' stuff going on? ;)
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-02-14 02:00
tuckers wrote: 2022-02-13 09:06 .. I just purchased a Boazu 1.3!

.. I've been looking everywhere for a preamp to mate with my VTV Purifi amp.
Welcome. Congrats. Curious why a Boazu integrated, not a Sagatun preamp, if it's to "mate with [your] VTV Purifi amp"? Some 'next generation' stuff going on? ;)
Pleased you asked that…..as I wondered the same.
tuckers

Post by tuckers »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-02-14 02:00 Welcome. Congrats. Curious why a Boazu integrated, not a Sagatun preamp, if it's to "mate with [your] VTV Purifi amp"? Some 'next generation' stuff going on? ;)
Well, honestly price was a big factor (used), and simplicity. The VTV purifi sounds amazing for the money, but it is a very complicated design. I will be getting a Holo Serene Preamp to try out at home soon, it has a reputation also of having virtually no sonic footprint. I will mate this with my VTV and see how it compares with the Boazu.