Tundra 2A and Sagatun 1.1 - homeloan at last

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

magnuska

Tundra 2A and Sagatun 1.1 - homeloan at last

Post by magnuska »

Just received today this combo for evaluation .It took some time I know I had advised this to happen a long time ago but its sometime hard to make things happen, now I could loan it for a prolonged period too.

From cold it sounded a bit strange and closed in perhaps, but as time progresses its loosening up. The combo are demo products so they are fully settled but I guess they need a day or two to perform at best after being in transit 4 days.

Prior to this amp I have Teddy pardo pre PR1 and MB-100, 100 watts monoblocks. What strikes me first is how quick and "easy"on its feet this Lejonklou combo is. In comparision my Teddys sound a bit tired and slow. The bass is tighter and deeper and all is a bit more live/real sounding. I have not played at my "normal" 100 watts level yet but I will try to push it later. I have installed a Db meter on my phone and if this is accurate I can listen to around 70-80 db with Teddy´s. And this is loud and clear.
With lejonklou it remains to be tested what spl I will reach. But the point is why need to play loud when the Lejonklou combo lets you hear and enjoy the music at a lower volume. Very good!

So I received also a piece of the new K200 for installation between filter and amp. Fredrik knows what I mean since I have Klångedang T1 speaker system. Have not tried that cable yet since my teddy pardo speaker cable sounds really good but I might test that one.
Have you folks tried the new K200?

So to conclude I can`t think of any scenario that will prevent me from buying these so I am very pleased right now.

Regards Magnus
Last edited by magnuska on 2016-07-19 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra 2A and Sagatun 1.1 - homeloan at last

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Congratulations, that's a good combination of Freddie boxes for your listening pleasure! Are you using the sagatun monos? That's an unbelievably good pre. The stereo is good and I was a little bit nervous about upgrading but monos are a revelation imo.
You might need to re position the speakers too as any changes in equipment can bring new things to the table.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Thank you Ozzzy.

Sorry did not explain - its the Sagatun Stereo version. Yes I guess that the mono will bring alot. Can you elaborate?
Strangely I never heard the Sagatun mono in action so to speak.

Magnus
Sonore Mr streamer/Teddy Powersupply/Didit DAC 212/ Teddy PR/MB100 Rega P 3/Slipsik Klångedang T1
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Magnus!

How exciting! I'm very much looking forward to your impressions of Sagatun/Tundra.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Hi Fredrik!

Day 2 yesterday, at first it was a bit down in performance , with strange sound and harsch treble and in closed presentation. But as " Allsång på skansen" with Orup progressed the live concert from TV begun sounding quite ok.
I really enjoy to watch live shows from TV. Connection from TV via toslink connected to my DAC.

Tundra/Sagatun is now performing fine again today.

I also switched the cable between amp and Klångedang crossover to an 0,8m K200. I found it slightly better than my previous Teddy pardo cable but not night and day difference.

Magnus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Are you switching the amps off or leaving them on?
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

lejonklou wrote:Are you switching the amps off or leaving them on?

I´m leaving them on 24/7
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

magnuska wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Are you switching the amps off or leaving them on?

I´m leaving them on 24/7
Ah, ok!

I do too.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I also keep my Amps on too. I've had my equipment boxed up for two months, I was wondering about loaning it out whilst I did some decoration but got a pair of cold feet!
The monos bring a realism, and a finesse to the music along with a little bit more clarity. You think some ladies sing well? Listen on the monos and, WOW.
However, to improve on the already excellent sagatun is testament to both products and Fredrik's work.
I'm not doing the stereo down, far from it as it's a superb pre amplifier but you owe it to yourself to have a listen. Mono pre, stereo power. That's the sweetspot right there.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

Ozzzy189 wrote:I also keep my Amps on too. I've had my equipment boxed up for two months, I was wondering about loaning it out whilst I did some decoration but got a pair of cold feet!
The monos bring a realism, and a finesse to the music along with a little bit more clarity. You think some ladies sing well? Listen on the monos and, WOW.
However, to improve on the already excellent sagatun is testament to both products and Fredrik's work.
I'm not doing the stereo down, far from it as it's a superb pre amplifier but you owe it to yourself to have a listen. Mono pre, stereo power. That's the sweetspot right there.
So you haven`t been able to play music for so long- must be hard!!

Sometimes a better pre adds some needed "body" and weight to the already clean presentation. Is this what you can hear with monos as well?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Yes kind of. It's the little things such as those that collectively make a big difference.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I think it's fair to say that the Sagatun Monos add some body and weight but I feel it's much more than that. The Sagatun stereo is an excellent preamp and, although different, is musically fully competitive with the best of Linn's discontinued Klimax Kontrol units that I have heard. However, the Sagatun Monos are simply in another league. They better the strengths of the stereo version and the strengths of the KK, presenting music in the most enjoyable and engaging way I have ever heard from any preamp.

Are the Sagatun Monos with the Tundra 2 the sweet spot? In a way, since hierarchically the preamp is more important than the poweramp, and this is quite obvious with the Lejonklou electronics. So it is the best use of that amount of money. On the other hand, I'd say that the sweet spot is actually the Sagatun Monos and the Tundra Monos - if you can afford it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

For me its very important also with the "body and weight" part as an equal part of the whole musicality picture. This is the only thing that the stereo versions are lacking in comparision with the Teddy pardo amps.

My listening room is fairly big and perhaps complicated. The listening area is only a part (5x4m) of a bigger room where behind me it goes on for another 7 meter. I think this could be a factor in the desicion for a more powerful amp?

I enclose an older pic of the listening area only taken from the sofa.

http://www.klangedang.se/bilder/02.jpg

So if one can`t afford the double monos from the start I may start with Tundra monos? Or will I get far with sagatun monos also in consideration with the big room?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

If the budget can't stretch to all Monos, I'd say the Sagatun Monos are more important than the Tundra Monos. Once I heard the Mono pre-amp, I knew I had to have them
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

tokenbrit wrote:If the budget can't stretch to all Monos, I'd say the Sagatun Monos are more important than the Tundra Monos. Once I heard the Mono pre-amp, I knew I had to have them
Yes that would be my "normal" prioroty as well but considering my largely room it may perhaps be better with the
Tundra monos but who knows? I don`t have the possibility to try these at home.

Thank you guys for contributing with your experiences.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote:If the budget can't stretch to all Monos, I'd say the Sagatun Monos are more important than the Tundra Monos. Once I heard the Mono pre-amp, I knew I had to have them
Yes, source first,
Magnus, I would go for Sagatun Monos, Tundra Stereo and JBL3677s.
Sell the Klangedangs with the Teddy Pardos.

Matt
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Absolutely!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

magnuska wrote:
Yes that would be my "normal" prioroty as well but considering my largely room it may perhaps be better with the
Tundra monos but who knows?
You'll fill your room with music with Sagatun Monos and Tundra Stereo, more so than with Sagatun Stereo and Tundra Monos.
The Tundra Monos aren't a bigger sound than the Tundra Stereo - they're just more musically effortless, but not necessary, imo, to fill a larger room; not without the Sagatun Monos. The Tundra Stereo can fill a room, especially if fed by Sagatun Monos.
The Sagatun Monos are musically fuller than the Sagatun Stereo, and would do a better job of filling a larger room with music than the Sagatun Stereo, regardless of your choice of Tundra Stereo or Mono, again imo.
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

tokenbrit wrote:
magnuska wrote:
You'll fill your room with music with Sagatun Monos and Tundra Stereo, more so than with Sagatun Stereo and Tundra Monos.
The Tundra Monos aren't a bigger sound than the Tundra Stereo - they're just more musically effortless, but not necessary, imo, to fill a larger room; not without the Sagatun Monos. The Tundra Stereo can fill a room, especially if fed by Sagatun Monos.
The Sagatun Monos are musically fuller than the Sagatun Stereo, and would do a better job of filling a larger room with music than the Sagatun Stereo, regardless of your choice of Tundra Stereo or Mono, again imo.
Thanks Tokenbrit - just the answer I was hoping to hear.
Now I will let the combo play some nice music and settle some more ...

Regards Magnus
magnuska

Post by magnuska »

matthias wrote:
Yes, source first,
Magnus, I would go for Sagatun Monos, Tundra Stereo and JBL3677s.
Sell the Klangedangs with the Teddy Pardos.

Matt
Hi Matt!

I assume you have heard boths of these speakers as you so boldly can give me this suggestion!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

It's not a strange statement Magnus.
3677 is a LOT more musical than Klångedang. Also more transparent, more dynamic etc.

Personally I haven't compared both with each-other at same time but it's obvious that 3677 is unbelievable fantastic.
It's all about musical understanding!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

tokenbrit wrote:
magnuska wrote:
tokenbrit, what do you mean with "fill the room" and "bigger sounding"?

There is just one solution for sound-related aspects; try each combination in the listening room as each individual looking for different aspects in reproduction of sound.
But regarding musical performance, that can be tested anywhere.

As an example, I consider Monos a LOT more dynamik and powerful than Stereo. (same as 3677 over Klångedang)

Magnus, where are you based? Close to a dealer that can demo and also provide equipment for a demo at home?
If not, I'm sure you can discuss with Fredrik.
And, we now are a few people with 3677 and some Lejonklou boxes - you are most welcome to my house for a demo :) Send a PM so we can sync.
It's all about musical understanding!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Music Lover wrote:tokenbrit, what do you mean with "fill the room" and "bigger sounding"?
Magnus seemed concerned about the size of his listening room, and that appeared to be steering him towards the Tundra Monos... To me, the Monos over the Stereo Tundra are more about extra control & the subtleties of musical performance rather than about more volume or power.
In-line with source first, and in slight contrast to the difference between stereo & mono power amps, the mono Sagatun pre-amps give a musically richer presentation - well described by Thomas:
the Sagatun Monos add some body and weight but I feel it's much more than that. The Sagatun stereo is an excellent preamp and, although different, is musically fully competitive with the best of Linn's discontinued Klimax Kontrol units that I have heard. However, the Sagatun Monos are simply in another league.
IMO, you'll still hear a lot of the benefit of the mono Sagatun pre-amps through the stereo Tundra power amps. I don't know that you'll get the same benefit from using Mono Tundras with Stereo Sagatun.
As you suggest, let your ears decide whether you agree or disagree with my attempts at summarising the difference, and whether your experience matches mine.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I've been in the position to demo all the combinations of pre and power amplifiers both at home and at hidden systems, and although the full mono set up is best obviously, I feel that the Mono pre-amps and stereo power is a real sweetspot and if you can only afford one set of Monos then in my admittedly fairly limited hi-fi opinion compared to most on this fine forum, I'd go for the Mono pre's and a stereo power.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

It's a shame that you're not in the UK, I'd have loaned you mine.