No way back...

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

oudheusa

No way back...

Post by oudheusa »

When I decided to upgrade my audio system last year I knew that I would be climbing slippery slopes. Since my university years (long ago) I had been happy with my core system of Sugden C28 pre and P28 power amp and a self built modification of the legendary Roger LS3/5A monitors. Ofcourse I had been upgrading CD player, DAC and cables over the years, but my speakers and Sugden had remained the untouched ‘holy trinity’. Not because I did not think there was something better, but because I knew that to make a real step in performance it was going to cost (little did I know….)

My upgrade path started relatively modest with a last pair of Kef Reference 201/2 monitors that I picked up at a dealer for an excellent price. Likewise I picked up a second hand Primare I30 amplifier and a Linn Akurate DS1. So far so good. However, I soon felt the Kef’s were capable of more and that the Primare might not be the best match. Based on reviews and recommendations I had set my eyes on a Sugden IA4 Masterclass. That was until Marco told me that he would become the distributor for Lejonklou (who?) and, hey, why not give it a try?
This is where I should have stopped and paused, as from here things started to get seriously out of hand…

As I was unable to attend the listening session in Amsterdam, Marco and Fredrik (who was visiting on the occasion of the new dealership) were kind enough to come to The Hague the day after. I was anxious to start listening, but not until Fredrik had meticulously adjusted the placement of the speakers in my room. That they had been ‘almost in the right place’ I considered as a compliment from Fredrik, but ofcourse the way he placed them simply sounded better. After having listened to the stereo Sagatun and Tundra, we switched to the mono Sagatun’s with the stereo Tundra. The improvement was immediately clear; better placement of the instruments and more detail in the mids and highs. Or should I simply say it just sounded better. The rest of the week I listened to this combination and only switched back a few times to the stereo Sagatun to demonstrate the difference to others. How can two different mono amplifiers make such a difference? We are familiar with the benefits of mono end amplifiers but this seemed silly. Fredrik told me that he had been given the idea by one of his trusted advisors and was sceptical at first, but that he had tried it and that it just worked (which pretty much sums up the way Fredrik designs and builds his amps I think).

As I am writing this I am listening to the mono Sagatun’s with the mono Tundra’s that Marco was kind enough to lend me over the weekend. And again, it is a clear improvement. Where the mono Sagatun’s added placement and better definition in mid and high, the mono Tundra’s add control, dynamics and even more ease of listening. Together it is a stunning combination and I have never heard an amplifier sounding this good. It does not colour the music (which my Sugden did, but in a way I liked) and ‘just’ amplifies the original signal as natural and musically as possible. I did listen to the Sugden IA4 in the meantime but it just wasn’t the same.

So here I am sitting, a couple of months after deciding to upgrade my system and realizing there is no way back really. The ‘only’ decision I have to make is whether I am going to combine the mono Sagatun’s with the stereo or mono Tundra. Or perhaps just forget about the whole upgrade idea and get my old set back from the attic. But I’m afraid there is no choice really… and on the bright side I probably end up owning the first Lejonklou in The Netherlands ;)
Last edited by oudheusa on 2016-03-14 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: No way back...

Post by tokenbrit »

After listening to Sagatun Monos with Tundra Monos there was no going back for me ;)
Congratulations on your future purchase(s) :)
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks for your kind words and detailed feedback!
Fredrik and I were happy to visit you and have our first home installation in your apartment - the catering was also perfect we must say.

I did notice from the beginning that you were just a bit anxious to simply hear the set and press 'play' to start listening, but like Fredrik explained as we unboxed the various components, it is all those small details that end up in playing a big musical difference in the end.
Careful and experted installation is key to make any component and systen sing.

So we started a short soundcheck to become familiar with the current system as it was.
Then looked after electricity, making measurements and get all the phase right. Make sure NAS, router and such were on a different mains.
Installing Sagatuns and Tundra 2A with all the right cabling and let them heat up. Play a test track. Start checking and then positioning the speakers. Play a test track. Checking torques of the speakers. Playing test track. All this (and it's only the summary I give now) was simply needed before we could really evaluate and enjoy the Sagatuns and Tundras. We were about 1.5 hrs further and only then could start the actual demonstration of Sagatun stereo vs Mono with Tundra 2A driving the Kef reference speakers.

Though we brought the complete line-up of Sagatun and Tundra in both stereo and mono iterations, we proposed to demonstrate just the Sagatun Mono vs Stereo with Tundra stereo 2A because of the time schedule and because this made the biggest difference in our opinion - which is indeed a prejudice we have to simply demonstrate to make believe. Mono power amps are well known components, but mono preamps??
Why does one need that? Well, the proof is in the listening...

So when we left, we took the Tundra Monos with us, as there was no space anyway to have put them on, but later that week I not only got some text messages that the Sagatun stereo vs mono was no contest really, but also that a certain curiousity arose about the Tundra Monos. If you could hear those as well??
Certainly sir :-) but about that 'no way back' statement, well the sequel was not initiated by me :-).

So the next week I arranged some extra listening furniture and both Tundra Monos went to The Hague too.
By that time, Sagatun stereo was already taken out of the chain. Now it was just up to the Tundras.
But this also proved a clear and uneven battle, as the Monos seemed just the right amplification that the power hungry KEF reference 201/2s needed...

So, indeed, having heard all the differences, now it's just considering what you want to end up with.
Sorry to have disturbed your 'Sugden' dream, but this did turn out be some kind of wake up call...

Whatever you'll decide, I hope you have experienced and enjoyed some great music from your source, being amplified by these great components that are all built around preserving the signal and keeping the musicality intact. You would not be the first owner of Lejonklou in The Netherlands, as another Dutch member Daniel previously bought Tundra amps 01 and 02, but you could be the first owner of a full set Sagatun and Tundra amps...

Cheers from Amsterdam,

Marco
Hexagon Audio
Last edited by mrco99 on 2016-03-15 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for reporting your impressions, oudheusa!

It was a very enjoyable visit to your place in The Hague. And the raw herring was amazing!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Congratulations and welcome to the cLub!
If you have to mix mono and stereo amps, I'd recommend that you go for mono pre amps. That would give you a fabulous combination and a more enjoyable musical experience than stereo pre with mono power. It's a great feeling knowing where you need to get to and what your next upgrade will be. Enjoy your music, your system's never been better or more enjoyable I bet.
Regards
Daniel
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
oudheusa

Post by oudheusa »

I ordered my set of mono Sagatun's and Tundra's yesterday. After hooking up the mono Tundra's I never went back to the stereo version. ''Didn't you compare?'', Marco of Hexagon Audio asked me. Nope, the difference was clear right from the start. The mono's added control, dynamics and even more listening pleasure, so as I had already 'feared' there was no way back. Fortunately I can continue listening to the mono's until my own set is delivered thanks to great service of Hexagon Audio. I am certain that I will keep this set in place the next 20 years or so. I will now start enjoying and rediscover my music.
Thanks Frederik for such a great product!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Congrats!
Now you need to get 3677 and the dedicated stands that linnofil sell.
Trust me, after hearing THAT combo ...no way back!! :)
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

oudheusa wrote:Thanks Frederik for such a great product!
Thank YOU, oudheusa!

I never got to hear the full Mono-Mono setup in your house, but I can imagine they elevate your KEF's even further.

Happy Easter!
oudheusa

Post by oudheusa »

lejonklou wrote:I never got to hear the full Mono-Mono setup in your house, but I can imagine they elevate your KEF's even further.
You bet! Always welcome to listen or for more raw herring ;)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

oudheusa wrote:You bet! Always welcome to listen or for more raw herring ;)
Thank you!

That herring was more than delicious!