Moderation - split from "The New Lejonklou Streamer"

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Moderation - split from "The New Lejonklou Streamer"

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote:I don't have a problem with a red typeface for moderator posts. It stands out well and is clearly differentiated from the general posts. If anyone has a problem with the colour of a post, they need to be asking themselves what that colour means to them, and why. If they can't come up with an answer, I'm available for consultations for only £125 per hour.

PS. It'll only take 30 seconds! (i.e. £1.04 via PayPal, or only 99p for forum members)
I think I already did! ;-)

Obviously everyone here is more mellowed out after reading the explanations. However, after reading the long explanation by Azazello I still find that particular red a bit loud and blaring. If red is to be used, why not the cooler version used for the names of the moderator and administrator? It would seem to make more sense for it to match.

And I do agree with Music Lover's last post. I also appreciate the humor at the end of Azazello's explanation!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Adding my vote to matching the moderation posts to the colour used for moderators' names. It just feels more moderate than the glary red - consistent & clear.

Since almost all posts today are to this thread it really does appear to be everything in Moderation :)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote:
Spannko wrote:I don't have a problem with a red typeface for moderator posts. It stands out well and is clearly differentiated from the general posts. If anyone has a problem with the colour of a post, they need to be asking themselves what that colour means to them, and why. If they can't come up with an answer, I'm available for consultations for only £125 per hour.

PS. It'll only take 30 seconds! (i.e. £1.04 via PayPal, or only 99p for forum members)

I think I already did! ;-)

Obviously everyone here is more mellowed out after reading the explanations. However, after reading the long explanation by Azazello I still find that particular red a bit loud and blaring. If red is to be used, why not the cooler version used for the names of the moderator and administrator? It would seem to make more sense for it to match.

And I do agree with Music Lover's last post. I also appreciate the humor at the end of Azazello's explanation!

Hmm, (scratching chin). Can you tell me more about what it meant to you to receive a message from your teacher written in red pen?..... Don't answer that question. At 99p per 30 seconds, it could work out pretty expensive!! (Don't be concerned, this comment isn't directed at you personally. We could all spend a small fortune thinking about this kind of thing!!)

My point is: A colour has no meaning other than the one we ascribe to it. I appreciate that red is often associated with danger or anger, but on a forum, we know that we're not in any danger so we shouldn't be alarmed by it . If we are, we need to be asking ourselves why, rather than looking to externalise our feelings and trying to make someone else responsible for them.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

lejonklou wrote:Normal conversation volume is blue. That's the top right box in the first 5 by 5 box.
+1
the players of instruments shall be there..
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko, while I understand and sympathize with what you are saying, I don't agree that colors in themselves are neutral. Colors, being caused by different wavelengths of light, do have different vibrations. There is a reason that red, especially a bright red, is an almost universal symbol of warning: red traffic lights for stop, red flashing lights on emergency vehicles, red painting on stop signs and no parking signs, etc. Not to mention expressions such as "seeing red" and "red in the face". It is also well known that the "cooler" colors such as blue and green are more calming. Indeed it is said in some Indian literature that blue, white and gold have the highest vibrations and are condusive to meditation.

Here is an interesting article on the effect of red on people:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -behavior/

Now, of course, there are some parts of this that are cultural, but there are some parts that are likely not. Most likely some of the reaction to red comes from the danger of fire, molten lava, etc. The automatic association with it being hot and dangerous.

All that being said, you are right that we aren't in danger on the forum. However, I believe there is still an automatic reaction, as some science indicates (and I could link several more articles with studies indication the same thing - indeed, going back and looking at Azazello's reply in this thread, that is mostly bright red, I notice an immediate change in feeling when I scroll to it.)

Even more importantly to me is that Fredrik said that this has come up several times before: "Funny how this can be seen as so aggressive that a change of colour has been suggested not once but several times. Perhaps it really is offensive?". Perhaps, as indicated in the linked article, it is. One thing I have found is that, rather than continuing to beat my head against the wall trying to figure out why it hurts, it is more practical to just stop beating my head against the wall! If this question has come up several times before possibly it is time for some practicality. To me it makes more sense to use a color that is less "alarming" and also more readable. So I feel either the same dark red as the names of the moderator and administrator appear in (which seems to me to make a lot of sense - you can tell where the color comes from) or the blue as a couple have suggested (and I think would be good was well) would be just as effective at stating "this is me in my role as moderator" without causing undue distress. (Note, I'm sure I got the dark red wrong but after trying various different dark reds and not being sure which one matched I just gave up and decided to err on the dark side - ooh! another negative connotation.)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Just realised its staying red