Thoughts around a Lejonklou Streamer

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

finster

Re: The New Lejonklou Streamer

Post by finster »

No experience with this software, but I do have a similar PC based setup already which works rather well and I don't really see what Dalphile offers I can't do already with Foobar on a windows based PC. I assume given it outputs via USB (a standard protocol) to an external DAC there is limited scope to improve audibly on what foobar and similar applications do already?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Tidal now offers MQA streaming:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... etc-31151/

Hopefully they do not abandon streaming in RedBook quality without MQA coding.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

matthias wrote:Tidal now offers MQA streaming:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... etc-31151/

Hopefully they do not abandon streaming in RedBook quality without MQA coding.
Yes. The ability to stream high-res recordings very interesting, hopefully in that it will raise the bar for the business generally, killing off the lossy compresson plague.

With the risk of doing more harm than good they should not do any MQA-processing on the current CD-quality material though!!!
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

MQA is lossy too from what I have read. They just use another algorithm.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Qu ... henticated if that can be trusted)
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ChrBea wrote:MQA is lossy too from what I have read.
Yes, it is.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... post618753

MQA is all about money and not about music.

Matt
Matt

hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

matthias wrote:
ChrBea wrote:MQA is lossy too from what I have read.
Yes, it is.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... post618753
Well, its far from mp3 etc and it's beside my point.

If the claim that MQA could be bettered by 96 kHz, 18 bit FLAC compressed with a similar bandwidth requirement is correct (interesting reading) I would definitely prefer that, but as far as I know there are no such streaming formats as of yet.

The main obstacle in these times are - in my opinion - the conformity of music making, it to fit the reproduction through lossy compression formats (such as mp3) and the listening maynly on ultra-low res units as phones etc.
matthias wrote:MQA is all about money and not about music.
Is that a fact?
Last edited by hcl on 2017-01-07 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

hcl wrote:Is that a fact?
IMO, yes,
money and control in the music industry.
You can not get back the original source file from a MQAed one.
I hope that Linn and Lejonklou never jump on the MQA bandwagon.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... post620949

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-ge ... ots-31199/

http://images.computeraudiophile.com/ca/utimaco_mqa.pdf

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-s ... post623176

Matt
Matt

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

It seems to have gone quiet on the Lejonklou digital player. Is there any news on when it might be ready?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm quiet about this mainly because I'm working on it constantly.

Seven models have been made. Some bad, others good, one really great. But not quite as breathtaking as it needs to be.

Number eight is under construction. This one is technically very complicated and will require months of fine tuning.

If I'm happy with it, I will bring it to RMAF in October.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

lejonklou wrote:I'm quiet about this mainly because I'm working on it constantly.

Seven models have been made. Some bad, others good, one really great. But not quite as breathtaking as it needs to be.

Number eight is under construction. This one is technically very complicated and will require months of fine tuning.

If I'm happy with it, I will bring it to RMAF in October.
Thanks for the update.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

I have seen no mention of multi-room use for the streamer. Is this in the plans? Would it work with Linn DS's?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

SaltyDog wrote:I have seen no mention of multi-room use for the streamer. Is this in the plans? Would it work with Linn DS's?
The answer to the question of multi-room is "It depends".

Our sixth prototype had a design that would have been perfectly suited to a future multi-room expansion. It was split in a Master and a Slave circuit - and the master could control an infinite number of slaves, which made many interesting configurations possible.

Unfortunately, the sixth didn't convince musically. It's still a bit of a mystery, as in theory the solution seemed brilliant. The compact and highly integrated fifth prototype, which I strongly doubt could be expanded with a multi-room feature, was better.

Musical performance and ease of use are the highest priorities. Everything else, including multi-room, could happen if it's possible and worthwhile.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Personally, SQ is my only priority. Don't care about multiroom
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Musical performance and ease of use are the highest priorities. Everything else, including multi-room, could happen if it's possible and worthwhile.
Multi-room is a feature that went unused until recently. Wonderful when used, but the amount of time it gets used would never justify less musical results.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

JPM wrote:Personally, SQ is my only priority. Don't care about multiroom
+1

Matt
Matt

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I just want perceived value, knobs and gadgets.
And a visible output meter.
And a thermionic valve somewhere in the power supply
And for the case to be designed by an Italian
And separate mains supplies for each channel

Tea-making facilities would be over-doing it.

Donuk sunny downtown York
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I think it should be mentioned that unless I'm wrong (in which case Fredrik should correct me) you could certainly use multiple Lejonklou streamers in different rooms and play whatever music you like. The limitation is likely in whether you could sync the multiple rooms so that the music could play in several rooms off a single playlist and in sync. There is also no reason I know why a Lejonklou streamer couldn't work in the same house with Linn streamers, again it is the syncing that is a limitation. We have Linn, Bluesound, Moon, B&O and other streamers running in the store off some of the same music sources (although Bluesound has its own server that the others can't directly talk to). But we can't sync the different brands to the same playlist.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,
does it enable to stream music from services like Tidal?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

ThomasOK wrote:I think it should be mentioned that unless I'm wrong (in which case Fredrik should correct me) you could certainly use multiple Lejonklou streamers in different rooms and play whatever music you like. The limitation is likely in whether you could sync the multiple rooms so that the music could play in several rooms off a single playlist and in sync. There is also no reason I know why a Lejonklou streamer couldn't work in the same house with Linn streamers, again it is the syncing that is a limitation. .

I have never wanted to sync my three streamers and play them simultaneously, and can't think of any reason why I would - it would drive the family completely mad and would mark an abrupt end to my Hi Fi journey :

But more relevant to me is the ability to use the same software on various devices such as ipads/ipods and iphones to control the music - I happen to use Kinsky or Kazoo.

I am hoping that the lejonklou streamer can just be named like the Linn ones, and are visible to Kinsky/kazoo for selection and that the playlist will automatically appear upon selection of the named streamer.

If so, I am really looking forward to this development and have high hopes for the new streamer.

If it is as good as KDS/2 it will be some achievment - KDS/3 level would be amazing and anything beyond that ( at a competative price point- like all other lejonklou products ) would be a killer product.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:Fredrik,
does it enable to stream music from services like Tidal?
We have developed a solution for sending anything that can run on your phone or tablet to the streamer, with very high quality. It works incredibly well.
u252agz wrote:But more relevant to me is the ability to use the same software on various devices such as ipads/ipods and iphones to control the music - I happen to use Kinsky or Kazoo.

I am hoping that the lejonklou streamer can just be named like the Linn ones, and are visible to Kinsky/kazoo for selection and that the playlist will automatically appear upon selection of the named streamer.
We have developed our own app to control the streamer. It's very simple and intuitive. It's unlikely that the streamer will be acessible from Kazoo etc.
u252agz wrote:If it is as good as KDS/2 it will be some achievment - KDS/3 level would be amazing and anything beyond that ( at a competative price point- like all other lejonklou products ) would be a killer product.
My goal with this project is to set a new standard for digital music reproduction. Why so high, you may rightfully ask. Because I've tried many acclaimed streamers and after an initial feeling of satisfaction, I am soon bored and return to my vinyl. I am convinced that digital done right can be better than vinyl - and that's what this product needs to prove.

I should also add that I've never embarked on a more difficult project. So many unexpected surprises - mainly of the character "how on earth can THAT have an impact on the music??". It seems impossible to know when we're done.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote:
I should also add that I've never embarked on a more difficult project. So many unexpected surprises - mainly of the character "how on earth can THAT have an impact on the music??". It seems impossible to know when we're done.
I really like this quote Lejonklou! It made me laugh out loud! So telling. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:My goal with this project is to set a new standard for digital music reproduction. Why so high, you may rightfully ask. Because I've tried many acclaimed streamers and after an initial feeling of satisfaction, I am soon bored and return to my vinyl. I am convinced that digital done right can be better than vinyl - and that's what this product needs to prove.
Fredrik,
this is exactly what I am looking for:-)

All the best for your project

Matt
Matt

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

u252agz wrote: But more relevant to me is the ability to use the same software on various devices such as ipads/ipods and iphones to control the music - I happen to use Kinsky or Kazoo.

Personally, I really dislike Kinsky and Kazoo.
Slow, unstable, different versions affect performance in various ways, not intuitive either.
Linn make excellent streamers, but the importance of a good human interface is not well understood.

I prefer a completely new fresh approach by Fredrik.
It's all about musical understanding!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

In regards to syncing streamers, playing same music...
Never understood the concept of syncing many players in the house.
Why not use the best one and turn up the volume?
Who want to listen to a less good reproduction, when you have one in next room?
It's all about musical understanding!
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Music Lover wrote:In regards to syncing streamers, playing same music...
Never understood the concept of syncing many players in the house.
Why not use the best one and turn up the volume?
Who want to listen to a less good reproduction, when you have one in next room?
That was my take on it for years.

I wouldn't want to trade performance for features, but I would make use of it if available. If you take a poll I doubt it would rate high on the list of must haves.