Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Slipsik 6

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Ron!

Apologies for the late reply.

No, none of my phono stages have input or output transformers. I have however tried it, last time on the output when developing Slipsik 5. I was never happy with the results, as every transformers added a fuzzy character to the music. It sounded "nicer" sonically but less engaging musically.

The experiments resulted in a better servo instead (which keeps the output at zero volts when there's no music, a task which an output transformer also performs).
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: No, none of my phono stages have input or output transformers. I have however tried it, last time on the output when developing Slipsik 5. I was never happy with the results, as every transformers added a fuzzy character to the music. It sounded "nicer" sonically but less engaging musically.
The experiments resulted in a better servo instead (which keeps the output at zero volts when there's no music, a task which an output transformer also performs).
This is very interesting, but why do use Klimax DS output transformers and Akurate DS not?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:This is very interesting, but why do use Klimax DS output transformers and Akurate DS not?
Probably because they got better results with the transformers.

It's very difficult to comment on individual components that are part of a big circuit. Things work as a whole and sometimes "worse" components work much better than "better" components in a given design.

That's also the reason why those companies that "improve" your HiFi units by changing to "better" components inside should be avoided at all cost! It simply doesn't work that way.
artikulate

Post by artikulate »

Thanks Frederick!! I appreciate the information!!

Ron
Ron C.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Hi all
This is my first post.
Some time ago I sold my Uphorik because, after several months of tests, I found it (MM section) too close to the internal board of my AK/1.
Yesterday I received my Slipsik 6.
I will post in the next few days my impressions.

Regards
M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Matteo and welcome!

This will be exciting!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Happy to meet you here Matteo, welcome!

Curious about the results, enjoy your listening sessions.

Caio,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Just out of the box and cold it sounded surprisingly good, but during a 3 hours session I had mixed results.

So I guess that for a fair evaluation, it needs several days of powering and some hours of playing music.

M.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Maybe some user on the forum are willing to share their experiences with the break-in period of Slipsik ...

M
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Matteo!

It depends on how sensitive you are to break in phenomenons. Some are happy from day one, others say months. I say at least two weeks, but the tiny changes stop after 3.5 months approximately.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote:Hi Matteo!

It depends on how sensitive you are to break in phenomenons. Some are happy from day one, others say months. I say at least two weeks, but the tiny changes stop after 3.5 months approximately.
thanks

M
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It should also be mentioned that most products go up and down during their break in period. Sometimes they sound just great, then they might sound like something is not quite right and then they sound even better than before.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I also recommend experimenting with the physical position of my small boxes (Kinki, Gaio, Slipsik, Kikkin). The quality of the support is easily heard in the music and the exact position can also be worth testing.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Several months ago, I sold my Uphorik because, after 6 months of tests, I found it (MM part) to be only slightly better than the internal MM board of my AK/1.

In the last period I was struggling to find and upgrade for my system, from changing the speakers (Akudoriks – out of budget), going aktiv with 109’s (expensive and with unpredictable results), to the amplification (another bet).

However, following the ‘source first’ principle, I then focused myself on my main source (LP12). Already owning the Radikal, I first thought to the Keel (€ 3,000 but with the loss of the Akito’s armlift), then to the EKOS (4,000 € - way out of my budget), to the cartridge (with 3 kids around I do not want to invest in a MC cart) and, finally, I came back to the pre-phono.

Incidentally, I read somewhere a post of ThomasOk in which he stated that the Slipsik 6 was better than Uphorik.

As promised, here my impressions on the Slipsik 6 after 15 days, having followed FL’s advice on burn-in (at least 2 weeks).

During this period, the unit was always powered in and played at least 45 hours.

As anticipated, the unit was good just out of the box.

From day 2 to day 5, the unit was quite disappointing (bright, harsh treble, boomy bass).

From day 6 to day 12, the unit went up and down (sometimes wonderful, sometimes less enjoyable).

From day 13, the unite became more stable and improved continuously.

In my opinion, the Slipsik 6 is far better than my AK/1 MM board, in term of musicality, instruments separation and details. It reminds me the jump from Lingo 3 to Radikal, but for far less money.

In conclusion, I guess that I can confirm what ThomasOk stated: the Slipsik 6 is better than Uphorik and, in my case, a big upgrade without breaking the piggy-bank. I’ve never heard my system play so well.

Now I would to deepen the Sagatun/Tundra combo, but this is a story for another topic.

Regards

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you very much for your thorough report, Matteo!

I'm so happy you enjoy it!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

A shot of the tiny

M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Third week with the Slipsik. The improvements are going on.

I'm not able to properly describe in another tongue my feelings, but the main impression is that I can now hear things never heard before.

I believe that this should be connected to a better instruments separation and to the greater amount of details produced by the Slipsik.

M.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Great to hear you like it so much!
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Matteo wrote: In conclusion, I guess that I can confirm what ThomasOk stated: the Slipsik 6 is better than Uphorik and, in my case, a big upgrade without breaking the piggy-bank.
I have same experience. The difference is quite big.
It's all about musical understanding!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Just listened to Drive (The Cars - Heartbeat City, 1984, first US vinyl pressing).

I had listened to this song thousands of times, but for the first time I just noticed the percussions well defined on the background!

M.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

These reports are making me seriously consider replacing my gaio, and leaving the arm for later.

However the Lejonklou MC stage developments have aroused my curiosity and I might see just how good this will be with Krystal, before deciding.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

In recent years I bought 2/3 vinyls a week. Since I took the Slipsik 6 I climbed to an average of 5/6 vinyls purchased per week!

M.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

That is the best recommendation for any upgrade and a sure sign that there has been a significant step up in musical enjoyment.

Since upgrading the power supply to my Majik LP12, I have been listening to my limited collection of vinyl most days, compared to once a week prior to the change, and am also buying more- though not quite up to 6 a week!

These reports are again making me seriously consider the Slipsik and then use my Gaio for the vintage RP3 in the bedroom.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

u252agz wrote:These reports are again making me seriously consider the Slipsik and then use my Gaio for the vintage RP3 in the bedroom.
You can't go wrong with the Slipsik 6

M.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

It appears that one can't go wrong with any LP12 upgrade as long as it is either Linn or Lejonklou approved - and Gaio or Slipsik 6 may be the 'best value for money/ ease of installation' upgrades for an LP12 with Adikt.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s