Slipsik 6

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Slipsik 6

Post by Matteo »

Just noticed the maracas in Talk Talk - I don’t believe in you [The colour of spring]; never heard them before

M
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Matteo wrote:Just noticed the maracas in Talk Talk - I don’t believe in you [The colour of spring]; never heard them before
One of my favourite songs!
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Matteo wrote:
u252agz wrote:These reports are again making me seriously consider the Slipsik and then use my Gaio for the vintage RP3 in the bedroom.
You can't go wrong with the Slipsik 6

M.
Matteo, your quote here reminds me of how I felt when I purchased my first piece of Lejonklou kit. At the time I had a stock Magik lp12 and I was using a Denon receiver with its phono stage input. Then I borrowed the Slipsik 5 and it was a serious holy cow moment. The amount of extra musicianship and musicality I heard was rather staggering compared to that built in phono stage on the receiver. Small details in the background (keyboards, percussion) were now upfront in an exciting organic way that made me want to listen and take notice. It was like the Adikt and the Slipsik were meant for each other and I suppose this is true. Alas, I was lent the Slipsik to demo and it never made it back to the store :) Mine sounded great right out of the box and eventually Tom soldered on the 5.1 upgrade resistors. Now I would love very much to get the new " now better than Uphorik" 6th generation model but supposedly the cabling that goes into the box is so complicated that it would maybe have to go back to Fredrik or maybe the circuit design is so different that it cannot be upgraded. Last time I asked Tom about this subject he told me that I should buy a Slipsik 6 and maybe sell the 5.1 to recoup some cost but its a bummer since this first piece was my introduction how Fredrik's kit can make the music come alive and almost touch the listener. One day my plan is to A/B the 6 with my 5.1 and see if its really worth it in my system. Finally, I echo the idea that this is a must have upgrade for a Magik LP12 enthusiast. Indeed you can't go wrong with a Slipsik...

Now I think you might be using a Linn amp if I remember your system info correctly, maybe you should check out a Tundra Stereo 2.2...have fun
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

nmakowsk wrote:Matteo, your quote here reminds me of how I felt when I purchased my first piece of Lejonklou kit. At the time I had a stock Magik lp12 and I was using a Denon receiver with its phono stage input. Then I borrowed the Slipsik 5 and it was a serious holy cow moment. The amount of extra musicianship and musicality I heard was rather staggering compared to that built in phono stage on the receiver. Small details in the background (keyboards, percussion) were now upfront in an exciting organic way that made me want to listen and take notice. It was like the Adikt and the Slipsik were meant for each other and I suppose this is true. Alas, I was lent the Slipsik to demo and it never made it back to the store :) Mine sounded great right out of the box and eventually Tom soldered on the 5.1 upgrade resistors. Now I would love very much to get the new " now better than Uphorik" 6th generation model but supposedly the cabling that goes into the box is so complicated that it would maybe have to go back to Fredrik or maybe the circuit design is so different that it cannot be upgraded. Last time I asked Tom about this subject he told me that I should buy a Slipsik 6 and maybe sell the 5.1 to recoup some cost but its a bummer since this first piece was my introduction how Fredrik's kit can make the music come alive and almost touch the listener. One day my plan is to A/B the 6 with my 5.1 and see if its really worth it in my system. Finally, I echo the idea that this is a must have upgrade for a Magik LP12 enthusiast. Indeed you can't go wrong with a Slipsik...

Now I think you might be using a Linn amp if I remember your system info correctly, maybe you should check out a Tundra Stereo 2.2...have fun
Hi nmakowsk!

Thank you for sharing your story and for your kind words!

It's correct that I have so far not been able to make instructions for how to upgrade Slipsik's to version 6. This is due to the manually built screening of the power cord. It's not that it's super complicated, but rather that if it's not done right, it looks the same when inspecting it but doesn't sound any good. For this reason, I decided I had to do every upgrade and build every Slipsik 6 myself, while previous versions were partly pre-assebled by my assembling company and then I just did the soldering, electrical tuning, torqueing, levelling of feet and listening.

The circuit board is completely replaced when upgrading to version 6, regardless of which version you upgrade from. This is something my North American distributor Nokturne Audio can do, as Thomas O'Keefe has calibrated his soldering equipment using my solder down to 1 degree Fahrenheit, which ensures the exact same quality of the joints as the ones I make. So that is not the problem. My explaining of how to assemble the screen is. Shipping the Slipsik to Europe and back is not cheap, so it would be good if I could figure out how to instruct my distributors how to do the full upgrade.

Please accept my apologies that this so far remains a "return to the factory" upgrade.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Slipsik 6.1

Post by lejonklou »

New version of Slipsik: 6.1

What has changed is the connection of the ground screw to the circuit board. Previously it was done with a toothed washer, a soldered tag and a nut. On version 6.1, part of the ground screw is lathed into a pin of 1 mm in diameter, to which the ground wire is directly soldered. The thinness of the lathed pin makes the soldered joint reach optimal temperature.

The result of the upgrade is mainly a tighter bass, which makes the music more fun to listen to.

The price of a Slipsik 6.1 will increase in all currencies. The upgrade cost has not yet been set.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Slipsik 6.1

Post by Music Lover »

u252agz wrote:It appears that one can't go wrong with any LP12 upgrade as long as it is either Linn or Lejonklou approved - and Gaio or Slipsik 6 may be the 'best value for money/ ease of installation' upgrades for an LP12 with Adikt.
Sadly, not so sure regarding Linn nowadays...
Slipsik at 35-40% of the cost, is killing the best MM Linn phono stage.
The 6.1 likely going to be further ahead.
It's all about musical understanding!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Slipsik 6.1

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote:New version of Slipsik: 6.1

What has changed is the connection of the ground screw to the circuit board. Previously it was done with a toothed washer, a soldered tag and a nut. On version 6.1, part of the ground screw is lathed into a pin of 1 mm in diameter, to which the ground wire is directly soldered. The thinness of the lathed pin makes the soldered joint reach optimal temperature.

The result of the upgrade is mainly a tighter bass, which makes the music more fun to listen to.

The price of a Slipsik 6.1 will increase in all currencies. The upgrade cost has not yet been set.
Has the upgrade cost been set (from 6)?

Thanks

M.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Matteo,

Upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1 is €100 ex. shipping

Best regards,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Whilst waiting for the right opportunity to upgrade my Akito to an Ekos SE , I thought I would treat myself to a Slipsik 6.1.

Straight out of the box it sounds just great - big upgrade from the already excellent Gaio 1.

So much more music. Hearing more music and in particular small details and nuances. Vocals are much better, bass is just sublime and emotions coming through even better.

Let’s see how it settles in during burn in - but so far I am delighted with this upgrade, the easiest LP12 upgrade to date and another great product from Fredrik.

An added bonus is that my Gaio has replaced the Rega mini phonostage and dramatically transformed my Rega Planar 3, a deck which was my first Hi Fi purchase as a student in 1984.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

u252agz wrote:Whilst waiting for the right opportunity to upgrade my Akito to an Ekos SE , I thought I would treat myself to a Slipsik 6.1.

Straight out of the box it sounds just great - big upgrade from the already excellent Gaio 1.

So much more music. Hearing more music and in particular small details and nuances. Vocals are much better, bass is just sublime and emotions coming through even better.

Let’s see how it settles in during burn in - but so far I am delighted with this upgrade, the easiest LP12 upgrade to date and another great product from Fredrik.

An added bonus is that my Gaio has replaced the Rega mini phonostage and dramatically transformed my Rega Planar 3, a deck which was my first Hi Fi purchase as a student in 1984.
Great news.

My Slipsik 6 has continuously improved for over 4 months.

M.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote:Whilst waiting for the right opportunity to upgrade my Akito to an Ekos SE , I thought I would treat myself to a Slipsik 6.1.

Reading your initial impressions is pure music to my ears, u252agz.

Thank you!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

+1 nice report.

Ps Wow that Rega has done good service.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yes, and it has never sounded as good as when I tried it briefly with the Slipsik (Couldn't resist!) - amazing what a good phono stage can do.

I still have the original box and the receipt for £225 from Westwood and Mason in Oxford.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
DoomHammer

Post by DoomHammer »

Has anybody tried connecting Slipsik to a Klimax DSM? From what I gather Slipsik has just RCA outputs and KDSM has just XLR inputs. Will it work with Silvers terminated on one side with RCA and another side with XLR?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

DoomHammer wrote:Has anybody tried connecting Slipsik to a Klimax DSM? From what I gather Slipsik has just RCA outputs and KDSM has just XLR inputs. Will it work with Silvers terminated on one side with RCA and another side with XLR?
Yes, it works fine. You need a cable, either balanced or unbalanced, that connects signal out from Slipsik to Hot on the XLR in the other end, and ground on Slipsik to Cold and Ground on the XLR in the other end.

If the cable is unbalanced (which i find usually sounds best), Cold and Ground are joined inside the XLR. If the cable is balanced, they are joined at ground in the RCA end.
champton90

Post by champton90 »

Does anyone have any experience mating the Slipsik 6 with either an Audio Technica AT150MLX or an Audio Technica VM760SLC? I’m very interested to know how well either one of those combinations sounds together.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

champton90 wrote:Does anyone have any experience mating the Slipsik 6 with either an Audio Technica AT150MLX or an Audio Technica VM760SLC? I’m very interested to know how well either one of those combinations sounds together.
Welcome Champton90. I have no idea but Lejonklou or ThomasOK will tell what they know sooner or later. My guess is that they will work great together. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Champton90 and welcome to The Forum!

I tested an AT150 many years ago, not sure if the model is the same today or if it even exists. But I found the loading to be normal, which is often the case with MM cartridges, so I assume a Slipsik will do it justice.

I'm not sure if I've tested a VM760, but from the specifications it should work well. Maybe you can enlighten us on this? If it doesn't fulfill your expectations, I'm sure it can be arranged so that you can return your Slipsik to the retailer.
champton90

Post by champton90 »

lejonklou wrote:Hi Champton90 and welcome to The Forum!

I tested an AT150 many years ago, not sure if the model is the same today or if it even exists. But I found the loading to be normal, which is often the case with MM cartridges, so I assume a Slipsik will do it justice.

I'm not sure if I've tested a VM760, but from the specifications it should work well. Maybe you can enlighten us on this? If it doesn't fulfill your expectations, I'm sure it can be arranged so that you can return your Slipsik to the retailer.
Thank you for the welcome and the feedback! I actually don’t own any Lejonklou products at the moment, but am very interested in getting myself a Slipsik sometime in the next couple of years as a retirement gift to myself.

I currently own an LP12 with cirkus, 1st generation Lingo, 1st generation Ekos, and an Audio Technica AT150MLX (which AT has discontinued and replaced with the VM760SLC). I’ve spoken to Audio Technica and was told if I bought a VM760SLC replacement stylus for my 150MLX, it would essentially be equivalent to a VM760SLC.

Having said all that, I look forward to the day I’ll have a Slipsik (in whatever the latest version is at the time)!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Aha, that explains why they look so similar!

Please be aware that first generation Lingo's are getting rather old. If it's been switched on since you bought it, I would suspect it might soon require service (such as a change of electrolythic capacitors).

Best of luck with your system!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Slipsik 6.1 at one month.

Initially Slipsik was great out of the box and there was quite a bit of variability in musicality over the first two to three weeks of burn in, with good days and not so good days.

By week three, Slipsik was singing just great and continues to improve -this little unassuming box of tricks carries a big punch.

If I had known Slipsik was so good - I suspect I would have done this upgrade immediately after my Kore/Akito or perhaps even as the first upgrade to my Majik LP12.

This must be one of the best value upgrade of an Adikt LP12 ever, and I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

This is great to know and will run ours more.

Listening to our new Rega Aura MC stage today vs Uphorik vs Urika I vs Urika II there is that MM attack speed that Fredrik has always liked - interesting. Maybe not as refined as a top spec LINN LP12 or Rega RP10 but the journey is fun.

I recently upgraded a clients (inherited) LP12, added an old Lingo1 - it was non cirkus - Ittok- Adkit - added £2.50 www.wickes.co.uk four corner brackets - revised arm torques - probably a dogs breakfast you may say but you have to conclude on listening it will one day be similar to petrol vs. diesel vs electric - all have motion - all vary in cost but all have a different emotion. Interesting again. #turntable #turntables #vinylupgrade #lp12 #rega #music #hiddensystems @hiddensystems
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

lejonklou wrote:I also recommend experimenting with the physical position of my small boxes (Kinki, Gaio, Slipsik, Kikkin). The quality of the support is easily heard in the music and the exact position can also be worth testing.
Recently I did some A-A-B test with the positioning of the Slipsik.

Curiously, it seems better on the Radikal (particularly the bass).

M
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Well tested, Matteo!

Lots of people would never try putting it on the Radikal, because surely that can't be any good! But you did and found it best so far.

In lack of space, I've also put it on top of my Akurate Radikal. And each time I've thought it sounded good. Not quite as good as on a separate shelf on the Harmoni rack, though.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

One thing I have found is that sometimes a unit like a Slipsik will sound better on another unit sited on a MimerK than they do on a lesser shelf. They still seem to get some of the benefit of the better shelf. I don’t see why this wouldn’t work with other shelves/racks.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.