Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Slipsik 6

Post by lejonklou »

Finally!

And one month late, Slipsik 6 is ready! This is the best MM phono stage I have made and I am very much looking forward to hearing what you think of it. And whether you think there is anything out there that can make a high performing Moving Magnet cartridge play your records with more convincing emotion.

In this thread, I thought I'd tell you more about the ideas behind it and what makes it special. First of all, a special thanks goes out to Dag Johansson, who saw my Instagram/facebook/News on the website picture of the internal screening of the power cord. He couldn't tell exactly how I was doing it, but sent me a sketch of six alternative ways and their pros and cons. This made me spend another week on building and testing the options he proposed - some I hadn't thought of and some I had rejected due to them seeming too impractical.

In the end Dags suggestions resulted in an improvement of the screening, which brought an additional sense of calm focus to the presentation.

Thank you Dag!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Slipsik 6

Post by macrotech2 »

Congratulations on completing your latest project!

Would this improved screening help any of the other products, and, are you going to give us a clue of your next project?
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Great news. Must be really satisfying when the details come together on a new product, and you know it's ready to go! Congratulations.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you macrotech2 and tokenbrit! Sure feels very good when a product is completed and I sit back (at least for a day) and await feedback.

The screening of the power cord is of high importance in my small boxes, because it runs below and close to the circuit board. And in a phono stage, there are also very weak signals being amplified a lot. In an MM stage in the low bass, the amplification is one thousand times! So no surprise the effect of the screening can be heard in the music.

I did try a similar thing on Tundra a few years ago, screening the incoming mains between the inlet and all the way to the power supplies. The difference was small and it just sounded worse. Then again, the mains run about 10 times further away than in the phono stage and the amplification is 11 times instead of 1000. I still might try it again one day, now that I've had some practice in doing it the right way.

Next project? I have several things cooking, but I'm not sure which one will get ready first. Sometimes it's about luck, about getting all the pieces of the puzzle to fit. And you never know when you're there until you're there.

What I'm likely to spend the most time on is a streamer. One that won't be released until I think it's the most musical digital source in the world.
jlwdm

Post by jlwdm »

A streamer is very exciting. One day off and then it is back to work!!! That is the piece I would like to upgrade.

Jeff
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations! I look forward to reading more about the improvements you made and even more to hearing this new unit.

Looks like it might be time to change your avatar!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lidsmoes

Post by lidsmoes »

Hello, is the gain of the new Slipsik 6 the same (41 db) as the former version?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi lidsmoes!

Yes, exactly the same gain.
lidsmoes

Post by lidsmoes »

Thank you!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

I listened to the new Slipsik 6 last week and managed to compare it to a Slipsik 5.1. I came in to the Tonläget shop when a customer had a 5.1 with him for a comparison. I was kindly invited to sit in and it was very interesting indeed! The difference was obvious and big. With the 5.1 it sounded like the LP12 had a worn Adikt. The music wasn't as good and the difference in sound was big. The Slipsik 6 has a very smooth and refined sound that really impressed me considering the already high quality of the 5.1. As always the music is what matters and it was an obvious improvement in the music, just better! Very tempting to upgrade from my Gaio. I used to have a Slipsik 4 and was happy with the upgrade to Gaio, now I feel like buying a Slipsik again!

The customer with the 5.1 was also really impressed and ordered a 6.0 on the spot. I think that says something!

If I remember correctly, system used was Majik LP12, KDSM, A2200 and Klångedang T1.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

What is the price for Slipsik 6?
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Music Lover wrote:What is the price for Slipsik 6?
In Euro the recommended retail price is 1050.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Linnofil wrote:I listened to the new Slipsik 6 last week and managed to compare it to a Slipsik 5.1.

Very tempting to upgrade from my Gaio. I used to have a Slipsik 4 and was happy with the upgrade to Gaio, now I feel like buying a Slipsik again!

If I remember correctly, system used was Majik LP12, KDSM, A2200 and Klångedang T1.
I always had Gaio to Slipsik as the final upgrade of the Majik Lp12 - but it sounds like it is quite an improvement, in the above system.

Certainly less expensive then a Radikal, which in my mind was the first upgrade; and much less hassle than all the other LP 12 upgrades.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

u252agz wrote:I always had Gaio to Slipsik as the final upgrade of the Majik Lp12 - but it sounds like it is quite an improvement, in the above system.
Even if I think the Slipsik 6 is really great and very worthwhile improvement for most people, I don't think it defies source first logic. But it is a very convenient upgrade since you can do it in the comfort of your own home! It is also easy to test since you can test A to B in a matter of seconds. A Radikal, Ekos SE or Keel will (most likely!) be more important, but also cost a lot more and require a trip to the dealer for setup. So I can see that this is a product/upgrade that will appeal to a lot of vinyl enthusiasts, not only LP12 owners.

I absolutely felt it was worth the cost of upgrade for someone with the Majik LP12. The better the LP12 (add Radikal/Keel/Ekos SE to Majik LP12) is the bigger the difference will be. The price difference between Gaio and Slipsik 6 is about the same price as a Gaio and for that amount of money there is nothing better to do with a Majik LP12. (I.e. Get Slipsik 6 if you have a Gaio or get the Gaio if you don't have a really good phono stage) If you already have a preamp with a decent phono stage, I think that a Kore will likely give you more music for the money than buying a Slipsik 6 without the ability to sell or trade in your previous phono stage.

The Slipsik 6 is certainly not expensive, considering it is probably the worlds best dedicated MM phono stage! The proof is in the pudding as they say and I can only encourage anyone to listen to it and make up their one minds.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks Linnofil,

The hassle of any upgrade to the LP12 for me is quite a big deal, the only Linn dealer whom I trust with this being over 100 miles away.

So a Gaio to Slipsik 6 becomes an interesting proposition-even though not quite as logical as a Radikal.

Kore is interesting ( and even more of a hassle than Radikal in terms of installing !) - I know it is much, much better than the old subchassis; but not sure how much better than the new upgraded Majik subchassis.

I am not sure I have the energy to go and compare 'Majik' vs 'Majik plus Kore' decks at any local Linn dealer, even if they have this available. I suspect most 'LP12s with Kore' at Dealers will be Akurate specification.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
stefan

Post by stefan »

I've been to a Kore demo. Two Majik decks, one with Kore and the other with the latest Lingo. The Kore deck was clearly better. For me it's a nobrainer that you get Kore before a better phonostage.

That Slipsik 6 is better than 5.1 and Gaio is of course also a nobrainer, it wouldn't be released if it wasn't. But exactly how good it is can only be judged comparing with Linns Uphorik. Slipsik 5.1 was good but Uphorik was quite a bit better. Yes, Slipsik is still less than half the price and I like the small box even if it really doesn't save any space. Sounds best on its own dedicated shelf.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks for that.

Difficult to find anything re kore vs nonkore majik on the Linn forum.

I have been told reliably that the order of upgrades should be radikal first, kore second and Akita/ ekos third and then phono stage/ cartridge.

But it is so easy to change the phono stage, that it is tempting to break the rules.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote:I have been told reliably that the order of upgrades should be radikal first, kore second and Akita/ ekos third and then phono stage/ cartridge.
I agree with this. And if you read the Slipsik 'Reason Behind' manuals (just about to publish the 6th version), I have always advocated following the hierarchy. First to last: Motor/mechanics, arm, cartridge, phono stage.

But as you mention, if the long term goal is already set, there's also price, convenience and opportunity that can alter the "ideal order" of the upgrade path.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tried to look up what exactly was involved in the Kore demo I attended. (swedish text)
http://tonlaget.se/aftonhistorik.html
It was one deck with Kore and an outboard Valhalla vs standard Cirkus chassie with Lingo 3. Project arms and Adikt on both. So, the new Majik chassie was not involved here. As said, Kore/Valhalla was clearly better.

Still, Kore is very worthwhile for the money IMO but otherwise price is indeed a factor. I also likely would consider a better phono stage instead of going for expensive upgrades such as Keel or Ekos SE.
More wants more

Post by More wants more »

During the last weeks i have had the chance of comparing the Slipsik 5.1, the Slisik 6 Proto and the new Slipsik 6's.

It started a little dull, until i realized that the Adikt needle was done...but after full service on the LP12 i was ready to play. Overall my stereo plays a lot better and the difference between the Slipsik's is now obvious:

- Slipsik 5.1: Very musical i can lisent to records for hour without tireing my ears.
- Slipsik 6 prototype: Still very musical, less rough in the high tones.
- Slipsik 6: Great dynamic, more details and very pleasent to lisent to.

The Slipsik 6 i compared with is not final version. Fredrik has done some extra tweaks to the final version.
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

More wants more wrote:- Slipsik 5.1: Very musical i can lisent to records for hour without tireing my ears.
- Slipsik 6 prototype: Still very musical, less rough in the high tones.
- Slipsik 6: Great dynamic, more details and very pleasent to lisent to.
Thank you for reporting! And happy to hear that your LP12 got a well deserved service.
More wants more wrote:The Slipsik 6 i compared with is not final version. Fredrik has done some extra tweaks to the final version.
To explain what this is about:

I shipped the very first Slipsik 6 to More wants more. Then Dag Johansson contacted me with his six ideas on how the screening of the power cord could be made. I tested them, found that one of his ideas was indeed better than my original solution, and started assembling Slipsik 6 with this new method.

So the unit that More wants more tried is the only one that doesn't have the improved screening. It's now on its way back to me, so that I can fix it. And then every Slipsik 6 will be in the same and final version.

I had to make 'every' bold in the last sentence, because emotionally it feels important to me that they're all the same. Someone said that I suffer from OCO, Obsessive Compulsive Order. That's OCD without Disorder. :o)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, Fredrik has done it again. A hearty congratulations is in store. The Slipsik 6 is now definitely the most musical MM phono stage I have heard, exceeding the musicality of the Uphorik which was my previous reference. I have never heard the Adikt sound better or more tuneful. (Yes, the Slipsik 6 also has a very balanced and beautiful sound.)

So as to not repeat myself I will point you to two clips I recorded at my house of the Uphorik vs. the Slipsik 6. I posted them without saying what was being compared and you can read the comments of others for yourselves. They are on page 8 of this thread:

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=175
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sounds like a winner Fredrik.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Congratulations Fredrik,
great achievement.
artikulate

Post by artikulate »

Hi

Does slipsik 5 or 6 use an output transformer in its design---just curiously! Thanks

Ron
Ron C.