Feedback R.e. Sagatun 1.1

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

albadrex

Feedback R.e. Sagatun 1.1

Post by albadrex »

hi,

Just wanted to share my recent experience upgrading from a basic Linn Exotik to Sagatun 1.1. I had recently invested in a streamer set up, holding out for a KDS R (0) which was so worth the wait and investment in the set up. Over the time reviewing advice for setting up Linn DS on the lejonklou forum, I had read a variety of posts regarding the equivalent performance of the Sagatun 1.1. I had been looking initially to quickly upgrade the Exotik to a Kikkin, however the reports of forum members who had tried the Sagatun and reported dramatic findings regarding the equivalent Sagatun performance admittedly captured my imagination. I liked the ethos and the extension of the tune dem approach to the elements of the audio path which Frederik appears to be employing within his R&D and product design. I had received some quality impartial advice from Chris at Hidden Systems during the process of upgrading my streamer, and rather than wait to source a Kikkin I actually opted to purchase a Sagatun 1.1 Even though I'm strictly a buyer of older second hand audio equipment, I felt an instinct that the Sagatun would really do the KDS R justice.

I have a clear recollection of the moment I swapped the Exotik over to the Sagatun. I had fixed the comparison with a specific tune dem track. If truth be told a very large smile was evident at this time. I have a background in music engineering and production and electronic music is a particular interest. Immediate clarity accross the frequency range, a beautiful timing and resolution across the lower frequency range and a brightness across the mid to hi range was very obvious but this was a very observed clarity, an apparent detailed change in resolution rather than a frequency push or bias. I have heard a few dramatic changes between units but this was easily the most significant in terms of pre amplification in my experience. Its easy to overuse phrases such as 'soundstage' and 'resolution' but the pace, depth and accent to the best bass production I am aware of (maurizio van oswsld - half of rhythm and sound) really confirmed the Sagatun 1.1 was something special, the production here sounded huge. I have since fed back words such as 'stunning' and 'fantastic' to Chris, though I would prefer others to demo and evidence words for themselves rather than me harp on this forum. I'm aware there have been others who have compared this unit to Latest KK equivalence however although I was unable to make this comparison, I would like to make a very circumspect observation- when the sagatun was fed by a £15 Asda freeview source, the quantity of the output from the sagatun was stunning. I can only surmise here from this observation is that the level of signal preservation that the sagatun achieves is exceptionally good.

The ability to switch from multiple to single source mode is also a worthwhile design feature which delivers a noticeable increase in quality.
the unit appears to fully come into its own after around 40 minutes of warm up time and in my unit this is often also noticeable.

So in short, my congratulations and respect to Frederick - I feel I have made a very solid investment and I've now been able to use my eleven year old daughter as an unbiased tune dem partner for other system changes because the level of clarity on changes in system dynamics is now so obvious, she can lend her ear too when I was tuning other system elements. In general I've found the process of setting into the Sagatun quite emotional actually listening to the depth and clarity it's brought to my system.

I also like how the sagatun looks like it's designed for future upgrading with spare channels built in,
And even though I'm delighting with this new set up, I'm already thinking about how the tundra Stereo will sound over my C5100 D.

With Thanks,

Alastair
KDSR(0), Sagatun 1.1, Tundra 2.0a, JBL 3677, Ofil Stands
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Feedback R.e. Sagatun 1.1

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Congratulations on your new purchase Alastair.
The Sagatun is a fantastic pre amplifier and I absolutely agree with your findings. As some who had active ninkas with lk amplification and went passive with a tundra stereo, I can certainly recommend this particular path, the difference is staggering.
I recently bought a new rack off Chris and if I thought Fredrik's gear was good before, then the difference that made was truly magical. I'll do a write up when I get time.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Bästa Halsningar!
Ozzzy
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Good to read your considered insights, OP. Particularly that Moment Of Truth, when you switched over from one pre- to the other.

Also a keen Rhythm & Sound listener. Any of their 12"s will work the low end of a system.
If you haven't already, might like to try out Rashad Becker's album for auditioning equipment - mastering guru at Dubplates, Berlin.
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for your feedback, Alastair!

It made me really happy to read it.