Slipsik 6 test pilot

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

jewa

Re: Slipsik 6 test pilot

Post by jewa »

I have been listening on the Slipsik 6 prototype for about a week, and I have found that it brings new life to my record collection. It is not very huge difference between the 5.1 and 6 you might say, but to me it brings the air around the instruments making them feel more alive and you get a better sense of the interplay between actual musician, where 5.1 is a bit more of recorded instruments that interplay well. Perhaps the pitch is bit better as well – but I am no expert, haha!

I have put together two listening sets here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/608 ... psik_A.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/608 ... psik_B.zip

Which one do you prefer?

These are my listening notes:

1. The Meters – People Say
Here you can hear that the guitar is in tune with the 6 and probably in tune with the 5.1. The air and atmosphere in the recording is much more apparent. This leaves 5.1 a bit duller than the 6.

2. Maria Callas – Il Corsaro, Act 1: Egli non diede ancor…Non sole tetre immagini – Giuseppe Verdi
What I find most immediate is the richness and texture of the strings. It’s more magical and emotional.

3. Billy Idol – Rebel Yell
This song is a bit static and I feel the 6 keeps my interest during the whole song because it is a bit more dynamic and reveals the small differences throughout the song. Where 5.1 is rhythmic correct but leaves the music a bit more even.

4. Rage Against The Machine – Bulls On Parade
6 brings out the live-feel of the recording and the passion/anger of the singer much more than 5.1, and the 6 brings out a greater sense of space – you can actually feel the walls vibrate.

5. Jan Johansson – Klara Stjärnor
Every time I make some changes in my system I bring out this album, I also choose this song because it is very noisy. Jan Johansson’s playing is all about the touch (”anslag” in swedish). When comparing the 5.1 with the 6, the latter lets you hear how careful he is touching the keys. And the melody has a much better flow.

Great job, Fredrik!!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you jewa!

I love comparing clips! Just downloaded these but only have a portable computer and headphones at hand.

First impression is that it's different but not that easy. But on the last track there is a pitch accuracy of the piano and a subtlety in the interplay that talks to me. And after that the others became easier as well.

Now wouldn't it be funny if I voted for Slipsik 5.1?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Listening again with headphones, I changed my mind. These clips are not easy! In real life with the Slipsik 6 prototype, every single component change I've done has been easier than this.

Regardless: Thank you jewa! Much appreciated!

The Slipsik 6 proto is now on its way towards its third Test Pilot; More Wants More.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Yes this was difficult in my opinion too, when I thought I was sure and took just one more test song to verify it my mind changed, a few times. In the end I just come to the conclusion I preferred Slipsik A most of the times. Slipsik B has some nice "start and stop", separation and dynamic sound qualities that is nice tho, it loses on plain tunefulness imho.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

omg, it's getting late but I think I need to change my mind to Slipsik B as the better one. The perceived tunefulness of A isn't enough to better B. I do feel there is some harmonic advantages in A but it's not enough, is my new conclusion. Good night!

ps; great idea on the wandering prototype and thanks for the contributions. I guess most artist do just that before they release their work, better than a test bench :) Good Luck!
the players of instruments shall be there..
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Efraim roots wrote:omg, it's getting late but I think I need to change my mind to Slipsik B as the better one. The perceived tunefulness of A isn't enough to better B.
I feel the same. At first I felt that A was more pitch accurate, but then it started feeling like a simplification. In a similar way I feel that Slipsik 5 is more complex than Gaio, letting more information pass. B is more complex than A.
Efraim roots wrote:ps; great idea on the wandering prototype and thanks for the contributions. I guess most artist do just that before they release their work, better than a test bench :) Good Luck!
Thank you Efraim!
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

lejonklou wrote:Listening again with headphones, I changed my mind. These clips are not easy! In real life with the Slipsik 6 prototype, every single component change I've done has been easier than this.
When I listened to the clips I recognized the differences I heard at home when I compared the Slipsiks and I agree with Lejonklou that the differences is much bigger in real life when you compare Slipsik 5.1 and Slipsik 6 proto.

Thanks jewa for pointing me towards Jan Johansson, I really liked what I heard and two records is on order.

/kallesprätt
More wants more

Post by More wants more »

The Slipsik 6 finally arrived at my home. The first thing i did was connecting the 6 and started playing my favorite records. I was curious to see how it performed and how it sounded, as a first impression. It was great just playing records not comparing. My opinion was that it all sounded good...

Next was the A and B comparison. Both Slipsik was put on the same shelf, next to each other, so that it was easy to the change cables.

I had selcted three records:
- Beatles, Abbey Road: You never give me our money.
- Talk Talk, The colour of spring: I don't believe in you.
- AC/DC, '74 Jailbreak: You ain't got a hold on me.

First i played long seqences, then shorter. They sounded very much alike... This was very frustrating. I expected to hear the same improvement as the two previous testers. But i didn't get the wow experience... Not until tonight. The music does sound richer and more refined. The Slipsik 5.1 is a bit harsh compared.

I'm surprised that it was so difficult to make the A and B comparisson, but then again this is not something i do on daily bassis.

Thank you for the oppertunity to try out this "smart" little box on my own stereo.

Cheers,
Christian
Last edited by More wants more on 2015-11-09 00:23, edited 2 times in total.
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Christian!

I very much appreciate your review.

Now there is only one Test Pilot left and that is Asraam0. I am just waiting for his confirmation that it's a suitable time.

After Asraam0's review, there will be a lottery arranged. The winner gets to keep the Slipsik 6 prototype.

Slipsik 6 will be launched in December - and I am yet to find out how much better it will be than the prototype. The new circuit board has been completely redrawn and has had two extra shielding layers added, which bury the sensitive tracks. I know this works wonders, but have not yet heard its effect on Slipsik 6.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Our final Test Pilot, Asraam0, has received the proto and is now listening to both KINKI3, Slipsik 5.1 and Prototype Slipsik 6.

We can probably read his thoughts after the weekend.
Asraam0

Post by Asraam0 »

Diary of Proto 6 UK testing.
Day 1:-
I plugged it in and left it for a day to warm up .

Day 2&3:-
I eagerly started by playing a number of specially selected tracks that I felt I knew well. I did not experience a marked improvement on the Slipsik 5.1. Was the bass the same , is there more separation. I was unsure about the listening experience being improved ,the best description I can muster is its different.
I had a similar experience when I first bought the Kinki3 and.comparing it with my Quad 99 phono stage. I was only convinced by living with the Kinki3 for a few weeks as I decided it was definitely more musical. Upgrading to the Slipsik 5.1 was a completely different experience , the improvement was obviosly night and day.
The difference with the Proto 6 is more subtle , I feel I need longer to decide.

Day 4:-
I included some more old tracks to help me with the experimentation. The conclusion I have reached is that the Proto6 is brighter in its potrail of the music, is this better ? I feel I need longer to decide. Maybe the fact that after swapping between the two phono stages many times I have left the Proto6 connected obviously subconsciously I feel it is better.

Tracks included:-
Ane Brum :- Undertow
Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer:- Willie of Winsbury.
Jenifer Warnes :- Famous blue Raincoat.
John Grant :- Pale Green Ghosts.
Carly Simon :- Your so vain.
Plus many more !

Thanks again for the opportunity to trial this unit .You never know I may be able to keep this diary running for a few months to allow it to fully burn in or at least until I have to pass it on

It will be good to get back to just enjoying the music again.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Asraam0!

Unfortunately that will be the end of your diary, as the trial period is over and the Slipsik 6 proto will return to Sweden. A lottery will follow and if you happen to win it, I will change the European power cord to a UK model before it returns to you. If one of the other three Test Pilots wins, it will stay the way it is.

So, to summarise, two pilots were very happy with the performance of the Slipsik 6 proto compared to their Slipsik 5.1. And two pilots felt the differences were small.

I have an idea of how to arrange the lottery. At first I considered basing it on an internet site, but then my son suggested something very old school. I'll get back to you when I've checked it out!
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

lejonklou wrote:Slipsik 6 will be launched in December - and I am yet to find out how much better it will be than the prototype. The new circuit board has been completely redrawn and has had two extra shielding layers added, which bury the sensitive tracks. I know this works wonders, but have not yet heard its effect on Slipsik 6.
Have you compared the new circuit board to Slipsik 6 prototype?
If so, could you please tell us how it performed?

//Kallesprätt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Kallesprätt!

I am expecting the Slipsik 6 boards to be completed next week. Which means I haven't listened to them yet.

I just got the Slipsik 6 proto back from Asraam0, which means I'll arrange the lottery this weekend!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok, a decision has been made regarding how to arrange the lottery. Yesterday my son and I tested filming how we turned an ancient Italian toy bingo-machine, which I loved playing with when I was a kid. Unfortunately it was a bit tricky to arrange the whole scene for camera, with good light and everything visible. And since I currently have 12 units on order, which I have promised to deliver in December (plus an additional 14 if the Gaio's and Slipsik's get ready in time), I decided to save time by doing it in a simpler way:

RANDOM.ORG is a true random number service that generates randomness via atmospheric noise. One of their free services is a Random Sequence Generator, which arranges a sequence of numbers in random order at the push of a button.

The four Slipsik 6 Proto test pilots will each be assigned a number, which corresponds to the order in which they applied. So:

1. jewa
2. kallesprätt
3. More wants more
4. Asraam0

At exactly 8 p.m. tonight, Stockholm time (that's 19.00 GMT or UTC), I will push the Random Sequence Generator button and the first number to appear on this list (the one at the top) is the winner of the Slipsik 6 prototype.

I will take a screenshot of the Random Sequence Generator, where a timestamp is visible. It will say 2015-12-06 19:00:xx UTC, where xx is a few seconds (the generator isn't instantaneous). And then I will post the screenshot here!

Are you ready?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Fifteen minutes to go!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ten
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

five
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Asraam0

Post by Asraam0 »

Congratulations to the winner !
More wants more

Wow...

I guess i'm the winner, then?
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes you are!

The winner is More wants more!
More wants more

Anyways thank you for letting me participate. It was fun and i enjoyed the test periode and also reading the other participants thorough reports.

Looking forward to hear more about the final Slipsik 6
jewa

Post by jewa »

Congrats, More wants more!!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Looks like More got more!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.