Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Slipsik 6 test pilot

Post by lejonklou »

Hi everyone!

It's soon nine years since my first standalone product was introduced; the moving magnet phono stage Slipsik. It's been made in many versions, the latest one being 5.1, released in late 2010. The time has now come for something new!

I started this summer by gathering my Slipsik Ideas notes. I knew there were at least two lists, but I also found a third one, written while making the first Tundra. I arranged the ideas in order from most to least promising. And then I started going through them. Rig, test, listen. Change values, models, directions. Single, double, triple. Change and listen. Repeat.

I now have a couple of things left to do, the most time consuming being a redesign of the circuit board with a four layer layout with extra screening ground planes. I'm fairly confident that's going to boost performance. The current Slipsik 6 prototype is built on a modified Slipsik 5 board. And I intend to make another identical one as I have the parts lying around. So now I wonder:

Is anyone interested in testing this Slipsik 6 prototype and giving me some feedback on how it performs?

To qualify, you need to own a great turntable, preferably with an Adikt cartridge, and a Slipsik 5.1. I am particularly interested in how you think your current Slipsik 5.1 compares to the Slipsik 6 prototype.

And one more thing: You've got to love music and agree that it's all about the thrill! But I guess that's self evident.

To express your interest, simply reply in this thread.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Slipsik 6 test pilot

Post by lejonklou »

I forgot to mention:

The Slipsik 6 prototype will be staying with the test pilot. You don't need to return it.

If there are several test pilots, the prototype will visit each one and then a lottery will decide who gets to keep it.
jewa

Post by jewa »

I would be happy to be a test pilot! I play a top spec LP12 with Slipsik 5.1 + adikt.

/jewa
kampak

Post by kampak »

Oh, great!
I´d love to test a new Slipsik, too (also considering to get a new Phono stage next year...)
Lingo1-LP12-Ekos2-Adikt

btw - is there any Dealer in Germany who plans to offer Lejonklou ?

... well, I don´t have a Slipsik at hand, so I think I´m out :-(

KR, Karsten
Last edited by kampak on 2015-09-18 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Happy to contibute ;-)

LP12-Ekos2-Cirkus-Lingo2-SilverTcable-Adikt-Slipsik 5.1

Cheers from Amsterdam,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

Hi!

I would love to try the Slipsik 6 prototype.

LP12,Radikal,Keel,Ekos2,Adikt,Slipsik 5.1

/Anders
More wants more

Post by More wants more »

This is great news. I'm in the market for an upgrade for my Slipsik 5.1.

I like to contribute, if needed: LP12: Radikal/D, Kore, Ittok LVIII/2, Adikt.

Cheers,
Christian
Last edited by More wants more on 2015-09-20 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you!

jewa, kallesprätt and More wants more are the first three accepted.

kampak: If you somehow get your hands on a Slipsik 5.1, you're welcome to join! Regarding dealers in Germany, a new distributor will be presented within the next few weeks.

As I am not yet finished with the tests, this thread will remain open to applicants.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

And if anyone wondered about mrco99's application, I'm sure he will soon tell you why he can't participate.
clasch66

Post by clasch66 »

lejonklou wrote: Regarding dealers in Germany, a new distributor will be presented within the next few weeks.
Good News! Looking forward to see Lejonklou in Germany!

Best Claus
Mostly Scotland and some Sweden
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

clasch66 wrote:
lejonklou wrote: Regarding dealers in Germany, a new distributor will be presented within the next few weeks.
Good News! Looking forward to see Lejonklou in Germany!

Best Claus
Thank you Claus!

Regarding the application for being a test pilot (with the possibility of winning the prototype Slipsik 6), the 30th of September is the final day to apply. In early October, the prototype will be shipped to the pilots! And while you're listening and giving me feedback, I will be designing the new multi-layer circuit board.

Today I finished an interesting test: Screening the incoming mains cable, inside Slipsik. This is something I've been thinking about for a long time, without really knowing how to assemble it in practice. The way I have now done it is to cover the mains with a copper net and connecting one end of this net to chassis ground. I have so far only listened to it for a few minutes but the result appears to be a cleaner, tighter low bass and no downsides. Well, one downside is that this contraption is really time consuming to fit! And even worse to retrofit, as every part of a Slipsik would need to be de-soldered and removed.

I will try making this shield in a simpler way, if I can. If it doesn't work, I will probably have to go with the copper net.
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

Hi,

it would be a pleasure to me to be a test pilot. :)

Best regards from Germany

Jo
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny (Frank Zappa)

Just Listen
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Jo!

Great! What is your turntable and phono stage? As I wrote in the first post:
To qualify, you need to own a great turntable, preferably with an Adikt cartridge, and a Slipsik 5.1. I am particularly interested in how you think your current Slipsik 5.1 compares to the Slipsik 6 prototype.
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

Hi,

LINN LP12 with Kore, Lingo 2, Ekos 2 and Klyde
LINN Akurate Kontrol/Lingo

Best regards

Jo

Just Listen
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That sounds good, Jo!

However, a Slipsik 5 is required to become a test pilot.

I can arrange so that you get to try a Slipsik 6 in your system, but unfortunately you won't be able to participate in the lottery for winning the prototype.
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

No problem. I just want to test the Phono-Pre and I´m looking forward to hear the Name of the German Distributor/dealer.

PS: I signed up here after I have received a News mail. Meanwhile I have had a closer look and found ou that the new phono stage is designed for MM systems and the Klyde is a MC system. Sorry for the confusion...

Just Listen
DrCave

Post by DrCave »

Hello!

I am on, I have the Phonostage howe is in the Akurate DSM Exakt and Linn LP 12 whit Lingo 3 Göran in Östersund
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Last day of entrance today!
DrCave wrote:Hello!

I am on, I have the Phonostage howe is in the Akurate DSM Exakt and Linn LP 12 whit Lingo 3 Göran in Östersund
Hello DrCave/Göran!

As mentioned two posts above, the test pilot needs to have a Slipsik 5 in order to take part in the lottery.

But of course I will make sure you get to borrow a Slipsik 6 as soon as it's ready.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

JoDeKo wrote:No problem. I just want to test the Phono-Pre and I´m looking forward to hear the Name of the German Distributor/dealer.

PS: I signed up here after I have received a News mail. Meanwhile I have had a closer look and found ou that the new phono stage is designed for MM systems and the Klyde is a MC system. Sorry for the confusion...
Hi JoDeKo!

I am also looking forward to the announcement of the German distributor. Currently their new website is being tested, I hear, and that is the reason for the wait.

Yes, both my phono stages are for MM cartridges. The reason why I haven't yet released an MC stage is that I haven't reached a level of performance that I'm 100% happy with. I am in the fortunate position that I can release what I want - I have no marketing department forcing me to present products that are supposed to "complete the range" or appeal to some imaginary customer who is not really an enthusiast.
Asraam0

Post by Asraam0 »

Hello
I would like to be considered for the test pilot programme.
I have a LP12 ,Ittok ,Adikt,Lingo3 and Kinki3. I realise that you need me to own a Slipsik 5.To this end I am in the process of purchasing one .the seller is on holiday and should be back tomorrow.I can then confirm that I own a Slipsik 5.
I just wanted to register my interest before the deadline ended and giving you the option of a UK based tester.
Thanks again in advance.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for your interest and your applications! The application period is now over.

We now have three, maybe four, test pilots for Slipsik 6:
jewa
kallesprätt
More wants more
Asraam0 (welcome to the forum!) - if he gets the Slipsik 5

My plan is to send my prototype to jewa in the beginning of next week. He can test it for a week and then send it to kallesprätt (I will arrange shipping labels that you can print out), who listens to it for a week, then ships it to More wants more.

Can you all please email me at info@lejonklou.com with your addresses and also if you wish to change week, so that you know you'll have some time to listen.

If Asraam0 joins, I will take care of making it UK ready and shipping it to him. When he's had it for a week, I will arrange the lottery and the winner gets to keep it.

When you've listened to it, I ask you to please share your impressions here, in this thread. And please be perfectly honest - regardless of whether you love it, think it sounds exactly like Slipsik 5 or prefer the 5. What does it do to your favourite music? What does it do to the music you're not as fond of?

It doesn't have to be long. Just your honest impression.
JoDeKo

Post by JoDeKo »

I´m looking forward to some Feedback. :)

Just Listen
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The Slipsik 6 prototype was just now shipped to Test Pilot no 1: Kallesprätt.
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

I had the opportunity to try the new Slipsik 6 prototype for a week and I thought I should share my first impressions with you.

My system consist of:
LP12, Radikal, Keel, Ekos2, Adikt, T-kable, Trampolin 2
Slipsik 5.1
Krds/1
Klimax Kontrol 1/D
Tundra 2
Akurate 212 mk2
Everything is connected with Linn Silvers and K200.
The electronics is placed in a Harmonihylla and the LP12 sits on a HalfDecent wall shelf.

I placed both Slipsiks side by side on my Mimer K top shelf to get easier access to the backside of the Slipsiks so I easier could switch cables. I started by playing a couple of songs with my Slipsik to warm up the rest of the system. Now it was time to try out Slipsik 6, I switched place with the powercords so that I would give the Slipsiks the same conditions to perform and connected the interconnects. The first thing I noticed was how clean it sounded compared to my Slipsik 5.1. The more I listened I found that Slipsik 6 played music with more nuances and feeling than my Slipsik 5.1. Guitars sounded more in tune and with more realism, bassnotes was easier to follow and integrates in a more natural way to the music. Notes start and stop more precisely and flow and timing is much improved.
Slipsik 6 makes the music reach out to you in a way that Slipsik 5.1 is not able to, one night I was in the kitchen making some food and playing with my four months old daughter and still I could hear what was going on in the music despite all the noise in the kitchen. I have never experienced that in the same way with Slipsik 5.1.

Compared to Slipsik 6, my Slipsik 5.1 sounds slow and boomy and it doesn’t drag me in to the music the same way Slipsik 6 does. Slipsik 6 is simply more fun and a damn good phono stage. I wonder how good it will be with the new boards?

Thank you Fredrik for letting me be a test pilot for you prototype.
Now I can just hope to win the lottery…

All the best
/Kallesprätt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you kallesprätt!

That was a great and thorough report. Nothing negative, then?

I am playing the Swedish artist John Holm's song Foreign Night on my second Slipsik 6 proto right now. Never heard it so good.

Received a message from the Swedish Post that the parcel is heading towards jewa. He will probably be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.