Fredrik UK Visit - 19th May South and 20th May North

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

HIDDENSYSTEMS

Fredrik UK Visit - 19th May South and 20th May North

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Secret ?????

Fredrik is over in the UK next week with the new Tundra 2.0 - stereo amp. Price for upgrade TBC. Fredrik ?

The aim is to show the sound improvement from Tundra 1.1 to the updated Tundra 2.0 then over to Tundra Mono 2's with both Sagatun Stereo Pre and the incredible Sagatun Mono's. Sources with be Klimax DS and LP12. Speakers will be either passive Linn Majik 109's, Akudoriks, Akubariks and maybe Totem speakers.

UK Southern Event
He is with us at HiddenSystems, Hartley Wintney during the day of 19th May setting up for a 19.00 music night. Ticket only rather than open door due to demo room space.

UK Northern Event
We have some new dealer visits on the 20th May and will end up at Ozzzy's new pad in Hull (thank you) with all variants of Pre, Power, DS and LP12 so expect Ozzzy to get very excited. Ticket only rather than open door due to home room space with address confirmed on seat availability.

Email or text if you are interested in hearing. info@hiddensystems.co.uk +447831885781

UK Prices attached for reference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Fredrik UK Visit - 19th May South and 20th May North

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Excellent, can't wait to meet up and hear the results of Fredrik's hard work.
My new house is just across the river Humber from Kingston upon Hull, in North Lincolnshire - Barton upon Humber. Hope to see a few people for some music and maybe a curry and a beer afterwards.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tomorrow folks!

Just packed down the Tundra 2 and getting ready to fly.

Hope to see you there!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Have a safe trip Fredrik.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Have a safe trip Fredrik.
Thanks Ozzzy!

See you Wednesday!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Can't wait.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

...and now Tundra Mono 2 against Solo/D
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

lejonklou wrote:...and now Tundra Mono 2 against Solo/D
Eagerly awaiting listener feedback.........
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Perfect demo night - Fredrik conducted completely unbiased and totally fair to all. Great shoot out of lots of kit, introduction of new - Tundra Stereo 2.0 - acknowledgement of analogue preamps- obvious requests given recent news - great music, food and company. Glad we were spared Fredrik's Wham test track but Tears for Fears - Woman in Chains with Klimax DSM/1 and LP12 SE sources plus Passive Akubariks were great combinations. We did try Totem Element Fire's but setup time disappeared and hope to try them tommorow.

Ozzzy - get ready cos the van is heading north...
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

"Tears for Fears - Woman in Chains" - impeccable choice

Through a LP12 SE? Would love to have heard that.

So you switched between Sagatun Mono and KK/2? Then into Tundra Stereo 2, Mono 2 and alternating w. Solo/d.

Listener feedback, pls.....
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Glad it went well. Look forward to reading what members thought.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

OK, here's my recollection of what we compared:

Speakers were always passive Akudoriks. Sources KDSM/1 or LP12 (not sure of spec)
Frederik took great pains to maintain the same power cords, cables, positioning of amps (where possible) and to ensure everything stayed warmed up.

1) Started with power amps on a KDSM/1 / Sagatun Monos front end.
Tundra Stereo 1.2 => Tundra Stereo 2.0 => Tundra Monos

The Stereo 2.0 is a big upgrade, upgrade price to be confirmed but less than a single Mono which is currently £540. Bargain!
Tundra Monos were better again, though some disagreement on how much better compared to the stereo upgrade. Many thought the improvement to the Monos was smaller, but I wasn't so sure. The Monos have an amazing ability to convey musical flow and nuance, that I personally find very beguiling.

2) Fix KDSM/1 and Tundra Monos, and compare pre-amps.
Klimax Kontrol => Sagatun Stereo => Sagatun Monos

I think the general consensus was the Sagatun Stereo presentation was different to the KK, but both have their own qualities. Some preferred the KK, others the Sagatun Stereo.

However, there was no dispute that the Sagatun Monos were the clear winner. It's already down as one of the attendee's next upgrade.

One of the tracks we used for the preamp demo was Nirvana "Come As You Are". Interestingly we all preferred the Tidal version to the HD Tracks 96/24 version on Chris's NAS.

3) Next up, KDSM/1 digital volume direct into Tundra Monos.
Well, there's a nice sounding wall of noise which lost flow, bounce and other musical qualities compared to the preamps. If you hadn't heard the preamps I suppose you might like it, but there you go.
Frederik suggested at this point that how critical it is to maintain all other things equal when doing demonstrations of the digital volume control and comparing to an external preamp.

4) Moving swiftly back to the Sagatun Monos and the LP12 for the last shoot out of the night: Solo/Ds vs Tundra Monos. Played some Eagles, jazz and Tusk by Fleetwood Mac.

The two Solo owners always preferred Solos, but others' opinion varied by track. For example, as a saxophonist, one guy preferred the more realistic sounding sax from the Solos on the jazz, but then preferred the Monos on Tusk.

I can see why some prefer the Solos. They can sound more dynamic, bringing certain elements of the music to the fore in a way that the more even handed Monos do not. However, I'm not sure if the accentuated elements of the music are actually there in the recording. One Solo owner said he felt the Monos were holding back a little. Others preferred the Monos for their even presentation and attention to all aspects of the mix. As a Mono owner, I may be biased, but the killer for me was that I was unconsciously tapping my foot to Tusk both times we heard it on the Monos, but not with the Solos.

I would not switch my Monos for Solos, even if they were offered to me at the same price rather than the three times markup over Solos. It is remarkable that Frederik has produced a preamp and power amps that better Linn's best, at hugely lower cost.

So there you have it. Please will anyone else who was there add their own opinions and correct anything I missed in my summary?

Finally, thanks once again to Frederik and Chris for organizing and compering the evening, and to the other guys there for their great company. Probably the most wide ranging, logically presented and informative demo I've attended.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

macrotech2 wrote: KDSM/1 digital volume direct into Tundra Monos.
Well, there's a nice sounding wall of noise which lost flow, bounce and other musical qualities compared to the preamps. If you hadn't heard the preamps I suppose you might like it, but there you go.
You didn't had time to compare with KK?
Thinking on the huge debate on various forums, due to Linn's decision to discontinue them...
It's all about musical understanding!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

We did a direct comparison with the Sagatun Monos if I remember correctly, but it was obviously worse than any of the preamps in my opinion.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, we went from KK/2 to Sagatun to Sagatun Mono to direct from the KDSM/1. And then back to Sagatun Mono.

Differences were very clear and obvious. I did point out that it's very easy - and common! - to mess up this particular demo by not giving the preamp optimal conditions. Bad interconnects, wrong power cord, wrong outlet or position for the power cord, bad support, not disabling the digital volume etcetera.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Superbly detailed breakdown of the evening, macrotech - thank you.

On a more personal approach, did you sense much difference between your 242s and the Akubarik?
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

moog_man wrote:Superbly detailed breakdown of the evening, macrotech - thank you.

On a more personal approach, did you sense much difference between your 242s and the Akubarik?
Thanks. I did miss a little "oomph" from the Akudoriks, but they are very capable speakers, and well worth a listen. I wouldn't swap my 242s for them on the basis of last night, but if I didn't have 242s already I would consider them.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

moog_man wrote:Superbly detailed breakdown of the evening, macrotech - thank you.
+1
Yes, thanks Macrotech
The choice in music sounds right up my street
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

i know Chris stated akubariks but They were akudoriks.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

I would agree with Macrotech's well written account of events.
It was a good evening, the highlight for me was the Tundra stereo 2 which is significantly better, and an excellent achievement.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

anthony wrote:

i know Chris stated akubariks but They were akudoriks.
Thanks, Anthony and macrotech for correcting me on this - as evidenced in the pic
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Well, well, well. That was an evening I'll never ever forget. Fantastic company and incredible sound, and a real honour to host Fredrik as part of our HiddenSystems oop North event. Time to chill out in the garden and reflect a while, enjoy the sunshine, do a bit of weeding etc and then put everything into words later so I can share the experience with you wonderful forum members.
☺☺☺
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Fewer weeds; more words! ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Where I work in Ann Arbor, chilling out in the garden WITH some weed might be the more common phrasing.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

You guys! On the white wine now, I'll prepare a write up later.