Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra 2 power amplifier

Post by rowlandhills »

Very interesting Anthony.

is this KEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 10, and then 5xTundra 2/2A?
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

But what previous setup are you comparing with?
It's all about musical understanding!
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

rowlandhills wrote:Very interesting Anthony.

is this KEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 10, and then 5xTundra 2/2A?
It is the above, except it's a kds2.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Music Lover wrote:But what previous setup are you comparing with?
Kds2 tundra 2A 242s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Pricewise, at least, a 'fairer'(?) comparison would be KDS2 & 242s with Sagatun & Tundra Monos vs Akurate Exaktbox 10 & 5 Tundras
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

anthony wrote: Into week two using exaktbox, 5 tundras, and 242s.
Initial impressions were technically better, but musicality no better.
Decided to reposition the 242s, found the sweet spot to be 5mm further forward than the equivalent passive setup.
Quite amazing how you can throw so much extra money at a system and it can be all down to speaker placement, to reap the rewards.
Without even applying space settings the musicality was back, and had a very enjoyable evening, so much more insight and subtleties, more power and bass control.
So KDS/2, AKExaktbox10, 5xTundra 2/2A vs KDS/2, Tundra 2A - and same musicality but better sound?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

anthony wrote:Quite amazing how you can throw so much extra money at a system and it can be all down to speaker placement, to reap the rewards.
Yes!

Everyone with experience of installations knows this. In the past it was mandatory to optimise the position with each change between passive and aktiv. If you didn't do that in a shop, people would object and wonder why you were cheating.

And how is it today? On nearly every demo I've attended or heard about during the last years, this step has been omitted on purpose. If you ask why, you get a shrug and a "not important" reply. And the audience usually doesn't protest either, unless they are old-school and/or know better.

Guess which speaker position is being used? The one optimised for the system they want to sell. I find it disgraceful compared to how things were in the past. Back then it was all about educating customers to get the best system they could afford. Now it's about selling stuff to make money.

Thankfully there are still a few serious and talented retailers out there. Support them and please do object if you attend one of those demos where they compare passive with aktiv without moving the speakers!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote: Thankfully there are still a few serious and talented retailers out there. Support them and please do object if you attend one of those demos where they compare passive with aktiv without moving the speakers!
+100 !!!
and when comparing analogue vs Exact without moving the speakers.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Yesterday I visited Anthony to have a listen to the KDS2/Akurate Exakt Box with 5 Tundra stereo amps driving 242's. Anthony has already reported that he was initially disappointed with the system but a recent change in speaker positioning (5 mm !) had transformed the sound. All I can say is that I consider what I heard yesterday to be the best system I have ever listened to. Everything was right about the sound the system was creating - lots of power/depth and all the other superlatives you could add. Absolutely brilliant.

The Akurate Exakt box and Tundra Stereo amps were used in my office system initially with 212s which I have now sold, but will be used with 109s when I get the kit back.

I also bought a set of Keltiks 'to play with' in December - too big for my office system at present but I will be moving next year. They did sound really good but the 242 system is a league above in terms of performance so my plan will be to get 242's after I move.

PS I put the Keltiks on ebay at 1208 today and they had sold by 1330 hrs for the same price I paid for them !
Flatcoat wrote:Yesterday, I visited the person who has looked after my system for something like 25 years who is Anthony on this forum, Whizz on the Linn forum. At present he is using KDS2 with Tundra Stereo 2A and MkII 242's. Simply put it was one of the best systems I have ever heard with all the parameters involved in creating an enjoyable listening experience being present. I had some of my Tundra Stereo amps including the 1.2 and 2.0 spec variants. We compared these and although overall the 2A had the edge, even the 1.2 sounded fantastic in his system. We also listened to a Dynamik Twin compared to the Tundra Stereos and the Tundra amps were definitely superior. All I can say is that Frederik has produced an incredible product - especially when you consider the price.

The other purpose of my visit was to take four of my Tundra Stereo amps and Akurate Exakt 10 channel crossover for Anthony to set up the 242's with 5 Tundra amps ! I will most likely return at Easter to have a listen to that system and see how it performs, and will report back in the future.
Last edited by Flatcoat on 2016-03-28 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

Flatcoat wrote:Yesterday I visited Anthony to have a listen to the KDS2/Akurate Exakt Box with 5 Tundra stereo amps driving 242's.

Ohh, that's a system I really would like to hear...
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Linncredible wrote:
Flatcoat wrote:Yesterday I visited Anthony to have a listen to the KDS2/Akurate Exakt Box with 5 Tundra stereo amps driving 242's.

Ohh, that's a system I really would like to hear...
Me too!
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Suffering from a chronic upgraditis, I wonder if I should go "source first" and switch my Renew DS/0 with a s/h KDS/2, or change the Tundra Stereo 1.2 with Monos 2. What will most likely affect my system most? Costs are almost identical.
Other option at the moment would be a s/h KDS/1 and upgrading my Stereo from 1.2 to 2, but this will be more expensive in the end as I have to switch both components again.
All advices are welcome (or send a PM, as I do not want to hijack the whole thread)
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I've sent you a PM. You could start a new thread with your question so you don't hijack this one.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Source first!!!!
Always best, always.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Source first, then preamp. Then power amp.
Perhaps KRDS1 is also an option?
Much better than KRDS0.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

There could be a Renew KDS 2 option coming inthe near future which could be a good option.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, seeing as Linn has just announced a KDS/3 with a complete overhaul of DAC technology and reportedly a significant upgrade in musicality, now might not be the best time to do that change. It seems there will be Renew DS/2s around and it may also effect used prices on other DS units.

Source first is always the way to go for the most musical enjoyment. But personally I'd wait a bit to see how things settle out. Of course, if you have a chance at a KDS/1 at a spectacular price that would be a different story.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.