Dynavector cartridges with Slipsik 5.1?

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

jyew

Dynavector cartridges with Slipsik 5.1?

Post by jyew »

Hi, I just wanted to get some advice on pairing the Slipsik 5.1 with high-output moving coil cartridges like the Dynavector 20x2. Anyone tried this before? Would love to hear your experience. It's a topic I tried searching for but have yet to find useful advice.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Dynavector cartridges with Slipsik 5.1?

Post by ThomasOK »

We have run the Dynavector DV20x2H through the Slipsik 5.1 and Gaio at the store and the combination works quite well. It is definitely a musical combination. Have not tried it with other high-output MCs.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
jyew

Post by jyew »

Thanks for the reply ThomasOK - and I am glad to hear that the Slipsik 5.1 works well with the DV20x2H. I am currently using a Clearaudio Concept MM and a Audio Technica AT440mla. And if I want to stick to MM cartridges with my LP12/Nima/Lingo2 setup, the Dynavectors seem like a very good choice. Any other cartridges you would recommend to go with the Slipsik?
Sonett

Post by Sonett »

The Lejonklou phono stages were developed using the Linn Adikt.

My experience is certainly not comprehensive and not current, but I have found the following to be true in the past which may prove helpful:

- When comparing a low and high output version of the same cartridge model, the low output version is better. It is generally more detailed and less prone to timing and tonal anomalies. This is interesting considering that the low output version requires a more complex phono amplifier.

- When using the metric of music/cost, a MM cartridge is preferred. In the area of price overlap between the two types, a comparably priced MM is generally superior to a MC. When the additional costs of a MC are added (need to change the cartridge and therefore remove the arm, and possibly a MC phono stage) the savings of a MM are not inconsiderable. These savings are better used improving the table or arm to achieve the most music/cost.

Sadly, the need to fit a new cartridge as opposed to a stylus will require a competent dealer or technician with experience and tools. In today's world, this frequently requires a journey of several hundred miles, especially here in the U.S. This must be considered in the music/cost equation for many. In this light, a Radikal or Keel starts to become far less expensive.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

jyew wrote:Thanks for the reply ThomasOK - and I am glad to hear that the Slipsik 5.1 works well with the DV20x2H. I am currently using a Clearaudio Concept MM and a Audio Technica AT440mla. And if I want to stick to MM cartridges with my LP12/Nima/Lingo2 setup, the Dynavectors seem like a very good choice. Any other cartridges you would recommend to go with the Slipsik?
The Linn Adikt is an excellent MM and was the main reference used in the design of the Slipsik. One of my dealers says that the Lejonklou phono stages work very well with the Clearaudio MMs. Rega cartridges seem to work well also although I prefer the Adikt to the Rega Exakt. Haven't personally tried many others.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
jyew

Post by jyew »

Thanks for the responses Sonett & ThomasOK. I will keep a lookout for a Linn Adikt as well - given both your advice!