New forum

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New forum

Post by matthias »

You only get this function if you are logged in. Logging in just for checking posts is cumbersome especially on a mobile. This mobile version is c**p. Fredrik should give us the Desktop version for our mobiles. Period.

Matt
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

matthias wrote: Logging in
Your PC and mobile does that for you.
It's all about musical understanding!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:
matthias wrote: Logging in
Your PC and mobile does this for you.
This does not change my opinion about this mobile version. The Desktop version is superb. I want the Desktop version on my mobile, nothing else.

Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:Going to "Board Index" I would like to see the author and the time of the last post and a button to go directly to the last post like with the old forum.
Matt and others:

I understand this. If this was added to the mobile version, would you be happy with it or would you still prefer the desktop version always?

Reason I'm asking is that I've discussed this and other requests with the guys at Spire in Uppsala (who built the website, superb company, can't praise them enough) and

1. Removing the mobile version is relatively easy to do. This would leave us with the desktop version only (where I could fine tune features etc), where zooming is needed on small screens.

2. Making it possible to switch between mobile and desktop version is really complicated.

3. Installing support for tapatalk is possible, but not easy.

So I'd like some feedback on whether you prefer an improved mobile version or the removal of it (always desktop). And also how many really want tapatalk (I know of only one so far).

Regarding logging in, I don't understand why you are logging out... Is there a problem with staying logged in?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,
thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.
I have made up my mind:

1.) I want the Desktop version always, nothing else. This version is perfect for my. You can save the costs of changing the mobile version.
2.) Zooming is essentially important, but zooming was possible with the old forum on mobiles too.
3.) Tapatalk is not important for me, you can save the costs.
4.) I like the Desktop version and your website as I dislike the mobile version.

Thanks again

Matt
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

My view is that I'd prefer the desktop version, but could live with the mobile version if others prefer it.

I really would prefer not to have Tapatalk. Several other forums use it and I always have to decline the offer to use it instead of browsing normally.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

rowlandhills wrote:My view is that I'd prefer the desktop version, but could live with the mobile version if others prefer it.
IMO, this mobile version would need such a lot of modifications, that it would end probably in the Desktop version.
In the past we had the same version on our desktops and on our mobile screens. For me it was a delight to use it, at home and on the move.
The Linn Forum does it in the same way: The desktop version is the same on the mobile.
I think we do not need a mobile version.

Matt
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,

I would like to make a suggestion:

Let us try one or two weeks the desktop version on our mobiles and decide later.

Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'd like to get some more opinions first.

So far I have no votes for the mobile version.

All votes have been pro the desktop version (which I agree has pretty much all you need, just a question whether the constant zooming is acceptable); a couple in here, two by email, one by text message and one by phone.

Would like some more votes.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I would be happy with the desktop version only as I think I get a better overview.
If you are familiar with the desktop version from using it on a bigger screen, you know where to zoom to find what you are looking for when browsing on a phone. Harmonization, in another word.

/Erik

PS. And no Tapatalk please, for the same reason and also for the reason mentioned by rowlandhills.DS
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

+1
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

From my point of view, I like the new mobile version. I do not like the constant zooming that follows from having to use a desktop version in a mobile. If the mobile version is omitted, Tapatalk support would be great.
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

I like the mobile version too. It's nice not having to flip the phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4) and zoom. The mobile version has worked fine, in my opinion.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

DelNaja wrote:I like the mobile version too. It's nice not having to flip the phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S4) and zoom. The mobile version has worked fine, in my opinion.
Agree!
And also, zooming should not be needed.

In today's world with all possible technical possibilities, it's too easy to (over)load a great customer experience with ADDING a number of features, features that few use.
But these features going to make it less easy to use the product/service.

Presently all companies create services specially aimed for handheld devices as the usage on the corresponding PC browser service is dropping like a stone in water. (bank services is just one example )

Therefore:
Focusing on the "normal web" is a mistake.
A very forward-thinking strategy for this forum would be to FOCUS development on making the mobile site USER FRIENDLY.
1. activate (if not done) the tracking feature on the site
2. on the top-10 features used, make them even more easy to use. (if I guess: list new posts, write a reply and some more...)
3. features seldom used, well you get the idea.

Statistics is WAY better than making polls in this case as ALL humans want more and more and more. And same as before ;)
Still, most humans only use a FEW features!

Adding stuff isn't the future, removing stuff is!
Simplicity rules, not just in HIFI!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote: And also, zooming should not be needed.
I absolutely disagree, zooming is a must have, even this mobile version allows it.

Matt
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

it's good to be able to zoom. It's not good if it's something you are obliged to do to be able to read and take part of the forum content.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik and others,
I have studied now some audiophile forums sites regarding aspects of the implementation of a full desktop version on a mobile screen. The best one I have found so far (computeraudiophile.com) is reducing the signs per line in a text at the mobile screen.
That means on the desktop you have more than 100 signs per line and on the mobile screen you have 40 to 50 signs per line.
This is very user-friendly and reduces zooming to a minimum. But it has nothing to do with a special mobile version, it is the desktop version with a perfect text block size for mobiles.
Fredrik, I think we need this feature, please ask the guys at Spire.

Thanks

Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you all! Excellent feedback.

Statistics are useful but don't help in this major decision: Mobile version or not. That one is simply a preference.

Will have a look at the computeraudiophile forum.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: Will have a look at the computeraudiophile forum.
When you open this site on your mobile you get first the mobile version. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and open Full Site. Then compare the text block size on your mobile with the text block size on your desktop.

Matt
jewa

Post by jewa »

The forum and website are all what you'd call a "responsive design". They both work great on desktop, iPad and iPhone. (That's the platforms I have access to.) One design that adapts to your browser width. You can view the smartphone version by making your browser thin, and you can view the changes as it adapts.

– Of course you can make further improvements on some platforms, but it's good already.
– If you get the mobile version, you are using a browser/platform that is being ruled out.
– I was eager on tapatalk support, but I agree the tapatalk popup is very annoying.
– It's great to look at statistics, and not just asking for more personal opinions.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

jewa wrote: – Of course you can make further improvements on some platforms, but it's good already.
IMO, the current mobile version is far from good and would need some changes.

Matt
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

matthias wrote:
I absolutely disagree, zooming is a must have, even this mobile version allows it.

Matt
I think you missunderstood the context.
Please look at what DelNaja wrote. I replied to that.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:
matthias wrote:
Matt
I think you missunderstood the context.
Please look at what DelNaja wrote. I replied to that.
Maybe, sorry,
but I tried multiple forum sites without zooming on my mobile, it is awkward.
With a text of around 40 signs per line you need only a minimum of zooming.
But you do not need a special mobile version to achieve this, please have a look at my post above.

Matt
jewa

Post by jewa »

It's possible to make the font size in the stylesheet bigger for the small devices. Or quick fix: flip your phone to horizontal.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

jewa wrote:It's possible to make the font size in the stylesheet bigger for the small devices. Or quick fix: flip your phone to horizontal.
What are you referring to?
No zooming?