Tundra Mono 2

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Is that all Erik? Lol. I take it that you've been privvy to a taster of mono 2?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

When read with the previous post - Eriks reply is wonderfully succinct and to the point.

Having said that, some elaboration would make interesting reading and heighten the sense of anticipation of having the monos upgraded.

As with the 'warm up period' : anticipation of the event can be as pleasurable as the event itself, and is all part of the process.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

u252agz wrote:When read with the previous post - Eriks reply is wonderfully succinct and to the point.
Yes, Erik's comment seems to be telling more than one would think. He's not easily impressed... and he IS impressed. With an exclamation mark :-)

However, I too look forward to more.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Impressed is totally correct.

I find it hard to describe and if it's not a new amp it definitely is a mk2. It's not only better, but also different .The difference is that big.

I had the great opportunity to host Fredrik and the prototypes of Mono 2 and a lot of comparisons was made, and a lot of music played. LP 12 was the main source but also the DS was used.

I hadn't expected what I heard when we swapped from my Monos to the protos, once everything was fine tuned by Fredrik. They dig out a fantastic bass, deep and really in tune with the rest. Totally integrated and much more articulated and tuneful. But not only the bass is better, everything is emotionally taken to a higher level. It's even easier to get dragged into the music and I listen and get involved in a way I have never experience before. Many times, I just said to Fredrik: "this is incredibly good"!

Mono 2 is more "direct" and clear, showing a lot of details and makes it easier to sort everything out without loosing the musical flow from the mk 1.
Sameness is hard to use for such a fantastic amp as the Tundra Mono, but the feeling compared to the mk 2 is such.

We swapped back and forth many times and every time we connected my Mono's, the music seemed compressed and less engaging. Strange, as I find my Mono's to be the best amp I have heard. Until this week!

Is there any downside with new amp? It takes a little longer to come on song when connected, even if warmed up while on substitutes' bench. Not a problem really as I always have my system powered up, but obvious during a demo.

I went from Tundra Stereo to Mono two years ago and the step from Mono 1 to 2 is approximately as big as from Stereo to mono.

I really hope You can explore the difference Yourself, as it is hard to describe in trustful way.

/Erik
valentine

Mono upgrade

Post by valentine »

Any news about the cost of upgrading to the mono2?
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Superb analysis, Erik - thank you.
It seems that the previous comparisons to Linn's K range are about to become unnecessary. Exciting times for Lejonklou. More than ever before, I'm really keen to hear a pair now.
Last edited by moog_man on 2015-01-17 19:50, edited 2 times in total.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your elaborated reply.
What does your current system consist of?

Kind regards,

Marco
Erik

Post by Erik »

Hi Marco,

it concists of LP12,KDS, Sagatun Mono, Tundra Mono and Klångedang T1.

/Erik
valentine

Mono-2

Post by valentine »

Good the read the mono-2 is a huge improvement compared to the first mono's! It could be a good reason to decide to keep my mono's and upgrade them to the mono-2 specifications.

Thanks for sharing your opinion on the tests you did.

In my system I will use the Mono's with a Linn Majik DSM and M109 speakers. Do you expect the mono-2 will be a big upgrade in my system as well, or would you expect a better source and better speakers are a better justification for the upgrade to Mono-2 specification?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Mono-2

Post by tokenbrit »

valentine wrote:Good the read the mono-2 is a huge improvement compared to the first mono's! It could be a good reason to decide to keep my mono's and upgrade them to the mono-2 specifications.

Thanks for sharing your opinio on the tests you did.

In my system I will use the Mono's with a Linn Majik DSM and M109 speakers. Do you expect the mono-2 will be a big upgrade in my system as well, or would you expect a better source and better speakers are a better justification for the upgrade to Mono-2 specification?
In all honesty, I think you would do well to seriously consider a source & pre-amp upgrade. Tundra Mono do not embarrass upstream devices because their focus is on the music not on dissected detail, and Majik is still musical, but you will really appreciate what they can do when fed by better source & pre-amp. I can only imagine that this will be even more so for Tundra Mono 2.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mono upgrade

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for sharing your impressions, Erik!
valentine wrote:Any news about the cost of upgrading to the mono2?
The approximate price for the upgrade is SEK 6000 or €650 or £500 or US$750 per unit.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Erik

Thanks for the detail - worth the wait.

As predicted it has increased my interest from ' looking forward to the upgrade' to ' Cannot wait to get the Mono 2s hooked up'. The journey with the Mono 2s is well and truly underway - and I have yet to listen to them!

I also find that as the system improves in musicality - it is the quality of the Bass which is the most tangible improvement in sound. Most obvious with DS and Preamp, but also with Tundras.

It is the quality and cohesiveness which gets so much better - the quantity/force becomes so unimportant as to be almost irrelevant.

All the above was clearly audible and very enjoyable with my Ninkas - the 242s just made everything even better and more addictive.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
valentine

Upgrade to Mono-2

Post by valentine »

Thanks for the information Fredrik.
From the details I read from Eric about his experience with the Mono-2 it seems a massive upgrade.
Will the warranty be extended after the upgrade (again for 5 years)?

Many thanks,

Daniel
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Thank you Erik for the report. Nice to hear that the improvement is worthwile. Can't wait to hear the Monos myself!

Fredrik, how does the upgrade impact on the price for a new unit?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Upgrade to Mono-2

Post by lejonklou »

valentine wrote:Will the warranty be extended after the upgrade (again for 5 years)?
Yes, the warranty will be extended, to 5 years from the upgrade date.
DelNaja wrote:Fredrik, how does the upgrade impact on the price for a new unit?
The price of a Tundra Mono 2 will be slightly higher than Tundra Mono.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I've had a couple of emails asking whether it's time to send the Tundra Mono's in for upgrade to version 2.

The answer is: Very soon! I just need to find a suitable instrument to supply with it.

A decision was made during the visit to Erik last week. This was to make a final change in the design: To move a trimmer on the board to the rear panel and supply each pair of Tundra Mono 2 with an instrument to let the owner tune the main idling current himself, at home. It's a very simple procedure and only needs to be done once, when the amp has been positioned and left running for a day.

The reason behind this is that a perfect setting of this parameter makes the amp really sing. After having installed my proto pair at Erik's, I noticed on the reading of my instrument that they were about 2% off the optimal value. Not much, but I opened them up and corrected it. Erik heard the difference at once and so did I. It was good before but after the correction it hit the Wow-spot.

Now, I have previously left these kind of trimmers out of my designs. I know they exist in the tube world, where users can trim parameters to optimize the sound. But I have viewed this as a bit messy and over complicated. In this case, however, I had to give in. This setting is just too important. And it's so easy to do.

On the rear of Tundra Mono 2, you will find two new things: One status port, where you connect the supplied instrument. And one red pin, which you can turn with your fingers, or with a small screwdriver, until your instrument shows the optimal value. This value will be written on each supplied instrument (they will be individually tested).

The tests associated with moving the trimmer from the board to the rear plate were finished today. I am now searching for the right instrument to provide.

Apologies for the delays - this was the second one! For me personally, they have been necessary. I have needed to try, turn, test and tune every detail I could think of. Not having any untried idea haunt me later.

I will inform all retailers and distributors when Tundra Mono 2 and the upgrade from the original version are available. And I will also notify you by a post here!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

We as end users won't be required to open up the unit though will we Fredrik? I'm not sure if that bit was clear or not. I presume the little bits you've added are a measure to allow adjustment without opening the case and ruining the torque settings?
Thanks for the update, I can't wait to go to see Chris and have a listen and a curry!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ozzzy189 wrote:We as end users won't be required to open up the unit though will we Fredrik?
Correct! Units should never be opened.

No need to either, as all adjustments have now either become self-adjusting or moved to the rear panel.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ladies and gentlemen!

Tundra Mono 2 is now released!

Upgrades of original Tundra Mono's will begin next week. Please contact your retailer or distributor to have them book the upgrade before you deliver them your amps. This is just to make sure your waiting time is as short as possible. The upgrade is labour intensive and there will be a queue during the first weeks.

The upgrade price per unit is SEK 5800, EUR 650, GBP 492 or USD 700. In Europe, all units will be shipped to Lejonklou HiFi in Sweden for the upgrade and in North America to Nokturne Audio in Westland, MI. There will be a few more weeks until Nokturne has received the parts and manual - apologies for that.

The price of a new Tundra Mono 2 will rise slightly in Sweden (to SEK 29750) and Europe (EUR 3350), but will remain the same as for the original version in the UK and North America. Due to a strong British Pound and US Dollar against SEK, other Lejonklou products will drop in price in the UK and USA.

Now I am very much looking forward to your feedback, once you've had a good listen to them. That part is my greatest reward!
Erik

Post by Erik »

Great news!
I'm very keen to hear what has happened since I heard the prototypes. As you all might understand, I think it was a fundamental step from the original TM.

/Erik
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have started upgrading the first Tundra Mono to version 2. And after 4 hours of work and still having the rear plate status port and adjuster left to install, I have just realized that I've made a mistake when setting the upgrade price. It's too low and doesn't cover the labour involved. I need to raise it.

The new upgrade prises are raised by 10% and can be found below. Those of you who have already booked your upgrade can pay the old price, which I stated two posts up in the thread.

In Sweden: SEK 6375
In the UK: £540
In the EU: €710
In the US: $770

I hope you will all find this acceptable. 10% doesn't fully cover the extra labour, but I felt it was a reasonable figure that wouldn't make anyone too upset.

I was surprised that the first upgrade couldn't be completed in four hours. I had estimated three at the most. One reason is that applying the thermal interface material is really tricky. Surfaces have to be cleaned and every step taken slow in order not to ruin it. Apart from this, I like to do every step carefully, to make sure I send out a perfect unit. And I know Thomas OK in the US feels the same.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Congratulations Fredrik! Still a lot cheaper than a dynamik upgrade! Good luck with your new improved tundra monos.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Ozzzy!

I just got an email with the pricing of "some other upgrades" and the message 'Don't worry!' Nobody's been upset so far.

Hope to see you soon when I visit the UK (date not set).
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I'm sure no-one will be upset Fredrik. The upgrade is still a bargain. I'm more concerned that you're still not charging enough for your time!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for your concern macrotech!

I am fortunate to have enough of all necessities. I run a tight financial ship and only have one expensive hobby. Luckily that hobby is my job since the fall of 2005, when my first commercial phono stage was released.

Wait a minute! This company is soon ten years old!

I didn't realize until just now.