Tundra Mono 2

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra Mono 2

Post by Music Lover »

Been a frustrating day today with the performance going up/down like a roller-coaster but NOW it's pretty good.
The bass is more in tune. More harmony overall. Still a tad stiff and hard but promising!

And my wife looked at them stating "looking great!" Like the old days with 4*Klout's.
Never liked the high-end design of the Klimax boxes. I prefer a low-key design that impress with it's performance.
It's all about musical understanding!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Fredrik suggested I should connect the multimeter adjusting the trim dial.
My intention was to wait until break-in was completed but just gave it a try.

Both amps were initially on 21.0 and were adjusted down to 20.4 (written by Fredrik on the back side on the multimeter as each pair of Mono has a unique value)

Better musical flow as a result! Great stuff this :)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Hi, me again :)
10 days of 24/7 running in and during three rather short occasions I have heard the true beauty of Mono2.
As I previously said, it's the most musical amp I ever had the privilege hearing!

When I try to describe the qualities, it's ONE WORD that I'm getting back to over and over again - FLOW !
The second word is harmonious. The musical flow is nothing but amazing. Other aspects in reproduction suddenly feel irrelevant.

I'm extremely impressed with the achievement by Fredrik!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Music Lover!

Apart from the pair of Tundra Mono 2, I also resoldered your speaker cables, so some burn-in variations are inevitable. The plan is, however, that they will fade away and leave you on that peak in performance that you have apparently experienced three times already.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Music Lover wrote:Hi, me again :)
10 days of 24/7 running in and during three rather short occasions I have heard the true beauty of Mono2.
As I previously said, it's the most musical amp I ever had the privilege hearing!

When I try to describe the qualities, it's ONE WORD that I'm getting back to over and over again - FLOW !
The second word is harmonious. The musical flow is nothing but amazing. Other aspects in reproduction suddenly feel irrelevant.

I spent this evening listening - mine have been on constant and have yet to adjust voltage but your words are very correct - amazing achievement and product to cherish - you do feel very good, awake and energised after listening - maybe just me
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I may have said earlier that I was in no rush to upgrade, the standard Monos being so good. However, after reading the recent reports I have now changed my mind.

I need the Mono 2s.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Tundra Two Thursday.

Chris of Hidden Systems kindly drove to my place, bringing a shiny white estate full of music producing kit.

It was a logistic achievement to accommodate the days demonstrations, and passenger!

Flatcoat drove from the opposite direction.

There were many combinations, but in summary,

1/ KDSM1 into Tundra mono 2, Klimax 350P

2/ Add Sagatun monos.

3/Compare KDSM1 with RKDS1

4/ Substitute Klimax 350 with Akudoriks

Conclusions....

Tundra Mono 2 very relaxing and enjoyable, perhaps on my own here, I was always drawn to Tundra stereo over Tundra mono 1, I found mono 2 has addressed this for me.

Adding Sagatun monos added a level of refinement.

KDSM1 was significantly better than RKDS1 into Sagatuns.

Akudoriks are amazing speakers with deep controlled bass, and in combination with the above set up, were thoroughly involving and you could listen all day, still looking forwards to the next track.

After much box changing we adjourned into Harpenden, where a pleasant day was completed by 3 excellent chicken salads, and top coffees at OkkA cafe.....thanks Keith!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

You're not alone Anthony, my original posts reflect the exact same view regarding stereo vs mono tundras. One thing I really don't believe though...... Salad? No way!!
☺☺☺
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

How does Mr flatcoat feel now he's changed from mono to exakt? Do you think a pair sagatun and mono 2 into doriks is an excellent comparison to an exakt system of comparable price?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

anthony wrote: 3/Compare KDSM1 with RKDS1

Pity you didn't had a KDS/1 at hand so you could compare that with KDSM/1 (given the latest upgrade offer from Linn, stating that KDS/2 then get same enhanced circuit layout as KDSM/1) */

Also like to hear more thoughts on K350 vs Akudoriks.

*/ something Linn didn't say when KDSM/1 was released - strange IMHO
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Music Lover wrote:
anthony wrote: 3/Compare KDSM1 with RKDS1

Pity you didn't had a KDS/1 at hand so you could compare that with KDSM/1 (given the latest upgrade offer from Linn, stating that KDS/2 then get same enhanced circuit layout as KDSM/1) */

Also like to hear more thoughts on K350 vs Akudoriks.

*/ something Linn didn't say when KDSM/1 was released - strange IMHO
The difference between KDSM1 and RKDS1 was significantly larger than between a RKDS1 and KDS1
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Music Lover wrote:Hi, me again :)

ML, I think you are the first customer on this forum to have a pair installed on your system, so forgive the persistent questioning... we are very curious. Is it continuing to impress and improve on a daily basis?
It is an excellent endorsement that you exchanged these without auditioning them from your previous amps.
Finally, what speakers are they powering? Apologies if this information has recently been detailed.
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm pretty sure that Erik had the first pair which he uses on Klangedang T1s (I don't know how to get the little circle over the a). ML had 242 Mk1s at last report.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

ThomasOK wrote:I'm pretty sure that Erik had the first pair which he uses on Klangedang T1s (I don't know how to get the little circle over the a). ML had 242 Mk1s at last report.

ML what happened to your Komris?
Erik

Post by Erik »

Correct, I had the first pair upgraded to TM2. Fredrik did first part of the run in as I was away from home when they were ready for shipping.
They did go up and down in performance but not at all in the way ML describes. On the other hand, he bought a brand new pair.

They keep on impressing and are better from what I remember the prototypes. I strongly doubt there is a better amp on the market. The difference from mk1 feels like a major source upgrade.

/Erik, in front of a pair of Klångedang T1.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

The variations in performance likely origin from the K200's which were re-soldered (Speakon to bananas) in the amp side. They were not brand new.
The Monos have been quite stable performers during last week. On a very high level.
Miss my Komris badly each and every day, big mistakes selling (long story). Nothing else get remotely close to the live feeling, slam and bass control. Would love to compare them in my room with Klångadang. I bet Kongedang is more musical but can I live without the bass/dynamics?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

anthony wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:I'm pretty sure that Erik had the first pair which he uses on Klangedang T1s (I don't know how to get the little circle over the a). ML had 242 Mk1s at last report.

ML what happened to your Komris?
Bad question! Same thing that happened to my original REL B1 - sold to make way for the improved model that never materialized. In my case a replacement materialized, it just wasn't very good. In the case of ML it just never materialized at all.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't have a musical review of the Tundra Mono 2s yet but should be able to report soon. But I have upgraded my first pair over here and it certainly makes you appreciate the level of detail Fredrik goes through with his products. I think he also underplays some things. There are other improvements besides those he mentioned.

I have to say that I found one procedure interesting and typical of Fredrik. After the case is taken apart the first instruction is to take the old torque label off the bottom of the case and clean with alcohol to get all the adhesive off (there are some new torques with the upgrade so a new label is supplied). The last instruction before putting the outer case back on is to attach the new torque label to the SIDE of the case as it sounds better there than the bottom! Would anybody but Fredrik even think to check something like that? I didn't do an A/B - I trust the master. But I did check the new torques to make sure they weren't different on my driver (a couple were by one notch and the two others were the same) and I verified that the new torque on the ground is really good and that 1 notch is indeed quite critical there as I was told it would be.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Thomas!

Indeed it sounds a tad better when the torque label is on the side of the case rather than on the bottom. This I found out when trying to improve the case itself and see if any additional damping was necessary. It turned out that the copper has some very nice properties, far better than aluminium it appears. And with the copper blocks in place, as little damping as possible made the case sound optimal. Both the bottom and the lid are sensitive, so moving the position of the torque label actually made a difference (silly as it may seem).

Right now I'm on a train to Gothenburg, for a visit to Tonläget HiFi. This evening I will be demonstrating Tundra Mono 2 versus the originals. And I will also announce a small but significant piece of news. Something I think many of you will appreciate.

Hope to meet some of you tonight!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Music Lover wrote: Miss my Komris badly each and every day, big mistakes selling (long story). Nothing else get remotely close to the live feeling, slam and bass control. Would love to compare them in my room with Klångadang. I bet Kongedang is more musical but can I live without the bass/dynamics?
I can concur with your thoughts, as I still miss my Keltik setup as well. That slam is so addictive.
A comfort to know I couldn´t afford to drive it with 8 Monos anyway, but Komri would be possible with just 2 Monos. They just never show up, and would be too big too, until I would get a dedicated listeing room.

Now I am driving a pair of Klangedangs with original Monos.
I tried a sub (Afekt and 10.25) but both didn´t sound good at all.

For their size, the (bass) performance of Klangedang is remarkable, and they blend in perfectly with our interior.
Very happy with them!
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

lejonklou wrote:I will also announce a small but significant piece of news. Something I think many of you will appreciate.
How you love to tantalise us with these discreet nuggets
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

A short report.
Compared Mono with Mono2 - a clear step up! Big for being a power amp.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It's pretty late over there now so where are the reports? My tongue is getting sore biting it to keep from spilling the beans!
The LP12 Whisperer
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

So spill them!!!!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Had to wait for Fredriks' OK.

Surprise is Sagatun 1.1 in both Stereo and Mono. I've had it on my personal units for a few days and it is really nice. A definite improvement in the groove of the music.

New ground wire, precision trimmed and soldered - same as used in the Tundra Mono 2. Also new torque that is more musical on the ground (courtesy of Paolo).

This will be an inexpensive upgrade running $100US each for parts and labor and 1000SEK or €110 each (don't know £s). All prices plus shipping.
The LP12 Whisperer