Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok then:

TUNDRA MONO 2

estimated release Jan 2015
more info soon
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Wow, that's big news! Bigger than I'd have thought. Now I'm REALLY excited :)
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

That's just what I was hoping for. Hopefully a Solo killer, to go with the Kontrol killer.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

lejonklou wrote:Ok then:

TUNDRA MONO 2
daaaammmm....... What does this mean ???
More power.... more refined 'something else'..... what !
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Wow, that is very exciting news!
Does Tundra Mono 2 share any technologies or insights with Sagatun Mono?
Futhermore will the current mono be upgradeable?

I hope some of the visitors will enlighten us how the evening went and what their impressions were.

Congrats Fredrik, knowing you won't release anything new unless it means a real musical improvement, I can't wait to have a listen.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

moog_man wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Ok then:

TUNDRA MONO 2
daaaammmm....... What does this mean ???
More power.... more refined 'something else'..... what !
From what I've been told no significant increase in power but a significant improvement in musicality, dynamics and control. Without spilling all the beans it allows the output devices to work in a more nearly perfect environment improving their operation. Currently I find the Monos to be already superior to Solos in the US where they are run at 120 Volts. I would expect this upgrade to make the improvement more substantial and obvious.

Considering Fredrik is calling it Tundra Mono 2 and not 1.2 or similar I expect the improvement will not be small. Older units will be upgradeable as usual.
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

Sounds great! Hope it will be followed by something for Tundra stereo too! :-)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote:From what I've been told .. a significant improvement in musicality, dynamics and control... I expect the improvement will not be small. Older units will be upgradeable as usual.
Great news. Hope to read what folks thought from the sneak preview at LYD.
Thanks for the update Tom, and for the ongoing commitment to improving your already excellent products Fredrik.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

tokenbrit wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:From what I've been told .. a significant improvement in musicality, dynamics and control... I expect the improvement will not be small. Older units will be upgradeable as usual.
Great news. Hope to read what folks thought from the sneak preview at LYD.
Thanks for the update Tom, and for the ongoing commitment to improving your already excellent products Fredrik.

Yes, Thomas - thanks indeed for the insights. Very interesting.
This is exciting news - not least because no-one anticipated it. Now we will want to hear the improvements.
Superb that existing Tundra owners can upgrade their units.
Of course, everyone's going to ignore the Jan '15 release date now. Price, please, Fredrik :P
valentine

Upgrade Mono's

Post by valentine »

Is it possible to upgrade the current Tundra Mono into the Tundra Mono 2?
moog_man

Re: Upgrade Mono's

Post by moog_man »

valentine wrote:Is it possible to upgrade the current Tundra Mono into the Tundra Mono 2?

Seems so :)
ThomasOK wrote:Fredrik is calling it Tundra Mono 2 and not 1.2 or similar I expect the improvement will not be small. Older units will be upgradeable as usual.
LYD

Post by LYD »

Hello everybody!

I'm Mats Persson, the owner of LYD HiFi in Umeå, Sweden. I've been working with Lejonklou's phono stages for a couple of years now. Until last week I had never experienced the Tundra/Sagatun combination. Needless to say I was as excited as the customers who showed up at the event. This demo was nothing like the ones I'm used to. This time we actually played and enjoyed music instead of talking tech and listening to reference recordings.

I'll try to get back with a better report later on. For now I just want to thank Fredrik for making the long trip to Umeå. Hopefully just the first of many trips up here.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Great, Mats
Look forward to reading more of your thoughts when you get a minute.
cheers,
LYD

Post by LYD »

OK, here goes

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm a small dealer in the north of Sweden. I focus primarily on british brands. Naim, Neat, Acoustic Energy, Rega, Spendor and KEF are some of the brands i sell. Based on the performance of Lejonklou's phono stages I was very curious about the Tundra/Sagatun products. Fredrik brought the Slipsik phono stage and the mono and stereo versions of Tundra/Sagatun. These beautiful boxes were placed in two Quadraspire Evo-racks and the speaker cables eventually reached a pair of Spendor A6R:s. So far so good. A very nice looking rig indeed. I really like the look and size of the Lejonklou kit. Slim and sleek with a great feel.

What about the sound then? I've rarely, or maybe never, heard something so alive and open as the Tundra/Sagatun combination. It makes music come alive and sound very effortless. When the equipment is at this level it seems rather pointless to go into the technical details of the sound. These boxes play music. Nothing more, nothing less. They make you forget about the HiFi-bits and lets you focus on the music. They do seem to force you to listen and may not be suited for lounge listening.

During the evening we played a big variation of music and my favourite moments were Tom Waits's big in Japan and Chet Baker's my funny valentine. Especially the Tom Waits track came alive in a way I've never heard it before.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks 'LYD'. Fredrik's products do "play music" and make you forget about 'hifi' don't they? :)

Interesting that you used Spendor A6R speakers. I use Sagatun & Tundra with S8e's...

Did you get to hear the difference / improvement from Tundra Mono (1) to Tundra Mono 2
LYD

Post by LYD »

tokenbrit wrote:Thanks 'LYD'. Fredrik's products do "play music" and make you forget about 'hifi' don't they? :)

Interesting that you used Spendor A6R speakers. I use Sagatun & Tundra with S8e's...

Did you get to hear the difference / improvement from Tundra Mono (1) to Tundra Mono 2
Yeah, they have that special x-factor that renders the usual terminology useless.

The A6R:s were Fredrik's choice after listening to a number of speakers in the shop. I can imagine that your S8e:s make a nice sound aswell.

I did not get to hear the improvement from Tundra 1 to Tundra 2. If I remember correctly the Tundra Stereo was of the old version and the Monos were the new ones. Or maybe the other way around?
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

This is excellent news, I was hoping that there was more to squeeze out of the tundra mono. Exciting times, can't wait to hear the difference.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

LYD wrote:I did not get to hear the improvement from Tundra 1 to Tundra 2. If I remember correctly the Tundra Stereo was of the old version and the Monos were the new ones. Or maybe the other way around?
There was no demonstration of Tundra Mono 1 versus 2, because I only brought my prototype pair of Tundra 2. No Tundra Mono 1.

So in terms of power amps, we compared Tundra stereo with proto Tundra Mono 2. Some guests thought this was the biggest difference of the evening. I said that although you may be right in that, there is a hierarchy when building a system, which makes the combination Sagatun Mono+Tundra stereo far superior to Sagatun stereo+Tundra Mono 2.

All demonstrations of Tundra stereo vs proto Tundra Mono 2 were made using Sagatun Mono preamps.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: .. in terms of power amps, we compared Tundra stereo with proto Tundra Mono 2. Some guests thought this was the biggest difference of the evening. I said that although you may be right in that, there is a hierarchy when building a system, which makes the combination Sagatun Mono+Tundra stereo far superior to Sagatun stereo+Tundra Mono 2.
Makes sense, Frederik, both demo & hierarchy - thanks. If you have managed to make Tundra Stereo to Mono 2 as big a difference / improvement, if not bigger than Sagatun Stereo to Mono, then that's all I need to know. I look (hear?) forward to Jan and getting my Tundra Monos upgraded - it will be a happy new year :)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Seeing as Fredrik is calling it mono 2 and not mono 1.1 a la tundra stereo upgrades, the difference must be pretty staggering.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Looking forward to the modified Tundra Monos. I thought I was done with upgrades for a while - but it seems that Fredrik keeps on finding new products and raising the bar.

With regard to the heirarchy, I found the musical improvement , when upgrading amplification from Tundra stereo to Monos quite marked, even when using a humble AK1 ( with KDS/242).

I accept that at that stage the KK1 might have been the logical choice, but I was waiting for the Sagatuns.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Good chat with Fredrik yesterday and yes without spilling the beans very interesting design ideas :-)

His Twitter account is @flejonklou or will news appear on Instagram?
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

"Mono 2" certainly implies redesign rather than revision...
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Congratulations on your new audio components Lejonklou. Perhaps on my next trip to Overture Audio, I'll be able to listen to your new power amplifiers, as well as the mono preamplifier.
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you everyone, for your encouraging comments!

More information will be available soon. Quite a few tests still remain, though, before Tundra Mono 2 is ready for launch.

The prototypes will be demoed again - along with my other products - on Wednesday the 3rd of December at Ljudkompaniet in Uppsala, Sweden. Call them on 018-13 41 80 to reserve a seat. I think we'll start at 18:00.