Sagatun and Sagatun Mono

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks for the explanation Fredrik - good to know I am not imagining these things.

I found the sound from the digital volume on the KDS/1 far worse than the AK/1, which at the 'right volume' was very good indeed.

I thought the narow band of listenable volume ( for me it had to be within 1 dB on the AK/1) was part and parcel of a passive single wire set up. My tri-active LK140/Ninkas did not have this trait.

The Sagatuns have shown me that this is not the case, and the ability to continue to enjoy music at levels where one can hold a converstation is as important as the improvement in all the musical/ sound parameters.

With the AK/1 - I always had to set the optimal volume for each album - this is no longer necessary as all levels sound good.

I now choose the volume level I am in the mood for and this can be within a reasonable range, for low , medium or high levels.

Anwar
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I received a Sagatun yesterday together with an essential Adikt stylus to complete my new LP12-system (a year or so old Majik LP12 with Ekos and Lingo3 conected to: a brand new Slipsik, Sagatun (replacing a Kikkin), Tundra Mono's and Majik 109).

It's insanely good right now. You know that feeling when you couldn't care less about what loudspeakers and whatever you are listening to - you just want to put on the next record and never go to bed.

If I ever find the strength to disconnect the Sagatun and make a A/B comparison with the Kikkin I'll get back to you all :)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Azazello wrote:I received a Sagatun yesterday together with an essential Adikt stylus to complete my new LP12-system (a year or so old Majik LP12 with Ekos and Lingo3 conected to: a brand new Slipsik, Sagatun (replacing a Kikkin), Tundra Mono's and Majik 109).
It's insanely good right now. You know that feeling when you couldn't care less about what loudspeakers and whatever you are listening to - you just want to put on the next record and never go to bed.
If I ever find the strength to disconnect the Sagatun and make a A/B comparison with the Kikkin I'll get back to you all :)
Azazello,
have you contemplated to go for Sagatun Mono and Tundra Stereo?

Matt
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote:
Azazello wrote:I received a Sagatun yesterday together with an essential Adikt stylus to complete my new LP12-system (a year or so old Majik LP12 with Ekos and Lingo3 conected to: a brand new Slipsik, Sagatun (replacing a Kikkin), Tundra Mono's and Majik 109).
Azazello,

Matt
Good question! Interesting setup Azazello, I will be playing something similar for some demos as you will see below. I don't know if this should be a part of this thread (though it does involve Sagatuns) or a separate one but I wanted to let people know about an upcoming event in the US.

Nokture Audio will be representing Lejonklou HiFi and Harmoni racks in their own room at the upcoming Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF). RMAF is a yearly, consumer-oriented audio show held in Denver, Colorado. It is one of the older Hi-Fi shows for consumers and also the largest with over 200 exhibitors representing over 300 brands of equipment. This year it is being held on Friday October 10th through Sunday October 12th at the Denver Tech Center hotel. Those interested can check the web address for more details: https://www.audiofest.net/2014/

Nokturne Audio will be in room 9025 which is on a floor that should be well visited. The systems should really show off the quality of the Lejonklou equipment and Harmoni racks. There will be two systems on display as follows:

System 1)
Linn Sondek LP12 with Movingui plinth, RadikalD, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, Urika
2x Sagatun Monos
2x Tundra Monos
2x Dynaudio Focus 380 floorstanding speakers
2x Harmoni racks, one Sitka Spruce Tor with Reference K bottom, the other with latest version Mimer K top shelf, two Tor and Reference K bottom also in Sitka Spruce

Layout will be:
Radikal LP12SE/Kandid
Sagatun Mono Sagatun Mono
Tundra Stereo Tundra Stereo
Reference K bottoms on both
Dynaudio Focus 380 speakers

System 2)
Linn Sondek LP12 with refinished Linn Rosewood plinth, Lingo 2, Kore, Ekos 2, Adikt, Trampolin 2
Slipsik 5.1 or Gaio
Sagatun
Tundra
Dynaudio Excite X14 stand mount and stands
Harmoni rack with Mimer 3.1 top (Sitka Spruce), 3 Mimer 2 and Tor double bottom

Layout will be:
LP12/Adikt
Slipsik and Gaio
Sagatun
Tundra
Lingo (not quite hierarchically correct but displays Lejonklou better)
Dynaudio Excite X14 speakers and stands

Systems including Dynaudio speakers with optimum torques, etc. Linn Silver interconnects with original RCAs, 2.48m K200 cables with optimally soldered Knekt bananas.

The Dynaudio Focus 380s were the same model speakers we used in the store for the Lejonklou Sagatun US premier which Fredrik was favorably impressed with. The Excite X14s are a two way stand mount version in the series below Focus. These use less expensive driver, crossover and cabinet construction and are a bit smaller and similar price to M109s. I have been pleased with their musically quality connected to Lejonklou electronics as well.

At this point I am planning to use only LPs for sources and will be bringing a fair size and eclectic selection from my collection with a notable shortage of typical "audiophile" recordings. I may back down and bring the Akurate DS and LS-NAS with Yggdrasil for those wanting to hear a digital source but again I might not. The last Hi-Fi show I went to (CES 2013) had a couple of rooms using only LPs for sources, including Vandersteen which we sell, and they had some of the most musical sounds at the show not surprisingly.

The show is well attended and writers form pretty much all the US Hi-Fi magazines, both print and online, cover the show and tend to post their feelings of the various rooms online and in print. So I am hoping to get some positive exposure for these products from the show as well as hopefully getting some attention from dealers in attendance. Anybody who can get to Denver during the time of the show please drop by and enjoy some great tracks!
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2014-10-02 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

matthias wrote:
Azazello,

Matt
No, but I have contemplated Sagatun mono and Tundra mono, as well as Radikal, Keel and lots of other stuff in that way :)

Different coincidences and economy has led me to this point, but right now it sounds too damn good for me to care about that :D
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

That is what Sagatun seems to do.

I feel similarly with my system- sounds so good that I do not wish to change anything at the moment.

I have even forgotten about upgrading the Rega Planar 3 - too enjoyable at the moment.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Henrik,

Congratulations on your purchase!
Very curious about your comparision of Kikkin vs Sagatun stereo.
I have played with a Kikkin too before but now reverted to Exotik/d because of multiple sources.

Next step will be either Sagatun Stereo new, KK1 used or ADSM/AK1 as interim.

Cheers,

Marco
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Received Sagatun Monos #21 and #22 (and an ex-dem Tundra Stereo) yesterday and have finished hooking them up in my system this morning. VERY happy right now! :-)

I had a hard time working at home today, the music flowing from the living room kept demanding my attention. I filled the playlist with 900+ songs and am now in the burn in process, music playing constantly.

Thank you Fredrik for an awesome product! :-)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

DelNaja wrote:Received Sagatun Monos #21 and #22 (and an ex-dem Tundra Stereo) yesterday and have finished hooking them up in my system this morning. VERY happy right now! :-)

I had a hard time working at home today, the music flowing from the living room kept demanding my attention. I filled the playlist with 900+ songs and am now in the burn in process, music playing constantly.

Thank you Fredrik for an awesome product! :-)
They have a tendency to do that. Nice setup and good to hear you are enjoying it.
Frog

RMAF

Post by Frog »

Thomas,

Glad to here you will be at RMAF, I plan on attending and will look for your room. I have been trolling around this forum for years and have never heard a Lejonklou product in my life!

Am I just missing it or are there no prices listed for the Lejonklou components online? What is the US pricing for the two versions of the Sagutun preamp?

Regards,

Frog
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi Frog,
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to meeting you at RMAF.

The price for the Sagatun is $5450 and the Sagatun Monos are $5450 each. (Although there are a handful fewer parts like resistors, capacitors and transistors, etc. in the Monos there is the same parts cost for major parts like the casework, power supplies and circuit board and there is more labor in the fine tuning so manufacturing cost is the same.)

See you there!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A small update to the show equipment. Instead of the stand mount Dynaudio Focus 160 speakers on system 2 it will be Dynaudio Excite X14 speakers and stands. These are a step below the Focus series and are in the same price range as the M109s. I have used them with Lejonklou electronics and they are a musical choice for the money. I just spent some time finding the best position in our larger room and finding the optimal torques so I should make a quite good sound at the show with them. I have edited the above post to list the corrected equipment setups.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I have now now tried the single source with KDS, after one month on standard inputs.

It is better and the improvement is not small. However it is not the dramatic jump that AK/1 to Mono standard input was, and to be honest the standard inputs are now so,so good - that this was no surprise.

On 10 second A/B/A listening between standard and single source input it is hard to tell the difference; but on proper, uninterrupted listening of a few well known tracks, it is obvious that the single source input is quite a bit better.

I cant really describe it - but the music just seems even more 'right' and lifelike. Most noticeable on vocals, piano and bass.

I am using the KDS on single source input - switches up - most of the time ; but when I have the luxury of really being able to listen ( not that common) , I flick the switches down and move the enjoyment level to an even higher and focused level.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the Single Source input update, u252agz!

I heard today that Sagatun and Tundra are rocking at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver, Colorado. Thomas O'Keefe set up his two systems there yesterday.

For those who want their Sagatun Mono's in separate racks - and therefore need a longer optical cable for the Control Link - I think I have now found a 1 metre cable that works perfectly (supplied is a 0.5 m one). I just need to test it more thoroughly. This link is sensitive, as the light signal is intentionally weak, so not all Toslink cables work. And very much like in the rest of the HiFi cable business, the worst optical cables I have tried have been the most expensive and exclusive models, with gold plated ends (why?!), unpractically long and heavy die cast connector housings and labelled 'Medical Graded'.

What nonsense. The very best ones when it comes to low loss are plain and relatively inexpensive.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Hi Henrik,

Congratulations on your purchase!
Very curious about your comparision of Kikkin vs Sagatun stereo.
I have played with a Kikkin too before but now reverted to Exotik/d because of multiple sources.

Next step will be either Sagatun Stereo new, KK1 used or ADSM/AK1 as interim.

Cheers,

Marco
Hi Marco!

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner about this. I'm going to deliver the Kikkin to its new owner tomorrow so I felt obliged to finally make the comparison. Connected the Kikkin, let it play for an hour or so to warm up. Obviously it was cold from the start so I did not pay it any attention. Made the comparation by listening to a full song on my LP12. Loved it (early Willie Nelson version of "today I started loving you again", I would love it if my neighbour played it on his kitchen radio in the middle of the night).

Connected the Sagatun that had been turned of for an hour. Jaw dropped. Huge massive difference - like the first recording was made on a tape recorder and the second in a top notch studio or something. Dynamics, texture, natural voice. Weird really.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks Henrik for your reply!
Intrigueing comparision, would love to hear a Sagatun at one point.

Cheers,

Marco
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

mrco99 wrote:Thanks Henrik for your reply!
Intrigueing comparision, would love to hear a Sagatun at one point.

Cheers,

Marco
You really should!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Hi Thomas.
Have you tried the dynaudio excite x38 with the Lejonklou kit at all? I was interested in your thoughts if you have tried this.
Cheers, Ozzzy.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi Ozzy, I haven't tried this but have tried the X14 and they are driven quite well by the Lejonklou gear. I expect it would work well with the X38 and will have to try it when I get a chance (so many things to listen to, so little time).
MisterH

New Monos

Post by MisterH »

First off a big thank you to Chris, what a great guy, again I have taken another day out of his busy schedule.

His visit was for me to audition Sagatun Stereo and Monos, to replace Kikkin.

I'm too busy listening to music to write much more, just to say that Chris ended up leaving without the Monos 😀

Another great product from Frederick
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Monos

Post by lejonklou »

neilh wrote:I'm too busy listening to music to write much more, just to say that Chris ended up leaving without the Monos 😀

Thank you, neilh!

It's so nice to read your words on this late Friday evening.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Re: New Monos

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

neilh wrote:First off a big thank you to Chris, what a great guy, again I have taken another day out of his busy schedule.

His visit was for me to audition Sagatun Stereo and Monos, to replace Kikkin.

I'm too busy listening to music to write much more, just to say that Chris ended up leaving without the Monos 😀

It was great to see you too and glad you love them. Prefer the M40 back to London than your M42 that was locked. Kikkin to Monos is a great jump and the sound you have now is Wow and from an ADS/1. Your Akurate 212s are great - I look forward to hearing what Linn come up with with passive Akudorks 😀 this together with Tundra Mono/2, happy times.
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Nice one guys, glad you're happy Neil.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
MisterH

New Monos

Post by MisterH »

Well I've now had 2 days listening, everything is what I was hoping for having previously heard the Sagatuns at Ozzzy's

I find it very difficult describing "hifi" or listening to music, so I'm going to opt out of a "review"

However my neighbour who has been listening to all types of music for in excess of 60 years, and spent most of the last 50 years on a hifi journey came round this morning to listen to the new Sagatuns.

He has never really liked my Linn systems over the years but when the Tundra was added with the 212's he started to come round to liking it even though there was Linn in the system.

Anyway back to today after he listened with the Sagatuns his descriptions throughout the day have been

lovely, beautiful, brilliant, fantastic
Loved the sound. Really involving. Never heard 'involving' at Chez Neil. By far your best. Smoov and inviting. Smashing.

There is nothing more for me to add, he has said it all
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi,
it's almost two weeks now that I have a pair of Sagatun Monos in my demo system and I am really happy to add another testimony of their great performance.

Sagatuns sound very coherent, detailed and tuneful, with a strong ability to convey melodies and to communicate in an informative and meaningful way. Once warmed up and placed on a good support they provide a truly satisfying musical performance.

A wonderful job Fredrik!