Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Sagatun and Sagatun Mono

Post by V.A.MKD »

Hi Defender,

Absolutely right suggestion from Mr. Lejonklou, also when connecting speakers ... shut off power amp ...
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I guess I might play things super high! I do find sometimes a substantial pop when unplugging from the SINGularity or Entity, although not so much from the Sagatun, as they have quite a bit of gain and I play a bit loud at times. So I just mute and everything is fine. For the Sagatun itself probably not needed.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
mradem

Post by mradem »

My current system is a Linn ADSM/0, Tundra 2.5 with Harbeths shl5+. I am thinking about buying a Sagatun and perhaps later on switching my ADSM for a streamer only. On the other hand I could also get a katalyst upgrade for my ADSM and leave it like that.

Does anyone have experience with a same kind of situation?
snatex

Post by snatex »

mradem wrote: 2022-02-24 09:55 My current system is a Linn ADSM/0, Tundra 2.5 with Harbeths shl5+. I am thinking about buying a Sagatun and perhaps later on switching my ADSM for a streamer only. On the other hand I could also get a katalyst upgrade for my ADSM and leave it like that.

My situation is not exactly the same but close. I have a Majik DS, Tundra Mono, Harbeth 30.1 and replaced my Linn preamp (Kisto) with a Sagatun Mono. I am very happy with the Sagatun. It was a big upgrade just like the Tundra was over my Linn amp. The DS is my secondary source though. I only use it when necessary. I prefer my LP12. If I were you I would get the Sagatun and use your existing DS until you can get a Kalla or the next incarnation.
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

snatex wrote: 2022-03-01 16:15
mradem wrote: 2022-02-24 09:55 My current system is a Linn ADSM/0, Tundra 2.5 with Harbeths shl5+. I am thinking about buying a Sagatun and perhaps later on switching my ADSM for a streamer only. On the other hand I could also get a katalyst upgrade for my ADSM and leave it like that.

My situation is not exactly the same but close. I have a Majik DS, Tundra Mono, Harbeth 30.1 and replaced my Linn preamp (Kisto) with a Sagatun Mono. I am very happy with the Sagatun. It was a big upgrade just like the Tundra was over my Linn amp. The DS is my secondary source though. I only use it when necessary. I prefer my LP12. If I were you I would get the Sagatun and use your existing DS until you can get a Kalla or the next incarnation.

Buy Källa and never look back. 😎
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Two things about the Sagatun monos that I found out but couldn't read or couldn't find.

In the meantime I live very well with the mute setting, where previously a small criticism was made because of the flickering LED.

1. When Mute is on and the (-) button is pressed, the preamp will turn down the volume. I assume it is the default value when Sagatuns powered on. If the (+) button is pressed, it returns to the previously set volume.

2. I actually didn't know that the input (this is where the entity is connected) assigned to the rear switches is always active. The other inputs are disabled with the switch. I'm actually not sure if this isn't documented somewhere.
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

From the installation manual:
"The rear switch
The rear switch has two positions: In NORMAL OPERATION, the
four inputs IN1, IN2, IN3 and IN4 are selectable. In the SINGLE
SOURCE ONLY position, the four inputs are switched off and only
the Single Source input is active.
If you only have one source component, the optimal way to connect
it is to "yellow dot" with the switch in the down position.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Tendaberry
I had read that. My confusion was the single source input, which is always active regardless of the switch position. I only noticed this when the streamer was playing and cleaning the pickup's needle.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This is the muting description from the user manual:
"MUTE on your remote has dual functions:
• A quick press temporarily lowers the volume by 12 dB.
This state can be used if someone is trying to say
something or if there is a commercial break on the TV
(often mixed louder). To leave the -12 dB state, press
+VOL or MUTE. If you prefer to stay at the -12 dB
volume level, press –VOL. The volume then remains the
same, but the colour on the front indicator is lowered by
12 steps.
• Pressing and holding MUTE for half a second (until
the indicator fades) mutes the volume completely.
Volume is restored by pressing MUTE or a VOL button."

Fredrik created this way of working as you could sometimes be surprised when you unmuted and the volume jumped up 12dB. So if you hit Mute or Vol + it returns to where you were, if you hit Vol - it goes to the -12dB muted level and then you can go up and down from there. If I recall correctly it was Fredrik's daughter leaving it in mute and walking away and Fredrik being surprised at how loud it was when he unmuted it that gave the impetus to create this mode of operation. :-)

The installation manual has this explanation about the inputs on the page before the one Tendaberry mentioned:
"Sagatun Mono has the following 8 RCA connectors:
[Red dot] Currently not used (but might be in the future)
[Yellow dot] A Single Source input – any signal on this connector goes
directly to the volume control and then to the outputs. It can never
be switched off, only adjusted in volume.

IN1, IN2, IN3 and IN4 are four inputs, selectable by remote or
with the front buttons."
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for explaining, Thomas!

Indeed it was my daughter who sometimes played really loud when being by herself, and then when I got home she solved it by a quick press on MUTE. Volume would then be reduced by 12 dB and she would leave the music playing when she walked out.

Now I could either turn the music off or I could reach for the remote. But with the remote, the only way for the volume to move was UP by a sudden 12 dB. And it was already quite loud. So then I decided to add the function that by pressing -VOL, the volume would be unchanged and the colour of the blinking indicator on Sagatun reduced by 12 steps.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Many thanks for the help. I guess I didn't read the installation manual carefully enough and obviously didn't quite understand that important part of the user manual. Sorry.
Trust your ears
domesticaone

Post by domesticaone »

Hello
I see that there's been an upgrade of the Sagatun was launched late last year, but I haven't seen any comments on the forum. So has anyone done the upgrade and can comment? I'm particularly interested in the stereo version.
And what about the cost?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have now perfromed a fair number of the 1.7 upgrades to both Sagatun Mono and Sagatun stereo units. The improvement is significant and easily worthwhile. Currently I have four customers who I did Tundra Mono 3 upgrades for and I offered them Sagatun Mono 1.7 upgrades to make their systems as musical as they can be. They are all quite happy. In addition I have done a few Sagatun stereo upgrades. I did some listening myself in my main system with my Klimax LP12, Källa and Tundra Mono 3s. I had previously found, as did several of us, that the new Superkikkin is more musical than the Sagatun stereo 1.4. When I did my first upgrade to a Sagatun stereo 1.7 I found that it was now more musical than the Superkikkin. This was to the degree that I didn't want to go back to the Superkikkin, despite how good it is (and at it's price and size it is ridiculously good). As another example one of my dealers, who had the Superkikkin and Tundra Mono 3s, ordered up my last new Sagatun stereo upgraded to 1.7 mainly for the additional flexibility, though I told him it was also a bit more musical. Two days after he received it he called me and told me I had undersold it - that it was a lot better than the Superkikkin, even though it wasn't fully broken in yet. As a result of hearing that an another system with TM3s a reviewer who recently posted a rave review of the Boazu picked up a pair of TM3s and a used Sagatun stereo that I upgraded to 1.7. He told me it was musically a fair bit better than he had been expecting even out of the box. Since he was familiar with Sagatun Mono 1.4s and TM2.2s I think that also says something.

I don't know pricing elsewhere but in the US it is $400 parts and labor per unit. At that price I consider the performance increase a very good value.
The LP12 Whisperer
domesticaone

Post by domesticaone »

Many thanks Thomas
Seems like a no-brainer then.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

domesticaone wrote: 2024-03-08 11:17 Hello
I see that there's been an upgrade of the Sagatun was launched late last year, but I haven't seen any comments on the forum. So has anyone done the upgrade and can comment? I'm particularly interested in the stereo version. And what about the cost?
Good evening domesticaone,

I recently had my Sagatun Stereo preamp upgraded to the 1.7 version, and at the same time my Entity phono stage was upgraded to the 1.2 version as well. And as such, it's difficult for me to know exactly what each upgrade sounds like individually.

However, the combined upgrades have significantly improved the sound performance of my system from top to bottom. The signal coming from my turntable is much stronger now, and I'm hearing way more musical information as well. So the music flows from my turntable, through the power amplifier, and out of the speakers with noticeably less effort than it did before the upgrades.

It's almost like I got a new turntable power supply, a new tonearm, a new power amplifier...and a new set of speakers. These upgrades are allowing my system's components to perform much closer to their potential.

*Cost for the Entity upgrade was $190.00 plus $25.00 for shipping, the Sagatun Stereo upgrade was $400.00 including shipping (U.S. currency).

Cheers!
Tony Tune-age
domesticaone

Post by domesticaone »

Thanks a lot Tony
That sounds really interesting indeed. In a bit longer perspective, my next upgrade may very well be going MC, from Adikt/Slipsik 8 to Krystal/Entity for my Akurate-ish LP12. But that's quite costly, so doing the upgrade of the Sagatun in the meantime sounds logical. I like to do upgrades one at a time. Not just for budget reasons, but also to have more of those thrilling experiences of hearing the music a notch better than before.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

domesticaone wrote: 2024-03-10 23:24 Thanks a lot Tony
That sounds really interesting indeed. In a bit longer perspective, my next upgrade may very well be going MC, from Adikt/Slipsik 8 to Krystal/Entity for my Akurate-ish LP12. But that's quite costly, so doing the upgrade of the Sagatun in the meantime sounds logical. I like to do upgrades one at a time. Not just for budget reasons, but also to have more of those thrilling experiences of hearing the music a notch better than before.
That's the best $615.00 I have ever spent on audio...
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

domesticaone wrote: 2024-03-10 23:24 Thanks a lot Tony
Since you call it an Akurate-ish LP12 you may already have done some upgrades. But just in case I would highly recommend the Radikal 2 motor/power supply over the Lingo 4 that normally comes with an Akurate LP12. The Adikt/Slipsik with a Radikal 2 will easily musically outperform the Krystal/Entity and the cost should be in the same ballpark.
The LP12 Whisperer
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2024-03-11 00:12 That's the best $615.00 I have ever spent on audio...
That sounds promising :) We go from 1.4 to 1.7 so it looks like big upgrade. I was not aware of it. I also have an Entity 1.0 that needs an upgrade.
domesticaone

Post by domesticaone »

Since you call it an Akurate-ish LP12 you may already have done some upgrades. But just in case I would highly recommend the Radikal 2 motor/power supply over the Lingo 4 that normally comes with an Akurate LP12. The Adikt/Slipsik with a Radikal 2 will easily musically outperform the Krystal/Entity and the cost should be in the same ballpark.
Thank you Thomas. I did the Radikal 2 upgrade last year, and yes, it really took my old LP 12 to the next level. Except for the Kore to Keel upgrade (or is it the other way around?), what is still left to upgrade is the cartridge. I'm not really that increased cost of not just upgrading the cartridge, but commiting to do so every other year when it wears out. The almost doubling of the price of a replacement stylus for the Adikt is however making it more tempting to upgrade.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Freddy wrote: 2024-03-16 09:41
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2024-03-11 00:12 That's the best $615.00 I have ever spent on audio...
That sounds promising :) We go from 1.4 to 1.7 so it looks like big upgrade. I was not aware of it. I also have an Entity 1.0 that needs an upgrade.
All I can say is that the upgrades will blow your mind. To upgrade Sagatun 1.4 to 1.7 you will have to be patient with the break-in time. Entity 1.0 to 1.2 will be understandable quite quickly.
Trust your ears