Forum issues are discussed here

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum issues are discussed here

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for pointing this out, Hermann.

I think it should be solved now.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Lately we have been seeing some first posts from newly registered accounts that raise suspicions. It turns out that a recently registered account that demanded we welcome them to the form in their first post was a spammer and has been removed. Two other new accounts have necroposted (resurrecting old, dead threads) with nothing substantive to say. If it happened once, it's an isolated incident. But twice in a row, and both in a subform that is itself archival? Hmmmm....

Fredrik and I are speculating that we might be dealing with a new brand of A.I. driven spammer. As moderator this is presenting new challenges for keeping the forum spam free. To that end I would like to propose an addition to the Forum Rules prohibiting new members from necroposting, with violation resulting in immediate banning.

At this time I don't want to impose any further restrictions on necroposting as it is not uncommon for members here to further explore topics that haven't been discussed in a while. Let's be clear that that's okay and encouraged! It's the first post from a new member that contributes nothing of substance to a 3 year old thread that we want to prohibit.

I would like to know what you the members think of this proposal, and if you have any additional suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

On some forum’s, new members are only allowed to post reactions (and revive an old thread) after they have introduced themselves properly in a “introduce yourself” sub-forum.
That could prevent the issue you described?
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Having been a moderator of two forums myself, I appreciate your work and thank you.

Regarding new rules, I believe in common sense and therefore I think if changes can be nipped in the bud due to new possible threats, I would introduce them.
Trust your ears
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Tricky.

I suppose that a new visitor to the forum could well legitimately find the information on old threads very interesting and like to post a question as a result.

However, maybe in practice this is rare.

On balance, if it keeps the bots at bay, seems a reasonably initial restriction.

The spammers do seem to post on old threads, so it's a rule likely to catch them
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I had wondered about that new posting. It is rare to see someone come on, say they are new and demand people welcome them with no additional information. The fact they never responded to a question as to what brought them here certainly indicated something was fishy.

I think the suggested solution to reduce spamming seems reasonable and should have minimal impact on real forum members so I'm fine with it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Thanks everybody for your feedback and suggestions. I think I'm going to start with just prohibiting necroposting by new accounts and see how that goes.

This new rule won't affect existing forum members, except that if you see an old thread being resurrected by a new account, feel free to report it.

pdcman

Post by pdcman »

Seems a reasonable response.

I can't seem to understand the point of spammers. What do they hope to achieve?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Not an "issue", more a feature request: would it be possible to add a dark mode/theme as an option to be able to choose between the fresh white, or a less visually bright presentation? If it's there already I couldn't find it...
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-05-02 14:31 Not an "issue", more a feature request: would it be possible to add a dark mode/theme as an option to be able to choose between the fresh white, or a less visually bright presentation? If it's there already I couldn't find it...
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the suggestion!

I currently don't know whether this is possible without making a whole new theme with inverted colours. But I will have a look around and see if anyone else has dived into this.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-05-04 00:08 Thank you for the suggestion!

I currently don't know whether this is possible without making a whole new theme with inverted colours. But I will have a look around and see if anyone else has dived into this.
Only if it's simple - I don't want to incur the wrath of anyone on the waiting list by delaying TM3s, etc... : o

A dark theme would be a nice to have, not a priority request in any way. I thought/hoped it might be as easy as a switch or setting - if it's complicated or an effort that takes away from development & production, then please don't hesitate to defer the request.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-05-04 13:54 Only if it's simple - I don't want to incur the wrath of anyone on the waiting list by delaying TM3s, etc... : o
A dark theme would be a nice to have, not a priority request in any way. I thought/hoped it might be as easy as a switch or setting - if it's complicated or an effort that takes away from development & production, then please don't hesitate to defer the request.
Agree completely :)
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
quinn_t

Post by quinn_t »

Should we have 'like' or 'unlike' buttons?
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

quinn_t wrote: 2023-07-02 19:15 Should we have 'like' or 'unlike' buttons?
Maybe, but it could result in people fishing for ‘likes’ instead of telling their honest opinions. And will we continue posting constructive criticism if there's a risk of getting an ‘unlike’?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I prefer it as things are. Keeps it simple and straight forward. Sometimes members copy a section of text and agree with it or respond with "+1" so there are still ways of doing something similar to a 'like'.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-07-03 08:51 I prefer it as things are. Keeps it simple and straight forward. Sometimes members copy a section of text and agree with it or respond with "+1" so there are still ways of doing something similar to a 'like'.
+1
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
quinn_t

Post by quinn_t »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-07-03 08:51 I prefer it as things are. Keeps it simple and straight forward. Sometimes members copy a section of text and agree with it or respond with "+1" so there are still ways of doing something similar to a 'like'.
+1
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

quinn_t wrote: 2023-07-03 20:37
+1
I agree.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I agree with ThomasOK and Charlie1 and quinn_t. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

On another thread Matthias suggested locking posts after a certain period of inactivity and only allowing existing users the ability to unlock and post/edit. It turns out that may actually be possible. If it is, I have a few questions for the members:

1) What do you think would be an appropriate period of inactivity before a post is locked?
2) At what point (age of account, post count) should a user be allowed to access locked posts?
3) Do you think this is a good idea? If not, do you have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and helping to maintain the quality of this forum!

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Why not keep it simple and only allow moderators to unlock a locked thread?

Any choice for a period of inactivity is a bit arbitrary, but about 3 months, with the exception of long running threads like the playground.

Anyone should be able to read locked threads, so no need for separate rules for recent members.
Pete

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

If someone wants to revive a locked thread, they can do so by creating a new thread and linking to the original.
Pete

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Threads old and new are a very valuable resource for new or prospective members, and it would be a great shame to prevent anyone from reading them.
Pete

markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Thanks, Pete! To clarify, I'm not talking about blocking users' ability to view a topic, just limiting the ability to post/edit a topic for the specific goal of preventing necroposting by new users.

I like your suggestion of keeping things simple! My concern is that redundant threads could clutter and confuse things, but the post volume on this forum is low enough that may not be an issue.