Forum issues are discussed here

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

Interesting.

I am not sure if it is accurate to say that the members of this forum believe in Tune Dem. I would have thought that the majority simple use the forum as both an open discussion of Linn products (and yours, of course) and as an unofficial Linn classified ads section that is likely to be pretty much free of scammers.

I am further doubtful how universal the Tune Dem method is across different people's ears. If this were the case then everyone on this forum that owns a Klimax Twin would sell it for one of your Tundras wouldn't they? This is no comment on the quality of the Tundra which by all accounts is superb but simply an example of differing views as to what is best. I make the assumption that you think the Tundra is best and there are certainly others on this forum that agree. However, there are others that don't (and believe in Tune Dem) and I think that the cost of a swap is unlikely to be a factor as I think a second hand Twin is of similar value (might be wrong there so apologies if I am).

CJ
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I find it best not to comment on how my products compare to those of other manufacturers.

Klimax Twin is a great amp which also impresses with its heavy, high finish case. Some people value this a lot, others not so much. Some just hide all units away in a cupboard. So there is always more than just performance that affects our choice of equipment.
CJ1045

Post by CJ1045 »

Fair enough - indeed my example was a bit simplistic.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Hi!

I do agree with you CJ that it was a bit harsh to remove all the posts, but I could see where the discussion was heading and arguments about the general validity of "tune-dem" (we should really coin a new phrase for that...) is exactly what we don't want here. You see - if we would allow it we would have it in every thread and all the time.

As Fredrik already said; there are plenty of forums that allow it to continue forever, and I think we all are familiar with the result. We try to be different, hopefully you can live with that :)
vicdiaz

www.lejonklou.com forum initial page load times

Post by vicdiaz »

Hi Fred,

For the last 3-4 weeks I've noticed an excessive page load times (7-10 seconds) for the forum's initial page. Have you switched servers? Once in response times are OK.

No other web site I visit is showing this behavior.

Regards,
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: www.lejonklou.com forum initial page load times

Post by lejonklou »

vicdiaz wrote:For the last 3-4 weeks I've noticed an excessive page load times (7-10 seconds) for the forum's initial page. Have you switched servers? Once in response times are OK.

No other web site I visit is showing this behavior.
Thank you Vic, for confirming my impression!

I have spoken to the guys managing the servers and they tested the website and found it to respond very quickly. I insisted that it's very quick once you get in, but on the first attempt it often takes 10 seconds. They found no such phenomenon.

I'll talk to them again!
vicdiaz

Re: www.lejonklou.com forum initial page load times

Post by vicdiaz »

lejonklou wrote: Thank you Vic, for confirming my impression!

I have spoken to the guys managing the servers and they tested the website and found it to respond very quickly. I insisted that it's very quick once you get in, but on the first attempt it often takes 10 seconds. They found no such phenomenon.

I'll talk to them again!
Hi Fred,

Still displaying this behavior. Today it took almost 20 seconds to load the forum's first page.
Vic
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

No delay here. Maybe my ISP knows to have this site preloaded for me ;)

Joking aside, maybe I have quicker DNS?!? If it's first load only it could be cache or DNS rather than the website. Do you clear your cache? If you're using your ISP's DNS, have you tried using Google's DNS or OpenDNS instead?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for your suggestions, tokenbrit!

Vic: I was just going to write 'Now it's fast, isn't it?'. Because at my end, the problem appears to be solved.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

tokenbrit wrote:No delay here. Maybe my ISP knows to have this site preloaded for me ;)

Joking aside, maybe I have quicker DNS?!? If it's first load only it could be cache or DNS rather than the website. Do you clear your cache? If you're using your ISP's DNS, have you tried using Google's DNS or OpenDNS instead?
Hi

Im using Google's DNS servers. Cache cleared.
Vic
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote: For your eyes: A new website with stunning looks, made by Spire AB in
Hi Fredrik - looking forward to the new website.

Will you also update the forum? I'm wondering if you're thinking of ditching the 'for sale' section following the push to Audiowoof. It must bring in a lot of forum visitors, but no idea how much of that traffic translates into sales. The vast majority don't contribute to the forum either.

Also, what are your feelings on discussions reference Linn? I am becoming increasing conscious of referencing Linn products a lot. I wouldn't have given it a thought a few years ago, but I think it's fair to say Lejonklou products have moved from the budget end (~£500), where they utilised gaps in the Linn range, to new products that cost significantly more and compete directly with Linn.

Sometimes, it's not possible to reference Lejonklou (Exakt) and other times it simplifies a discussion scenario to keep it single-vendor (aktiv vs passive amps), but what's your view?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Hi Fredrik - looking forward to the new website.

Will you also update the forum?
Hi Charlie!

Yes, the plan is to move the entire forum into a new shell, using the latest phpBB version.

No plans to ditch the For Sale section. It doesn't do any harm and you will sometimes know the person who's selling, which can increase trust. In addition, audiowoof doesn't have a Wanted section.

I don't understand the problem with discussing Linn or any other brand in here. Where would you otherwise get accurate and reliable replies? In my view the main strength of this forum is that the majority of those who hang out here know their stuff, love music and are committed to quality. I haven't found that anywhere else.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:I don't understand the problem with discussing Linn or any other brand in here. Where would you otherwise get accurate and reliable replies? In my view the main strength of this forum is that the majority of those who hang out here know their stuff, love music and are committed to quality. I haven't found that anywhere else.
Cool. I feel reassured.

Perhaps some of my concern stems from the fact some Linn forum members object when discussions are heavily focused on non-Linn products.
MisterH

Post by MisterH »

Charlie1 wrote:
lejonklou wrote:I don't understand the problem with discussing Linn or any other brand in here. Where would you otherwise get accurate and reliable replies? In my view the main strength of this forum is that the majority of those who hang out here know their stuff, love music and are committed to quality. I haven't found that anywhere else.
Cool. I feel reassured.

Perhaps some of my concern stems from the fact some Linn forum members object when discussions are heavily focused on non-Linn products.
Some Linn forum members are not very open minded as far as other products are concerned, may we say a little blinkered.

I was a strong Linn supporter and owner for 20+ years until I thought about upgrading a couple of years ago, then I opened my eyes and ears !
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

"Some Linn forum members..."
I suggest focusing on your own views instead of other peoples oppinions.
It's all about musical understanding!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Charlie1 wrote:
Cool. I feel reassured.

I've also found this to be a bit of an issue tbh. And yes, blinkered could certainly be an accurate or should that be akurate, description of some. Some, but not all.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
jlwdm

Post by jlwdm »

Music Lover wrote:"Some Linn forum members..."
???? I think his statement makes sense. You seem overly sensitive.

He seems to be saying on the Linn Forum some forum members object to discussions heavily focused on other brands. So his point is does this forum have a problem with discussions about other brands. Fredrick says this is not a problem and I agree.

Linn is an established brand building complete systems, and many Linn followers would never use a non-Linn component. It makes sense to me that many Linn forum members would want to keep the discussions Linn related. I can especially see an issue with Lejonklou discussions as Lejonklou components are primarily being used to replace Linn components in Linn systems.

Lejonklou, on the other hand, has a limited number of components and does not make complete systems. These components need discussions regarding other brands, especially Linn.

Jeff
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I fear that will have to wait for another lifetime ML. Worrying what other people think is in my DNA. My wife bears the brunt of it very well. I sometimes make allowances and presume my fears are unfounded, but usually end up checking to be sure.

I can now happily post about any product without a twinge of guilt and fear of offending Fredrik.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

jlwdm wrote:

He seems to be saying on the Linn Forum some forum members object to discussions heavily focused on other brands. So his point is does this forum have a problem with discussions about other brands. Fredrick says this is not a problem and I agree.

Linn is an established brand building complete systems, and many Linn followers would never use a non-Linn component. It makes sense to me that many Linn forum members would want to keep the discussions Linn related. I can especially see an issue with Lejonklou discussions as Lejonklou components are primarily being used to replace Linn components in Linn systems.

Lejonklou, on the other hand, has a limited number of components and does not make complete systems. These components need discussions regarding other brands, especially Linn.

Jeff
Cheers Jeff, I started an email to Fredrik then thought it was a topic that might interest other members and posted here instead.

Good point about Linn having end to end systems. And of course Linn input is very light on non technical matters and they are not promoting open discussions across vendor. I think it just 'feels' more open minded here so long as tune dem is at the forefront.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

jlwdm wrote:

Jeff
How does one not compare Tune Dem development without both companies being part of the discussion.

Not to be leaving anyone out, I want to say how much I appreciate Charlie1 and Frederick being themselves - whole, complete and awesome people.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

SaltyDog wrote:I want to say how much I appreciate Charlie1 and Frederick being themselves - whole, complete and awesome people.

Second that.

Having migrated from the Linn forum, the first thing I noticed here was the refreshing sense of willing to discuss the quality of music reproduction, irrespective of brand.
Now, over in Linn-land, it is to be expected perhaps that, once you've committed serious $$$ to a Klimax-level system, you're going to want to protect that investment. Maybe more so once a new company enters the playing field and provides significant competition. Or, a serious alternative that is worth considering.
Most Linnies on either forum can't have failed to notice the increase in component signatures that highlight the increase of Lejonklou units. And that will have given rise to curiosity amongst others. Myself included.

The other aspect of this particular forum that I appreciate are the insights to a burgeoning company (Lejonklou) and its running narrative of bringing new products to market. Fredrik tries to keep things below radar, but for the occasional discreet reveal. And then we all plague him demanding more information, ha hah.
But seriously... a company that involves its forum members in the product development stage is certainly impressive. We get to feel so much more than simply the 'end-user' here.

(HNY to you all, btw)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Very kind - Thanks Salty/Moog_man and to everyone that's posted on this topic.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, thank you!

Very kind indeed.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Great post moog man.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

jlwdm wrote:
To me, it seems "Some Linn forum members..." are overly sensitive ;)
jlwdm wrote: He seems to be saying on the Linn Forum some forum members object to discussions heavily focused on other brands.
jlwdm wrote: It makes sense to me that many Linn forum members would want to keep the discussions Linn related.
I understand your reasoning but "Some Linn forum members..." would be better off focusing on musical performance, not brand name.

Sadly, it's a lot less talk about "just listen" and "musical performance" evaluated with Tune Dem nowadays on the Linn forum - something that I'm happy to find here.
Thanks Fredrik and the moderators !!

Knowing Fredrik, he is interested in musical performance only, and we respect him highly for his endless tweaking that result in marvelous products.

So...if anyone find competing products with better performance, I'm totally sure Fredrik going to promote discussions regarding these on his forum without ANY concerns.
And these products going to even further strengthen his focus on Lejonklou product development.
Competition is GOOD for all!
Fredrik understand that but "Some Linn forum members..." seems not to.
It's all about musical understanding!