Preamp to match Tundra

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Erik

Post by Erik »

I can't understand the interest about the naming of a black box, I'm more curious about the performance.
I have had the pleasure to listen to the new pre for a couple of days now. It replaced my latest spec Klimax Kontrol.

This is a spectacular preamp. The difference is not subtle and I struggle to find the right words without raving and not being serious.

The music becomes much better and more involving. A fantastic flow and rhythm. I find myself listening to music I have found boring, but now feels like new. It has pace, rhythm and timing paired with a musicality I have never ever heard before.

Swapping back to the KK is interesting. For the first time I find it a bit coloured, or at least too soft and sweet. This is soundwise and not about the musicality but still a bit annoying. First I though the KK was more ”sophisticated” but the more I listen the more I get convinced this softness is a coloration.
More interesting is how boring it becomes when the Kontrol returns. I have been happy about my system and I think the KK is a fantastic pre, but Saga is so much better in every way.

A reality check was needed! I took Saga to a friend with Linn amp and speaker, I use Tundra and T1 myself. My Kontrol wasn’t faulty. It was the same outcome here but I leave it to him to explain.

Congratulations Fredrik. Once again the hierarchy is obvious. This is a big leap in performance and feels like a source upgrade. A major one. I had expected much but this was more than I thought was possible.

/Erik
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

As i said the naming is a bit of fun. Of course we're interested in how it sounds. :/
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Great words Erik. I understand that lack of coloration element and really look forward to hearing and promoting in the UK. Chris Fuller
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I had the opportunity to listen to Sagatun (?) for 1,5 hour on thursday. It was at my place and at Eriks. Front was Lp12SE with Akivas.
We listened to various music starting with Neil Young - Zuma. Even though the Sagatun was cold from the trip to my place it was obviuos that Fredrik has come up with something special.
Starting with the difference in sound between the two, Erik describes it as colorisation. When listening to Crazy horse, with their distinct sound, my preamp smoothed things out. Not by much but obvious.

Moving on to what is important. What impressed me was the ability to present every part and musician of what was played, not talking about detail but that important feel and meaning of whats being played. The music was more gripping. Overall it was better.

I had to swap back and forth to confirm what I was hearing. With my pre the music was less fun and engaging.
I was expecting good but not this good. And I have a KK/1D.

Congrats Fredrik!
/Daniel

LP12SE
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Wow. Sounds like he's done it again going by early reports. Thanks for sharing your opinions fellas.
Congratulations fredrik.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Daniel wrote:I had the opportunity to listen to Sagatun (?) for 1,5 hour on thursday. It was at my place and at Eriks. Front was Lp12SE with Akivas.
We listened to various music starting with Neil Young - Zuma. Even though the Sagatun was cold from the trip to my place it was obviuos that Fredrik has come up with something special.

[...]

I had to swap back and forth to confirm what I was hearing. With my pre the music was less fun and engaging.

Congrats Fredrik!
Great report! And finally comparations against the only competitor that matters! It would be interesting to hear what equipment the Sagatun was playing with, apart from the LP12 :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sounds like all Fredrik's hard work has paid off. I hope it is a great success.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Daniel wrote:
Congrats Fredrik!
Yes, congratulations Fredrik,

and thanks to Erik and Daniel for their nice reviews.
Now I am looking forward to read about Thomas` impressions with his active ATC SCM100s...........

KR
Matt
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the preliminary reviews!

The final prototype that visited Erik and Daniel will now make one more journey to an enthusiast I think you all know about. Shipping tomorrow, maybe we'll get to read his opinions later this week?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

I've been told by an unreliable source that the pictures previously posted by Lejonklou are fakes.

Her is a picture of the Sagatun that went in production.

:-)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Linntek wrote:I've been told by an unreliable source that the pictures previously posted by Lejonklou are fakes.

Her is a picture of the Sagatun that went in production.

Dual mono??
Nature

Post by Nature »

tokenbrit wrote:
Linntek wrote:Image
Dual mono??
Dual many!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

While some are celebrating Valborg (Uppsala is invaded by tens of thousands of students today for the celebration of Walpurgis Night), I am unpacking and inspecting Sagatun number 001.

Who's having the most fun? I am!

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Fredrik,

Congratulations, I like the minimalistic design!
A ´children´ lock system for volume and a single source button - short press for selecting the various inputs and long press for muting volume?

Only sacrifice is that due to the dual buttons it is now a ´one-blue-eyed´ device.

The little round hole in the middle above the logo is the volume indicator, a colour changing led to tell its volume level, like in the Kikkin?

I guess a picture of the back might give away your secret, so that´s too much to ask right now?

Well done and will follow this with great interest!

;-)
Erik

Post by Erik »

I think it will be no light at all for best sound.

/Erik
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

mrco99 wrote:Congratulations, I like the minimalistic design!
Thank you!
mrco99 wrote:A ´children´ lock system for volume and a single source button - short press for selecting the various inputs and long press for muting volume?
Correct!
mrco99 wrote:Only sacrifice is that due to the dual buttons it is now a ´one-blue-eyed´ device.
No, as Erik wrote, Sagatun is completely dark except when executing a command.
The hole on the left resembles the design of Tundra, but it's an IR receiver that is always dark.
mrco99 wrote:The little round hole in the middle above the logo is the volume indicator, a colour changing led to tell its volume level, like in the Kikkin?
It's similar to Kikkin. But the colour feedback system is smoother and smarter, thanks to programmer Linntek on this forum!
fieldmice

Post by fieldmice »

Hello, it's look very much with Tundra design.
And I just wondering how I know which input device is being connected? (such as CD, DS or turntable)

Thank you
lejonklou wrote:While some are celebrating Valborg (Uppsala is invaded by tens of thousands of students today for the celebration of Walpurgis Night), I am unpacking and inspecting Sagatun number 001.

Who's having the most fun? I am!

Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote:Thank you for the preliminary reviews!

The final prototype that visited Erik and Daniel will now make one more journey to an enthusiast I think you all know about. Shipping tomorrow, maybe we'll get to read his opinions later this week?
Hi all!
2nd day after receiving the Sagatun and it's great!
Later during the weekend when I have time to compare more seriously with my KK (latest spec) I'll post a long review but based on first impression I can definitely state this is Fredrik's best product ever. Well done!!
It's all about musical understanding!
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

Looking forward to your more extensive report ML!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ok, here it goes...
Disclaimer, I used exact same power cord as currently connected to my KK - Lejonklou Power One (short model)
Sadly I didn't had the power cord Fredrik used tuning the Sagetun.

Nevertheless, I connected it and when it finally was connected in the correct way (long story...and entirely my fault as i misunderstood the pre-production text on the back) it was definitely a good bit better than my fully upgraded KK. Also better sounding, presented more details&dynamics.. Nice!
This despite it was standing on top of my KK with a non optimal power cord. Impressive. (On a Mimer K shelf)

Reconnected the KK, it sounded rather tired and dull... ;)
So I decided to check all screws in the KK with my Sturtevant Richmont Cal 36/4 Torque tool.
I also disconnected and reinserted (a few times) all sockets to the circuit board and Dynamik PSU and waited for Linnofil to arrive.

We agreed to run a blind test - he was outside the room when I changed pre's.
Strangely the KK was a bit better now. We went back and forth a few times. tried different volumes, same result.

Likely the Sagatun was handicapped by the power cord and placement so when I get my hands on a production unit I'll retest.
But no doubt - Sagatun is a breakthrough!
To be even close to the KK performance is amazing and with the correct power cord and optimal placement, I think it will teach the KK how to play tunes :)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Can't wait to hear it at hidden systems. Thanks for sharing, and feel free to keep us updated.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Music Lover wrote:.. the KK was a bit better now. We went back and forth a few times. tried different volumes, same result.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the method and the result. Can you describe in what way the KK was "a bit better..."?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:This despite it was standing on top of my KK with a non optimal power cord. Impressive. (On a Mimer K shelf)

Strangely the KK was a bit better now. We went back and forth a few times. tried different volumes, same result.
ML,
thanks,
but why did you place it on top of your KK and do you think a blind test is appropriate?

KR
Matt
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

tokenbrit wrote:
Music Lover wrote:.. the KK was a bit better now. We went back and forth a few times. tried different volumes, same result.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the method and the result. Can you describe in what way the KK was "a bit better..."?
More musical and better sounding. Rather surprisingly given the initial test.

Just agreed with Fredrik that I can keep it a few days longer, possible over next weekend - to be able to track down a good power cord and with more time on hands, place it on a dedicated Mimer shelf.
Not giving up that easy...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

matthias wrote:
Music Lover wrote:This despite it was standing on top of my KK with a non optimal power cord. Impressive. (On a Mimer K shelf)

ML,
thanks,
but why did you place it on top of your KK and do you think a blind test is appropriate?

KR
Matt
It was due to lack of time during the test, together with the fact that Sagatun placed same way previously was a lot better.
To be continued...