Tundra mono

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you macrotech2! Your feedback made my day twice as nice!

The multi input preamp is now in its second (or third, depending on how you count) incarnation. The fundamentals began early last year and consisted of a long list of things to investigate. During the last weeks I went through a series of tests (on that board with lots of switches pictured on instagram) and the day before yesterday I made a real break through! I've been working on an unconventional but very accurate regulator for a long time and finally all the ideas and theory proved to be working in real life. It just sounded so good that when I played John Holm- Sordin, I cried. Many more tests to follow. Rest assured this will be some product once it's released!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote:Thank you macrotech2! Your feedback made my day twice as nice!

The multi input preamp is now in its second (or third, depending on how you count) incarnation. The fundamentals began early last year and consisted of a long list of things to investigate. During the last weeks I went through a series of tests (on that board with lots of switches pictured on instagram) and the day before yesterday I made a real break through! I've been working on an unconventional but very accurate regulator for a long time and finally all the ideas and theory proved to be working in real life. It just sounded so good that when I played John Holm- Sordin, I cried. Many more tests to follow. Rest assured this will be some product once it's released!
That sounds very promising Fredrik! I suppose it's too early to ask on number of inputs, availability and price etc.

Best wishes

Kevin
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

macrotech2 wrote:That sounds very promising Fredrik! I suppose it's too early to ask on number of inputs, availability and price etc.
The picture shows 3 blocks of 4 phono sockets. This could probably be either 1 output, 5 inputs, or 2 outputs (1 fixed, 1 variable) and 4 inputs.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote:I made a real break through! I've been working on an unconventional but very accurate regulator for a long time and finally all the ideas and theory proved to be working in real life.
Do you think it can outperform the current KK, or too soon to say?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Do you think it can outperform the current KK, or too soon to say?
The only option for this product is to be the best.

As usual, I leave it up to others to judge whether I have succeeded.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Great news, Fredrik. Glad to hear you had a breakthrough and that real progress is happening as I know how hard you have been working on this.

Just from looking at the board my guess would be a dual mono design with four inputs, left channel on one side and right channel on the other side. Two outputs in the middle with one fixed and one variable. I know I and others requested a fixed output for headphone amps and recording devices and at least four inputs. The lack of a fixed output on the KK is a definite limitation for some customers.
lunch

Post by lunch »

anthony wrote:
Daniel wrote:
lejonklou wrote: Yes, me too!
Me too! Chris or Anthony perhaps?
I am due to get some passive akubariks soon, and will probably visit Chris before that. Will report back.
Had a Rococo music evening Friday, found the aktiv akubariks very involving. Once you catch on to the array and upper bass integration, it's a bit addictive.
Has anyone heard Akubariks and Monos yet? Would it be possible to get a little report..?
LP12 - Karousel - ARadikal - Keel - Ekos SE - Kandid - Entity
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
lunch

Post by lunch »

No one? It seems i killed off this thread entirely with my question ;)
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

lunch wrote:Has anyone heard Akubariks and Monos yet?
I haven't heard this combination yet and have not spoken to anyone who has. The retailers that I have visited who have had Mono's have had aktiv Akubariks in the store. Not the passive version.

Frankly I haven't heard much about passive Akubariks and how much better they are than 242's.

Last time I visited Tonläget i Göteborg, Linnofil said he'd compared aktiv Akubariks with Mono and Klångedang T1. I was delighted to hear him talk about his impressions.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Oh and by the way: If you have access to passive Akubariks and don't have any Lejonklou retailer within reach, just tell me where to ship a pair of Mono's to try out!
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

lejonklou wrote:
lunch wrote:Has anyone heard Akubariks and Monos yet?
I haven't heard this combination yet and have not spoken to anyone who has. The retailers that I have visited who have had Mono's have had aktiv Akubariks in the store. Not the passive version.

Frankly I haven't heard much about passive Akubariks and how much better they are than 242's.

Last time I visited Tonläget i Göteborg, Linnofil said he'd compared aktiv Akubariks with Mono and Klångedang T1. I was delighted to hear him talk about his impressions.
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=50

I have been busy with exakt, and have come to the conclusion, that despite marking where a speaker was positioned, it takes a day to settle back. Not sure if this is exasperated by an uneven wooden floor resulting in unequal loading on each foot.
Consequently the akubariks have not been out much, but I can say I prefer passive with klimax solos, I still enjoy the aktivs very much, but in my situation feel the aktivs limit the flexibility of demonstrations.
At some point, I will reintroduce the akubarik and try the Tundras.

I always foundthe 242 the most critical and revealing Linn speaker, given Klimax level equipment, it could sound quite stunning. Driven with inferior front end could sound disappointing.
I found with the akubarik P the gap between good and bad sound is lessened. An a4200 works reasonably well, as does tundra stereo and twin. I find the midrange is their strong point, but think, not yet confirmed, the bass needs to be aktiv.
lunch

Post by lunch »

lejonklou wrote:Oh and by the way: If you have access to passive Akubariks and don't have any Lejonklou retailer within reach, just tell me where to ship a pair of Mono's to try out!
Sounds like a pretty accurate description of me, actually. :D
KDSM
SuperKikkin
Solos
Akubariks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

lunch wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Oh and by the way: If you have access to passive Akubariks and don't have any Lejonklou retailer within reach, just tell me where to ship a pair of Mono's to try out!
Sounds like a pretty accurate description of me, actually. :D
I see. Then we should definitely try arranging a demo.

Please email me at info@lejonklou.com to discuss how.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Topic split - posts about Akubariks moved to "Partially Active Akubariks" in "HiFi"

/Az
clasch66

Post by clasch66 »

How is Lejonklous warranty policy for the Tundra Amps?

When I've understood correctly a 5 year warranty is granted to Lejonklou products?!

Is the warranty transferred if bought 2nd hand?

Cheers Claus
Mostly Scotland and some Sweden
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

clasch66 wrote:How is Lejonklous warranty policy for the Tundra Amps?
Hi Claus!

Warranty is 5 years from purchase date on all products sold from June 2013. The warranty follows the product, not the owner.
It's a good idea to keep a copy of the original invoice/receipt.
clasch66

Post by clasch66 »

lejonklou wrote:
clasch66 wrote:How is Lejonklous warranty policy for the Tundra Amps?
Hi Claus!

Warranty is 5 years from purchase date on all products sold from June 2013. The warranty follows the product, not the owner.
It's a good idea to keep a copy of the original invoice/receipt.
Thanks I've expected this, but good to know now :-)
Mostly Scotland and some Sweden
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, I've just found an amp to beat the Tundra Monos. Here it is: a Chord SPM 5000 MkII

Yes, as you can see, when it comes to aluminum appendages, number and variety of LEDs, size, amount of handles and fancy casework the Chord beats the Monos hands down. (Also in dollars spent as it likely sells for somewhere in the $25,000 to $30,000 price range in the US.)

On the other hand, musically the Tundra Monos gave it a definite thrashing. I won't say the Chord sounded bad - it had an even balance and was reasonably musical but the Monos just let you hear more of what was going on. I only had time for a brief comparison as a customer brought it in for audition. But in listening to some Pink Floyd the ability to hear the textures of the notes, the dynamics, the flow and togetherness of the music were all better on the Monos. Interestingly, even though the Chord is rated at 620 watts per channel and the comparison was made in a quite large room driving Majik Isobariks, the Monos definitely seemed to power the sound in the bass more forcefully.

Since I hadn't really heard a big Chord under controlled circumstances before it was interesting to have this opportunity. No question the Monos were more fun and involving. But if you like sculptural excess you just might have found your amp.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Thomas,
thanks for sharing your impressions, very interesting.
Another nice comparison would be the Monos with ATC100s passive vs. active ATC100s, both with Sagatun.

KR
Matt
valentine

Tundra vs Exakt

Post by valentine »

I am planning to move to Exakt, upgrading my ADSM early next year and get an Akurate Exaktbox.
I recently switched the Mono's into the A4200 to drive the 242's. After a week I started to miss the Mono's. It is clear the Mono's are better than the Akurate amp, although I am absolutely not disapointed by the Akurate amps. They are powerfull and performing well.

The move to Exakt force me to amplify 10 channels. The idea is to sell the Mono's and get an additional S/H 4200 and 2 x 2200 amps.
This setup enable me to drive the 3K arrays with 2 x 4200's and the bass driver with 2 x 2200 amps. Two amps per speaker.
Big improvement. Case closed. Everyone happy.

I must admit that I do not like to sell the Mono's. The option to keep the Mono's driving the M109 would be ideal, but is budget wise not realistic for the short term.

Adding 4 Tundra stereo's is also not an option.

If I understand correctly, with Exakt you can change the gain settings per channel. If that works you could theoretically match the Linn amp and Lejonklou amps in the same setup.

If I could get another 2 (s/h) tundra stereo's, it should be possible the drive the bass drivers with the 4200, the mid with the Mono's and the both tweeters with the tundra stereo. or would this be a bit too much :)
In the future I could replace the 4200 for another 2 tundra stereo's.

This would make it possible to change amps in an aktiv setup in different phases.
Would it work (and perform well), or should I forget the option?
any suggestions?
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra vs Exakt

Post by anthony »

valentine wrote:I am planning to move to Exakt, upgrading my ADSM early next year and get an Akurate Exaktbox.
I recently switched the Mono's into the A4200 to drive the 242's. After a week I started to miss the Mono's. It is clear the Mono's are better than the Akurate amp, although I am absolutely not disapointed by the Akurate amps. They are powerfull and performing well.

The move to Exakt force me to amplify 10 channels. The idea is to sell the Mono's and get an additional S/H 4200 and 2 x 2200 amps.
This setup enable me to drive the 3K arrays with 2 x 4200's and the bass driver with 2 x 2200 amps. Two amps per speaker.
Big improvement. Case closed. Everyone happy.

I must admit that I do not like to sell the Mono's. The option to keep the Mono's driving the M109 would be ideal, but is budget wise not realistic for the short term.

Adding 4 Tundra stereo's is also not an option.

If I understand correctly, with Exakt you can change the gain settings per channel. If that works you could theoretically match the Linn amp and Lejonklou amps in the same setup.

If I could get another 2 (s/h) tundra stereo's, it should be possible the drive the bass drivers with the 4200, the mid with the Mono's and the both tweeters with the tundra stereo. or would this be a bit too much :)
In the future I could replace the 4200 for another 2 tundra stereo's.

This would make it possible to change amps in an aktiv setup in different phases.
Would it work (and perform well), or should I forget the option?
any suggestions?
Forget it.
All Linn amps or 5 Tundra stereos, ask for a swap 2 stereos for your monos
valentine

Mono's vs Exakt

Post by valentine »

Thanks Anthony.
You made it very clear.

Which means I come to the same conclusion again and again.

Getting another 3 Tundra's is not possible from a budget perspective.
If it is not possible to mix amps, I would go with Linn Akurate amps in the first place.
At a later stage I could upgrade to 5 Tundra stereo's.
It is what it is :)