Tundra mono

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: UK Launch of Tundra Mono's 15th Feb 2013

Post by tokenbrit »

I appreciate this is just pencilled in at the moment, but is the 15th pretty well set, or still subject to change? The reason for asking is I'm visiting the UK in Feb, but not until the 16th - go figure... For that reason, if the UK Launch at Hidden Systems did slip to the following week, that'd be great for me, but I wouldn't ask or expect plans to change just because of that...

Also, if I could change my trip to a week earlier to attend on the 15th, do you have an idea yet whether this would be afternoon or evening? I'd love to hear Tundra Stereo vs Mono, including 2 vs 2. I plan to do so (again) in Ann Arbor when Thomas has Tundra Monos, but it would be great to hear them at Hidden Systems.
HIDDENSYSTEMS wrote:Hi all from UK, so we finally get snow

Fredrik has pencilled Friday 15th Feb 2013 to be at HiddenSystems UK, Hartley Wintney RG27 8PE, 30 miles west of London Jct 4A M3.

We will demo with various sources inc. LP12, DS, Rega CD, Oppo 105, KK into both Tundra Stereo and Mono's. Those that want to hear 2 x Tundra Stereo vs. 2 x Monos let me know.

If you would like to come along please let me know in advance

Best Regards

Chris Fuller
+441252845400 chris.fuller at hiddensystems dot co dot uk
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: UK Launch of Tundra Mono's 15th Feb 2013

Post by anthony »

tokenbrit wrote:I appreciate this is just pencilled in at the moment, but is the 15th pretty well set, or still subject to change? The reason for asking is I'm visiting the UK in Feb, but not until the 16th - go figure... For that reason, if the UK Launch at Hidden Systems did slip to the following week, that'd be great for me, but I wouldn't ask or expect plans to change just because of that...

Also, if I could change my trip to a week earlier to attend on the 15th, do you have an idea yet whether this would be afternoon or evening? I'd love to hear Tundra Stereo vs Mono, including 2 vs 2. I plan to do so (again) in Ann Arbor when Thomas has Tundra Monos, but it would be great to hear them at Hidden Systems.
HIDDENSYSTEMS wrote:Hi all from UK, so we finally get snow

Fredrik has pencilled Friday 15th Feb 2013 to be at HiddenSystems UK, Hartley Wintney RG27 8PE, 30 miles west of London Jct 4A M3.

We will demo with various sources inc. LP12, DS, Rega CD, Oppo 105, KK into both Tundra Stereo and Mono's. Those that want to hear 2 x Tundra Stereo vs. 2 x Monos let me know.

If you would like to come along please let me know in advance

Best Regards

Chris Fuller
+441252845400 chris.fuller at hiddensystems dot co dot uk
Hi Tokenbrit

Fredrik is visiting me on the 16th of Feb, we will have Klimax

twin/solos available, alongside the Tundra stereo and Tundra monos. Sources KDS/KK2

This will be in Luton, 25mins north of London, by train from St Pancras .

You would be most welcome.

Anthony
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I really appreciate the offer, Anthony, and would love to but we're due to land at Gatwick early on the 16th, & meant to be heading to the south coast... Would be tough to make it to Luton on that Saturday :/

Curious to know where else Fredrik is planning to visit in the UK
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you everyone for your kind words about Tundra Mono!
Right now, number 11 and 12 are playing Bob Marley. This pair I will bring with me to Göteborg on Wednesday.

Here's the schedule for upcoming demonstrations:

Wednesday the 23rd of January at Tonläget in Göteborg
Friday the 15th of February at Hidden Systems in Hartley Wintney
Saturday the 16th of February at Anthony Lockwood's place in Luton
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

On the train to Göteborg. See you in seven hours!
minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:On the train to Göteborg. See you in seven hours!
Any inputs från Göteborg with Tundra Mono?

Mike
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Mono is clearly more musical and also sound a bit cleaner, more powerful & dynamic.
The sonic signature from Tundra Stereo remains i.e. full focus on music.
A truly great achievement, WELL DONE!

Hope to have time to compare with Solos in my system in the coming weeks.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you, Music Lover!

I didn't count how many we were in Tonlägets small listening room. Maybe ten? Anyway I got the impression that everyone found the demonstration of Mono impressive. If not, feel free to object here! :)

I am very much looking forward to your impressions of how the Mono's perform in your system, ML!
Last edited by lejonklou on 2013-01-25 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Komri

Post by Komri »

lejonklou wrote:I am very much looking forward to your impressions of how the Mono's perform in your system.
+ 1 :-)
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

+10! Everyone's being quiet - maybe they're all stunned at how good it is, or maybe it's really awful (unlikely I know!). Looking forward to Fredriks's UK visits in February.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Three other guests at the Göteborg event have written on the Swedish tune forum Melodik. They might show up here later.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Rufus McDufus wrote:+10! Everyone's being quiet - maybe they're all stunned at how good it is, or maybe it's really awful (unlikely I know!). Looking forward to Fredriks's UK visits in February.
Maybe they're busy doing their day job, which I should be :O)

Glad it went well Fredrik. I would have liked to have had a listen at Tony's, but we have two family birthdays to celebrate that day. I'm sure there will be another opportunity to hear them though.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for the translation, matthias!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Tundra Mono demo in Gothenburg

Post by Linnofil »

I was there, attending the demo. Fredrik did some comparisons with Tundra, 2xTundra and 2xTundra Mono. I was VERY impressed with the Mono's!

I have also always been very impressed with the stereo version of the Tundra and believe that it's better than a KCT/B and KCT/D. At least in the comparisons I have made. So the Tundra is very good. Still it was made to sound not so impressive when compared to the Mono's.

With the Mono's the music was much more easy to access and understand. Difficult music (on Tundra) was easy to understand with the Mono's. Music that sounded harsh and distorted was suddenly clear and easy to live with, even like, when using the Tundra Mono. Impressive to say the least. I think that the Lejonklou brand has a real champion with the Tundra Mono. When it comes to music, is there any better power amp out there?

I can't imagine anyone not being very happy with the Mono's. Regardless what they had before, including Klimax Solo's. Yes, I have a feeling that they are better than the Solo's, without comparing. But I would still like to have a shootout! Especially with Solo/D's.

The demo was mostly done with the Klångedang T1 speakers. They are VERY good! We also compared them with the Akurate 242's.

All in all it was a very pleasant evening. Some beer and snacks, some nice people and very good music through some very amazing products!
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

lejonklou wrote:Thank you everyone for your kind words about Tundra Mono!
Right now, number 11 and 12 are playing Bob Marley. This pair I will bring with me to Göteborg on Wednesday.

Here's the schedule for upcoming demonstrations:

Wednesday the 23rd of January at Tonläget in Göteborg
Friday the 15th of February at Hidden Systems in Hartley Wintney
Saturday the 16th of February at Anthony Lockwood's place in Luton
Listening to Tundra Monos #13 & #14 vs. Tundra #13 in a full Klimax system with KDS/1, KK/2, and 350P's

I called Fredrik on my mobile yesterday, "the Mono's are amazing"

http://hiddensystems.co.uk/hi-fi/hi-fi- ... lejonklou/

Really looking forward the the 15th with Fredrik and the Linn lounge featuring Knopfler on 22nd
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Anyone got an opinion on Tundra Mono vs Klimax Solo yet? I've never actually heard Solos which is probably a good thing bank account-wise.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,

is it correct that both the Tundra Stereo and the Tundra Mono are delivering the same output peak voltage (26V) ?

matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:is it correct that both the Tundra Stereo and the Tundra Mono are delivering the same output peak voltage (26V) ?
Yes Matthias, that is correct.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Rufus McDufus wrote:+10! Everyone's being quiet - maybe they're all stunned at how good it is, or maybe it's really awful (unlikely I know!). Looking forward to Fredriks's UK visits in February.
Rufus, good to fire up Monos last night at your home and await feedback....
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Thanks for giving up half your Sunday yesterday and giving me the chance to listen to Tundra Monos Chris! I have borrowed them for a day or two so have had a good chance to form an opinion I think.

Basically we had a chance to audition 2 Monos versus my 2x v1.1 Tundra stereos. Equipment is KDS/1, KK/2, Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes which are Danish floorstanders with ribbon tweeters - they're very responsive speakers, not to everyone's taste but I like them.
We tried a variety of cables from my Sarum interconnects, Audiovector speaker cables to Linn silvers & K400.

Simple tune-dem opinion? Even more musical & emotional! I don't know how Fredrik does it but he manages to inject real emotion into the music and it just makes you want to listen again and again. The Tundra Stereos have the same qualities but the Mono is even more.

The cliche explanations? Definitely more detail, separation & the thing I noticed first more attack. particularly on bass drums. It's a real in-your-stomach thump as it should be.

Now compared with 2 Tundra Stereos the differences are interesting. It's maybe not as great as I thought it would be. I would definitely say 2 Stereos (using one channel of each) is marginally closer to Mono in performance than 1 Stereo on its own. The interesting thing is how it differs. It's probably subtle to someone not so used to the Tundra Stereo but I was quite surprised. I guess I was expecting bigger better everything but it's not quite like that. I couldn't quite put my finger on it first but I realise that music sounds more 'live' on the Monos. What it seems to be is that you can really hear instruments are miked - there's definite air between mike and instrument. This isn't so evident on the Stereo (and to be honest almost all Linn amps & everything else) where everything can sound a bit direct and less realistic. It's interesting on older music (which I tend to listen to) because miking was pretty much de rigeur up until the 80s, during which when musicians started direct-injecting straight into the mixing desk & using effects to make it sound more 'live' but without the inherent ambient problems of miking. You really hear it on drums which of course are generally miked even now - they sound epic through the Monos, as they were recorded originally!

So all in all very interesting indeed. The Monos certainly don't trash the Stereos by any means. It really does require a careful audition to determine which you prefer. I think the Monos are just about the best power amps I've ever heard because I love the sound they produce. It is an absolutely extraordinary achievement by Fredrik!
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

The Monos are getting even better with usage! I didn't make it terribly clear above but you can just sense the air between performers in the studio. Playing a good old-fashioned loose-miked album like 'Let It Be' you are in the studio with The Beatles - it is extraordinary! They really present a wonderful analogue sound. Will be interesting to hear what an LP12 sounds like with the Monos... Should be good with classical music too.
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

I've changed my opinion again! The Monos are getting more run-in. I'm afraid the gap between Mono and even 2 Stereos is getting bigger. These amps are sensationally good.
tmilligan

Post by tmilligan »

Rufus McDufus wrote:I've changed my opinion again! The Monos are getting more run-in. I'm afraid the gap between Mono and even 2 Stereos is getting bigger. These amps are sensationally good.
Just as I was thinking I could get away with adding a second Stereo...!
ADSM, Rega P3-24, 4200/D, aktiv Katans
MDS-I/D, 4100/D, aktiv Katans
Kiko
Sekrit DSM, 5110s
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Monos have gone back now :( Missing them already.
From new at least they do need a bit of warming up, much like the Stereos. It seems not just switched on but playing music benefits them. Chris had used the Monos over the few days before getting them last week but they did seem to improve dramatically to me over the course of the day and a half I borrowed them. Not that they sounded bad before of course, but definitely went to a new level with some running-in. What they'll be like when fully run-in I can only imagine at the moment...