Tundra mono

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Yes, thanks to the hosts and the hostess.

Great afternoon!!

Everything started with a short recap on the development of the Tundra and why certain design choises where made. Interesting.

Now to the muslc. 
Starting with the Tundra stereo. I've listened to it before on different occassions and in different systems. I think it's great and can only agree with the positive reviews.

Music, to name a few, was Johnny cash - The man comes around, Neil Young - Old ways and Tom Morello. I'm familiar with all the records, and the latter have been spinning a lot at home the past weeks.

A few AB comparisons to begin with. It was quiet obvious from the beginning. No need to compare after that. And I honestly did'nt want to either. Play the next track instead.

WOW. FUN. Engaging. Detail. Wanted to hear more.

A demo that turned into a music evening, just swapping records one after the other to hear your favourite pick. It was that good.
To bad I had to leave so early.
/Daniel

LP12SE
haraldur

Post by haraldur »

Gaaah!
Wrote a post just to loose it out in cyberspace...

What i wrote, but with a lot more words,was that i am highly impressed with the Monos. I also found Fredrik very sympathetic and passioned.

I give the Solos both thumbs up,they gets even better the more that happens on the record at the same time. Deep Purpe "Who do we think we are" was a true jam session,insanely good!

Just to compare with something Scotish,they has to use costumes in aluminium cases before they reach this level...
Remove links or BANG!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

haraldur wrote: I give the Solos both thumbs up,.....
"Solos" are the Tundra Monos?
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

I'd be interested to hear what sources & amplification were used too.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

From another thread
Erik wrote:
I use a KDS or a Sondek as source and a KK and a pair of 212s....

Erik
Half of the system..

Amps was the Tundra stereo or Mono.
/Daniel

LP12SE
Erik

Post by Erik »

Thanks everyone for joining this event.
I can only agree with the previous comments. The Mono (as haraldur means when he says Solo) are fantastic amps. I have had the Tundra since the launch and it has connected me to the music as never before but the Mono's are so much better. Pure music!
I felt we almost showed the Tundra to only be decent but bare in mind how good it is when you compare it to the Mono's.

We mainly listened to my LP12SE as it leaves the KDS a little bit embarrassed.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks for sharing your impressions.
I would very much have joined the demonstration, too bad I don´t live close enough.
Still hoping that Fredrik will manage to visit also Amsterdam this year.

The Tundra ´stereo´ already received a very warm welcome, and with the mono version being so much better, things must have gotten really hot during the event!

Erik, when you say it leaves the KDS embarrassed, do you mean Tunda mono was so ruthlessly good and revealing, it was able to show weaknesses further up the chain?

With which speakers was the demo being held?
212 and 242?
When partnered with a single pair of monos are these combos playing into the league of say A320 and A350s?
Or is that too differrent to compare, and should we just stick to 212/242 and dynamiked Solos for comparision?

I am really getting curious, would eagerly welcome a more extensive review. Fredrik has apparantly created another milestone.
Congratulations! I will follow this thread with great interest.
Erik

Post by Erik »

mrco99 wrote:Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Erik, when you say it leaves the KDS embarrassed, do you mean Tunda mono was so ruthlessly good and revealing, it was able to show weaknesses further up the chain?

With which speakers was the demo being held?
212 and 242?
We used my 212 mk2 as speakers.
A better amp always reveals the quality up the chain but the Tundra Stereo is fully capable of showing the difference between the sources. I mainly ment that I find my LP12 clearly better than my KDS.
I can enjoy playing music through the DS for hours but going from the LP12 to the DS is not always so funny.

/Erik
haraldur

Post by haraldur »

Agree on that,i can enjoy the Sneaky DS for hours and even think it is quite okay,until i play a track or two on the turntable. Then it is game over for digital streaming for the rest of that day..

It feels like the difference between a good DS and a basic DS is smaller than the difference between a medium spec turntable and a good DS.

I don´t know how i could write Solo instead of Mono in the earyier post,probably because my associations went to the Solos.

My tube amplifier friend was saved after listening to the Tundra. I am hopeful for him that he eventualy find the light,and now we arent talking glow from a pentode tube:-) He slowly but surely he begins to open his eyes..(or shall i say ears?)
Remove links or BANG!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

It depends how well specced that LP12 is and against which digital source you put it.

I built up my music collection when CD market was blossoming during the ´90 era.
Over the last years had an Ikemi, then started streaming with Squeezebox, Sneaky, MDS, MDS/d, ADS0/d then Renew DS.
Only when I reached ADS0/d level I found it satisfying enough and could happily have lived with that. Just two weeks ago sold the Ikemi as it wasn´t used anymore, but I found it competitative enough against a MDS.

Maybe someday a LP12 will turn up but on the digital side I find a Renew DS musically very satisfying to listen to, even longer periods.

Sorry for taking this thread a bit off topic, back to mono
(thanks Phil Spector...;-)
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Interestingly, and staying off-topic, from a musical & emotional point of view I think I got more enjoyment from my Renew than I do now with my KDS/1. I'm also starting to feel the KDS/1 is the limiting factor in my system. Tundra Mono (I currently use 2 Stereos) sounds like it's going to reinforce that opinion.
tmilligan

Post by tmilligan »

Rufus McDufus wrote:Interestingly, and staying off-topic, from a musical & emotional point of view I think I got more enjoyment from my Renew than I do now with my KDS/1. I'm also starting to feel the KDS/1 is the limiting factor in my system. Tundra Mono (I currently use 2 Stereos) sounds like it's going to reinforce that opinion.
I am averse to straying off topic but I have to agree with this. I ran the Renew and the KDS/1 in parallel for a while. The KDS/1 excelled in detail but whenever I switched back to the Klimax Renew I enjoyed the music more. This is quite likely just a quirk of my system or my ears but interesting to know I'm not alone.
ADSM, Rega P3-24, 4200/D, aktiv Katans
MDS-I/D, 4100/D, aktiv Katans
Kiko
Sekrit DSM, 5110s
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Never heard a KDS/1 but maybe it´s detail got so well it´s distracting from the overall musical picture.
I had the same kind of experience when upgrading my Kairn to an Exotik, the smps Kairn just let the music flow, where I felt the Exotik bugged me with detail. Something I again missed when returning to the Kairn in fact.
Only after the Exotik being dyamiked (turning essentially into a AK0/d) I found the Kairn was being surpassed in all areas.

Maybe we are getting towards a crosspoint here with the KDS and at some point have to either choose detail or musicality.
Or our ears are just not that quickly adaptive as our state of technology proceeds...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

My take on this...a better source need more careful installation and highlight limitations in other areas in the system. Both before the KDS (ripping, storing, network architecture, HIFI shelves) and after. (amps, speakers etc)

In some ways, a DS is more demanding than a LP12!

Guys, back toTundra Monos?
It's all about musical understanding!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Music Lover wrote: Guys, back toTundra Monos?
Thanks ML, yes please.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Music Lover wrote:My take on this...a better source need more careful installation and highlight limitations in other areas in the system. Both before the KDS (ripping, storing, network architecture, HIFI shelves) and after. (amps, speakers etc)

In some ways, a DS is more demanding than a LP12!

Guys, back toTundra Monos?
I couldn't agree more. I have a very good installation when it comes to network, NAS, cabels etc. My digital playback is the best I have heard thanks to Linnofil and his home built PC NAS. Still the LP12 beats it.

My LP 12 is a Movigu plinth full spec one with Klimax Radikal/Urika.

The Mono's are even better now after a few days playing. Sound wise more space and room but important, musically more fluid and natural. I find myself exploring new motions on the records. I hear things I have never thought of before even if they have been there.

I am a full blown source guy and this feels like a major source upgrade.

/Erik
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Anyone had the chance to compare two Tundra Monos vs two Tundra Stereos?
pär

Post by pär »

Anyone had the chance to compare two Tundra Monos vs two Tundra Stereos?
Tundra mono is not just a sterotundra with one channel. Tundra mono is tuned for one channel and has a stronger/better driveamp before the end transistor? So i thnik its safe to say mono is better.
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Of course, but nevertheless I would still audition first before deciding to replace my 2 Tundra Stereos.
tmilligan

Post by tmilligan »

Rufus McDufus wrote:Of course, but nevertheless I would still audition first before deciding to replace my 2 Tundra Stereos.
This would also be interesting for those of us with 1 Tundra who might consider moving to a pair of Monos or alternatively buying a second Tundra - especially since there might be the odd one popping up for sale as people move to Monos!
ADSM, Rega P3-24, 4200/D, aktiv Katans
MDS-I/D, 4100/D, aktiv Katans
Kiko
Sekrit DSM, 5110s
minge

Post by minge »

tmilligan wrote:
Rufus McDufus wrote:Of course, but nevertheless I would still audition first before deciding to replace my 2 Tundra Stereos.
This would also be interesting for those of us with 1 Tundra who might consider moving to a pair of Monos or alternatively buying a second Tundra - especially since there might be the odd one popping up for sale as people move to Monos!
Got my Tundra Monos 001 and 002 this week had Tundra before and tested two Tundra with only one chanel on each amp and i can say the Tundra is good but Tundra Monos is something else the music flows so smooth hear new things on tracks i heard hundred times it like i uppgraded my KDSM thanks Fredrik a fantastic product.

Mike
HIDDENSYSTEMS

UK Launch of Tundra Mono's 15th Feb 2013

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Hi all from UK, so we finally get snow

Fredrik has pencilled Friday 15th Feb 2013 to be at HiddenSystems UK, Hartley Wintney RG27 8PE, 30 miles west of London Jct 4A M3.

We will demo with various sources inc. LP12, DS, Rega CD, Oppo 105, KK into both Tundra Stereo and Mono's. Those that want to hear 2 x Tundra Stereo vs. 2 x Monos let me know.

If you would like to come along please let me know in advance

Best Regards

Chris Fuller
+441252845400 chris.fuller at hiddensystems dot co dot uk
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Looking forward to it! I can bring one or both my Tundra stereos if need be.
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

Great - yes bring one along so we have a full range of LINN Klimax Twin, Solos, Tundra Stereo x 2 and Tundra Mono x 2

Hey this is proper snow, yes I know Brits love talking weather and 3cms stops the country but the snow flakes are 1 pound/euro coin size in Hampshire. Expect drama...Our old VW Polo is so much better on snow than a loan Ford Focus. Great I drive a Volvo XC90 4 x 4 all year and its in the garage when it snows
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
Erik

Post by Erik »

Hi Chris!

I will try to visit You during the occasion but a lot of things demand my attention back home so it might be undoable.

Best wishes.

Erik