Tundra mono

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Lejonklou Tundra Mono / stereo

Post by Ozzzy189 »

valentine wrote:I understand the price is currently set at GBP 2750.
Is the warranty period of the Tundra amps also 5 years, similar as Linn amps?
Yes, five years warranty I believe.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

My theory is that Solos work better with Linn speakers (heard 350Ps, 242s), but I've always preferred Monos partnered with other manufacturers speakers. In fact I've not really liked Solos with anything else I've heard but I think the Mono, due to its neutrality, is more versatile. Just my personal impression.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Is the EU 240V at 50Hz everywhere?

In the US it is 60Hz.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

SaltyDog wrote:Is the EU 240V at 50Hz everywhere?
EU standard is 230 VAC @ 50 Hz. This is for single phase power in regular wall outlets.

Personally I can't understand how anybody could prefer a KCT/D to a Tundra 1.1 or 1.2. I have only heard Tundras on 230/50. But not all comparisons and systems are the same. I can only report my own experience.

Considering the difference between Solo and the Tundra 1.1 that I have heard and the Mono vs. Stereo it's my opinion that (for me) the Monos must be better then the Solos. Even if we can't all agree on that I think that is incredibly impressive for a small manufacturer. Now we have the best value pre/power amplifiers, speakers (T1) and NAS coming from Sweden! :-)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote:Interesting if it did happen that 120v favours Tundra, while Linn electronics do better at 240v - mixed system might need separate power strips to perform optimally.

I believe Lejonklou amps are set to 120 or to 240 as required rather than auto sensing - is that 'reversible' such that a Tundra set for 240 could be reset for 120 with no resulting difference to one that had been set to 120 from the beginning?
Technically it is a little different than you describe. The power supplies in the Tundra are auto-sensing and the Tundras shipped to 220 to 240 volt countries are shipped set that way. However, it was found that in low voltage usage the relay that did the switching for the auto-sensing system could interact with bass notes near the AC line frequency and switch back and forth quickly between voltage settings making an audible physical noise. This actually did not effect the sound coming through the speakers but the physical noise from the amp could sometimes be heard over the music.

Fredrik verified this and after trying a few different things to deal with this he found that the most musical fix was to bypass the auto-sensing system and relay and directly wire these amps for 120 Volts. This is a simple change to the power supplies involving cutting one link and soldering another so it can be changed to either way of operation. Fredrik and I can do the change if required. Normally, unless otherwise requested, units sold in North America will have been set for 120 Volts at Lejonklou. I have to say his response to the problem was quick and thorough and the solution is clean and simple.
valentine

Mono upgrade?

Post by valentine »

The latest upgrade version of the Tundra stereo is V1.2
Are there any upgrades planned for the Tundra mono in the next 6 months?
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Mono upgrade?

Post by anthony »

valentine wrote:The latest upgrade version of the Tundra stereo is V1.2
Are there any upgrades planned for the Tundra mono in the next 6 months?
Only if Fredrik can improve it. An impossible qu to answer.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Valentine!

There are currently no plans to upgrade Tundra Mono. Being my latest design, it feels perfect and I don't know which part/s would be possible to improve. I recognise this is the way I feel after every new design is completed!

Now I am working on something different - a design which at the moment feels far from perfect. I continually make small discoveries, none of which so far have been applicable to the Tundra designs. But sooner or later, I will wonder whether a component, a circuit, a tweak or an idea could work in Tundra Stereo or Mono. And then I try it. Often it fails, but if it does work, I try to implement it as soon as possible. And then I try to offer it as an upgrade. 1.1 and 1.2 on Tundra Stereo came about that way and were carried out free of charge.

Hopefully I will arrive at further improvements, but as Anthony said, it's impossible to know when. I can only keep working. This is probably not how bigger companies are run, but I really don't know where I will end up in advance.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I bet Monos and akubarik passive are incredibly good, I'd like to hear any thoughts of anyone who hears them!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ozzzy189 wrote:I bet Monos and akubarik passive are incredibly good, I'd like to hear any thoughts of anyone who hears them!
Yes, me too!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

lejonklou wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote:I bet Monos and akubarik passive are incredibly good, I'd like to hear any thoughts of anyone who hears them!
Yes, me too!
Me too! Chris or Anthony perhaps?
/Daniel

LP12SE
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Daniel wrote:
lejonklou wrote:
Yes, me too!
Me too! Chris or Anthony perhaps?
I am due to get some passive akubariks soon, and will probably visit Chris before that. Will report back.
Had a Rococo music evening Friday, found the aktiv akubariks very involving. Once you catch on to the array and upper bass integration, it's a bit addictive.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

anthony wrote: Had a Rococo music evening Friday, found the aktiv akubariks very involving. Once you catch on to the array and upper bass integration, it's a bit addictive.
Couldn't agree more!
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
valentine

Mono's

Post by valentine »

This weekend I spent some time to listen to music with my ADSM, A242 speakers and my Mono's (which I received last week).
I must say the mono's are much more musical than my Akurate amp. Voices are more natural, music is more detailed and also the bass performance is good.
They just sound very good and my biggest frustration (TV broadcasts) is gone as the Mono's sound much more natural.

The audio difference of the Mono's compared to Akurate amps is more subtle than the KCT as I can remember from auditions before.
As I have not compared the two amps together I cannot really comment on the KCT.

I am very happy with the Mono's and they drive the 242's very well, which are known as a difficult speaker.

The amps stay on all the time and do not get very warm.

Fredrik, very well done!
Last edited by valentine on 2013-11-05 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Well in there v. well chuffed for you.
I think you'll find them the better the more you listen, and if you ever plug a 4200 in after using the monos for a few weeks, i personally think you'd be shocked at how much better the monos are.
congrats,
daniel.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you valentine!
valentine

Lejonklou Mono

Post by valentine »

Hi Fredrik,

The longer I live with the Mono's the more impressed I am about the performance and musicality of the Mono's. The Mono's are a fantastic match with the ADSM and A242's. The Mono's bring music alive and the 242's shine as never before. Also my family enjoy the music very much and like music now they never played before. I am really pleased. Thank you!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lejonklou Mono

Post by lejonklou »

valentine wrote:The longer I live with the Mono's the more impressed I am about the performance and musicality of the Mono's.
Once again, thank you for the feedback, Daniel! To read comments like yours really makes my day.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote:
valentine wrote:The longer I live with the Mono's the more impressed I am about the performance and musicality of the Mono's.
Once again, thank you for the feedback, Daniel! To read comments like yours really makes my day.
Well, I'll make your day even better then!

I've now been living with Tundra Monos for over two weeks, replacing a dynamiked Klimax Twin in a latest spec KDS/KK/242s system. The Monos are much better than the Twin on tune dem and, as Rufus said earlier, make the music sound more "organic". In comparison, the Twin sounds slightly harsh, which is something both me and my wife were becoming increasingly uncomfortable with.

I am reminded of dems I did many years ago between Linn and Naim amps (I haven't heard Naim amps recently, this is going back a bit). Linn amps always won on tune dem, which is why I bought them, but individual instruments sounded more natural on the Naim amps. Now with the Monos I have tunes and more natural sounding instruments. I think you can hear how careful Fredrik has been preserving signal integrity. I continually notice extra nuances in keyboard and guitar notes, and have caught myself thinking how much more realistic pianos sound several times.

A fantastic achievement Fredrik. Now where's that pre-amp? :-)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Now daniel, you can certainly rest easy knowing you made the right choice !
regards, from another daniel !!!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

macrotech2 wrote:Now where's that pre-amp? :-)
If you follow "Lejonklou" on Instagram, you will get a hunch. :)
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Thanks for the tip! Looks interesting.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Can anyone spill the beans? I'm not an insta grammmer!
Cheers!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Fredrik has his preamp prototype board for 2/3rd finished.
After that more testing and listening is required.
Looks impressive. I counted 6 pairs of cinch connectors at the back,
which could imply one output stage and 5 inputs.
Alternatively, it may also house a pre out and a line out - for a later to be released dedicated headphone stage - leaving four line level inputs.

But all that is just speculation on my part.
Last edited by mrco99 on 2013-11-29 05:19, edited 2 times in total.
Rufus McDufus

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Interesting pictures! I wasn't an Instagrammer before today either but signed up just to take a look. Fredrik's been doing some serious work by the looks of it.