Tundra with aktiv 350P's

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Tundra with aktiv 350P's

Post by lejonklou »

Here is how to use Lejonklou Tundra power amplifiers with Linn Klimax Aktiv crossovers and Artikulate/Klimax 350P loudspeakers:

1. On the two balanced cables going from 'Bass' on Klimax Aktiv to 'Balanced Audio In' on 350, open the female XLR connectors in the source end (the ones that connect to Klimax Aktiv). Inside both of these connectors, do the following:
- Disconnect the wire that goes to the negative (cold) pin.
- Reconnect the wire to the ground pin instead, together with the shield.
Close both XLR connectors.

2. On the rear of both 350P's, set the switch 'Bass Shelf' to -2 dB.

The first step above reduces the bass signal to 350P with 6 dB. The second step reduces it by 2 dB. In total, the bass level now matches the level of Tundra. No additional circuitry or attenuators involved.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Great suggestion. Certainly seems the cleanest way to do this. Would be interested to hear from anybody who sets this up and gives it a listen.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I have now got 350's running with Klimax crossovers and four Tundras and I can confirm that the modification to the leads that connect the 350 bass amps to the KK1 works perfectly.

My dealer (Anthony on the forum) came up on Thursday to install the system. First of all, Klimax Twins (3 dynamik and one non dynamik) were installed and from the off they were a big improvement over the single Tundra I was using to drive the 350ps. After the system had warmed up the Twins were taken out and replaced by four Tundras. Initially they were not as good but as they warmed up they improved. Our conclusion was that they were comparable to the Twins - not better or worse. If it stayed like this, I was going to stay with Twins - they do have an ageless look to them.

So the next move was to swap back to the Twins when Tony re-torqued the speaker modules and then Tony with his partner Vickie fine tuned the crossovers for the room. Anybody would be extremely pleased with the sound that was now coming from the system.

The final move was to switch back to the Tundras as I needed to decide which route I would follow - one of the Tundras was borrowed from a friend and he will want it back in a week or so. This time the Tundras were powered with the dedicated mains leads that came with them (the KCT leads had been used previously) and obviously the crossovers had been fine tuned.

This was a revelation with the system moving to a different level - musical/tuneful/powerful and all that. And significantly better than the Twin system.

My plan is to run the Tundra system for a week or so and then revert to the four Twins. I will then decide what to do, but my gut feeling is that it will be to go with the Tundras.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Fantastic. Now where is the like button when one really needs it?

I would very much like to listen to your system, Flatcoat!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Installation, my friends - installation is KEY!
It's all about musical understanding!
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I totally agree. Tony has looked after my 'system' for over 20 years now and has never failed to make the best recommendations, and then to fine tune the system to the n'th degree so it sounded at its very best.
Music Lover wrote:Installation, my friends - installation is KEY!
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Frederik, you would be very welcome.
lejonklou wrote:Fantastic. Now where is the like button when one really needs it?

I would very much like to listen to your system, Flatcoat!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Flatcoat wrote:Frederik, you would be very welcome.
Thank you! I will certainly keep that in mind for my next UK visit.

Any pictures of the setup?
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Music Lover wrote:Installation, my friends - installation is KEY!
Couldn't agree more. That's why I was so pleased to have Anthony come and install my new 242s yesterday!
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

lejonklou wrote:Image
That's really nice!!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Friggin` biscuits.
That is a truly great looking (and without doubt sounding) system!
I can only dream of having such a setup in between my Keltiks...;-)

Did you for a moment consider to have either the Linn Klimax or Tundras having painted or changed in matching colours?

Cheers and enjoy,

Marco
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Over the last 12 days I have been comparing the Tundra based with the Twin based system. Both systems were a huge improvement over the passive setup. I found they both improved as time went on, and have concluded that I prefer the Tundra system for its sound quality, and the Twin system for its looks. However, sound quality is the most important to me, so that means that I am going to stay with the Tundras.
Flatcoat wrote:I have now got 350's running with Klimax crossovers and four Tundras and I can confirm that the modification to the leads that connect the 350 bass amps to the KK1 works perfectly.

My dealer (Anthony on the forum) came up on Thursday to install the system. First of all, Klimax Twins (3 dynamik and one non dynamik) were installed and from the off they were a big improvement over the single Tundra I was using to drive the 350ps. After the system had warmed up the Twins were taken out and replaced by four Tundras. Initially they were not as good but as they warmed up they improved. Our conclusion was that they were comparable to the Twins - not better or worse. If it stayed like this, I was going to stay with Twins - they do have an ageless look to them.

So the next move was to swap back to the Twins when Tony re-torqued the speaker modules and then Tony with his partner Vickie fine tuned the crossovers for the room. Anybody would be extremely pleased with the sound that was now coming from the system.

The final move was to switch back to the Tundras as I needed to decide which route I would follow - one of the Tundras was borrowed from a friend and he will want it back in a week or so. This time the Tundras were powered with the dedicated mains leads that came with them (the KCT leads had been used previously) and obviously the crossovers had been fine tuned.

This was a revelation with the system moving to a different level - musical/tuneful/powerful and all that. And significantly better than the Twin system.

My plan is to run the Tundra system for a week or so and then revert to the four Twins. I will then decide what to do, but my gut feeling is that it will be to go with the Tundras.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Flatcoat,

So you are also preferring Tundra above KCT.
Very impressive and intresting.

Maybe you already have one customer for a KCT (Rowland), for his newly acquired 242s, though I believe he went through most of his budget already...

Do you find the difference between KCT and Tundra a subtle one or something of day-and-night proportions?
You are probably aware of the upcoming ´Tundra´ Mono version, you don´t find it difficult to wait for that outcome?

Cheers,

Marco
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Interesting indeed.

Unfortunately I have more than blown my budget to get the 242s in the first place, so no poweramp upgrades for me for some time...
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I rate systems on how much I want to listen to them as my way of identifying which I prefer. I had been using two dynamik twins running my 350ps and then tried them with a single Tundra. I found that there was something very special about what the Tundra did with the music which made it preferable to listen to. It definitely not a night and day difference - it is not as if the dynamik Twin is a poor amp !

I am well aware of the mono version coming, and assuming I stay with the Tundras, I could buy a mono set to replace the borrowed stereo one I am using. However, Fredrik has indicated that the stereo versions could be upgraded in the future based on what he has learnt about the mono. So I may stay with the stereo version. Also one set of monos would give me an odd number of boxes ie 5 power amps, so I would really need 2 sets of monos. But will that be as good as what I have now ? At present everything is correct about the sound I am getting and in particular the bass is not over powering the room. If I added the monos would they overpower the room ?

I previously owned Komris driven active by four Twins and the system never worked right - particularly form the bass control.

I should also say that when the active 350s were setup by Anthony, he found that one of the bass power amps was not working, so only one of the bass drivers is working on one of the speakers. This is not ideal, but not considered it would have a massive effect on the overall sound. He could have taken the amp module away for sending back to Linn there and then, but I wanted to listen first for a couple weeks. My feeling was that the slight effect on sound would affect the Tundra and Twin systems equally. The amp is going back to Linn later today.

One other thing, I do not particularly like swapping components over as an 'accident' could easily occur which could be very expensive !

PS last night I was listening to a track from the Pros and cons of hitch hiking by Roger Waters. This was a huge favourite of mine when I ran active Isobariks (using six 135's then six LK280/Sparks then six LK140's). I have never heard it sound so good.
mrco99 wrote:Hi Flatcoat,

So you are also preferring Tundra above KCT.
Very impressive and intresting.

Maybe you already have one customer for a KCT (Rowland), for his newly acquired 242s, though I believe he went through most of his budget already...

Do you find the difference between KCT and Tundra a subtle one or something of day-and-night proportions?
You are probably aware of the upcoming ´Tundra´ Mono version, you don´t find it difficult to wait for that outcome?

Cheers,

Marco
Last edited by Flatcoat on 2012-10-31 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thank you for your detailed and instructive answer.

Also great to hear that old favourites play so well now, sometimes memories can play a trick on how good it actually was in the past, and I guess your current system can be so revealing it might destroy that picture, with a more acurate but also ruthless playback.
It also greatly depends upon the quality of the recording though - not much to fear from that with someone like Roger Waters....;-)
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

The amp module from the 350's is back with Linn for repair. During this I had a chance to listen to Anthony's system - dynamik Solos driving 350ps. My conclusion was that my active Tundra system was in a totally different league ! All the more remarkable is that my system has always been compromised. I have a 42 inch Plasma screen between my 350s and Katans at the rear of the room for the 5103 based surround sound system. Also the table that supports my amps/KDS/KK/Xovers that has the plasma screen on top is on castors !

It is very rare that I have listened to Anthony's system and not come away thinking that I wish I owned that !
Flatcoat wrote: I should also say that when the active 350s were setup by Anthony, he found that one of the bass power amps was not working, so only one of the bass drivers is working on one of the speakers. This is not ideal, but not considered it would have a massive effect on the overall sound. He could have taken the amp module away for sending back to Linn there and then, but I wanted to listen first for a couple weeks. My feeling was that the slight effect on sound would affect the Tundra and Twin systems equally. The amp is going back to Linn later today.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Flatcoat wrote:I had a chance to listen to Anthony's system - dynamik Solos driving 350ps. My conclusion was that my active Tundra system was in a totally different league !
And I who thought that Anthony's system sounded fantastic...
I need to hear yours!
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

An update:

The 350 bass amp has come back from Linn after repair and Anthony has set the system up again. Before, I was using the Tundra power leads with the Twins and also had left the active settings the same. So this time the Twins are all totally 'optimised'. My conclusion is that if anything the Twin system was marginally better and definitely not an inferior system which is what I thought before. In addition, the aesthetics of my main system is very important to me and it does look so much better with 8 Klimax units all in silver, compared to the Tundra system which was 4 silver Klimax units and 4 black Tundras.

I am keeping two of the Tundras, one to drive my 109s in the kitchen and one connected to 212s in the office. My conclusion is that the Tundra performs better than the KCTD driving the 212s.

This does mean that I have one Tundra to sell so will be advertising it shortly in the For Sale section.
Flatcoat wrote: I should also say that when the active 350s were setup by Anthony, he found that one of the bass power amps was not working, so only one of the bass drivers is working on one of the speakers. This is not ideal, but not considered it would have a massive effect on the overall sound. He could have taken the amp module away for sending back to Linn there and then, but I wanted to listen first for a couple weeks. My feeling was that the slight effect on sound would affect the Tundra and Twin systems equally. The amp is going back to Linn later today.
mrco99 wrote: