Internal phono amp??

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Internal phono amp??

Post by SaltyDog »

Is there any chance of seeing a Lejonklou for MM that would go inside the LP12 like the Urika?

When I get back into vinyl I want to have just the LP12 and the speakers in the listening room. The rest in the basement so I'm looking for minimal cables to TT. I also do not want the expense of MC setups as I will still be using the KDS most of the time.

As simple as possible but not simpler, as a wise man once was quoted.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

The Urika needs a Radikal PSU to run and the standard Radikal cable is not very long. But maybe a Radikal style Slipsik could have a longer one that would meet your requirements.

Also, the existing Lejonklou case is much smaller than even a Klimax case and not obtrusive IMO:

SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Oh well.

Vinyl is such a commitment!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

SaltyDog wrote:Oh well.

Vinyl is such a commitment!
Stop moaning and get on with it :O)

Stick a nicely framed picture of you and the Mrs in front of the Slipsik - that'll cover it ;o)
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

SWMBO..........really?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

How about this then...
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2016-10-14 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie already pointed out that an internal phono stage will need to be powered, but there's most likely a way to solve that.

The issue I see is that it's probably a limited product in terms of sales, as it needs to be installed by an LP12 technician and becomes difficult to demo and even more difficult to compare with other phono stages.

Unless it's a very expensive top of the line product, I doubt it would be successful.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Thanks for the info.

Any idea how long the power and audio cables can be without becoming an issue?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I don't know about the power cable, it would probably require some experimentation. Unbalanced interconnects can be quite long, I have installed close to 10 m and it sounded good (admittedly I didn't make a comparison with a short one). Balanced can be even longer.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

The cables I'm talking about are the ones from the TT. Sorry I don't know much about how these all work. My LP12 is about the only mechanical thing I've never messed about with.

Right Channel, Left Channel and ground. How long can these be? How do they attach inside the TT? Are they regular unbalanced cables? Do these go to a plug that plugs into the base of the Akito2?

Also the cable to the Lingo2. How long can these be?

If they can be long enough to get from the wall shelf down to the basement then your best phono and an Adikt may be enough to get me spinning again.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The cable that plugs into the tonearm (L, R and Ground) should be relatively short. Linn standard length is 1.1 meter and 1.7 meter is available. Remember this includes the roughly 12" inside the LP12. It would not be a good idea to go longer than this. You are dealing with a quite small signal and it is best to keep this cable as short as possible. This is one of the main advantages of the Urika as the cable is now only about 6" from the arm to the phono stage. Once in the phono stage the signal is brought up to line level so the cables from it to the preamp can be quite long without problem. The cables from the Urika to the preamp can be balanced or unbalanced so that is what Fredrik's comments were referring to. These same ideas could relate to an internal Lejonklou phono stage if he made one. But then you would still have the problem of needing four cables going out of the LP12: L & R signal, power to the motor and power to the phono stage.

I would think the most sensible idea in your case would be to get a Slipsik 5.1 and arrange the shelving so you can hide it behind the LP12 (sorry, Fredrik). It is quite small, the arm cable would run to it and you could run L & R cables from it to the preamp downstairs. Then the question is the Lingo. I would guess that you could run a longer cable from it to the LP12 but I have never heard of Linn making one. So this would have to be something custom made and I don't imagine finding the right cable and connectors, and someone with the skill and inclination to build it, will be an easy task. Linn does say that you can run a longer cable to the Radikal motor, even saying that using an extension cable for it would be fine (I haven't tried it so can't comment on the musical performance). This would be much easier to source but certainly not inexpensive considering the price of the Radikal at $4250 (or $7000 in a Klimax box). Well worth it musically, however.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Not sure what spec LP12 Salty has, but if he doesn't already have a Lingo, then there is always the internal Majik PSU and plug straight into the wall socket. Unless he has a Valhalla which is still OK.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It seems Salty is suggesting above that he has a Lingo 2. I have never made the cable between Lingo and LP12 longer, so I don't know how it will affect performance.

Although I suspect that a longer cable from Radikal to LP12 will not sound quite as good as the original length, the upgrade will probably still be massive from the Lingo 2.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Salty, if it's too tricky to connect, then what about a small second system somewhere else in the house? Maybe an old shape Majik Classik (to match the Lingo) and pair of Katans.
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Charlie, I have considered setting up my Keltik system 4 x klouts, karin in the basement or at the office. The basement "ceiling" height is only 6 ft. with open joists. A classic LK system has some appeal.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking of leaving the old LP12 as is except the MC being changed to MM whenever the current one needs replaced. Then if I get back into it and the money shows up get all the upgrades and have them assembled into a new TT. All the upgrades + a circus and outer platter results in new TT.

Time and money............the rest is easy!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re:

Post by Charlie1 »

How about this then...