Lejonklou Tundra

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:The only update that I can give you, Mike, is that Tundra won't be released before Christmas. It will most likely take another month.
Thats mean no Christmas present for me gonna call Santa not to come home this year=)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,

is the maximum output power of the TUNDRA approximately on par with the AKURATE 2200 ?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Matthias!

Tundra has a lower maximum power than Linn Akurate 2200. That's maximum power without any sound quality considerations.

So if you're in a situation where an Akurate 2200 clips the signal or shuts down when used with a particular speaker+room combination, you can safely assume that Tundra won't be powerful enough for your needs.

If your concern is that sound quality degrades when playing loud with 2200 or any other amp, the situation is different and you definitely need to try a Tundra. One of the unique features of Tundra is that its sound quality just gets better and better the louder you play. Until you reach its limits, where it will rather abruptly tell you that you need to lower the volume a click or two.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I've been meaning to tell you more about Tundra for quite some time now, so it was good of you to remind me with that question of yours, Matthias. There are a couple of stories behind it that I feel are worth sharing. The first one is how Tundra came to be the way it is; a high quality amplifier with moderate power.

After having tried some different designs, I settled for the current circuit a year ago. Back then it was a tiny amp that could be housed in a Kikkin enclosure and the name of the project was 'Fling'. Once again, it was my wife who came up with the name. When I gave her what must have been a puzzled look, she explained that she felt this tiny amp was "irresistable fun, but nothing I'd marry".

Fling could deliver around ten watts of power, but despite that low figure it had something very powerful and convincing in its character. Those who heard it all thought it was some beefy amp that was driving the speakers. It wasn't until you really pushed it that you realised that it wasn't particularly beefy.

I could have released Fling in spring 2011, but I ran into a problem. Variations in quality turned out to be big. In other words: The second prototype I made sounded different from the first, even though it was made the same way. And when I studied the phenomenon more carefully, I realised that the circuit was indeed terribly sensitive. Not just to the fine nuances of the music it amplified, but also to all component variations.

After a while of thinking and experimenting without really getting anywhere, I decided to make a more powerful Fling and just see how far I could push the quality, without any practical considerations on how it could ever be manufactured. I bought piles of components and manually measured and selected them in ridiculously small variations. I used twin switch mode power supplies that isolated it much better from variations in the mains power. And I just tuned the little monster in any way that I could think of; currents, voltages, temperatures, layout, cabling, directions, torques, mechanical issues and damping. The experiment was named Tundra (once again my wife named it). After a couple of months, it had become so good I could hardly believe it. I asked a friend to give it a listen.

His immediate response after listening to it was "Fantastic! I want one!". But in my limited way of thinking, this was not an amp that could be manufactured and sold. It was an extreme experiment, which could later result in something simpler and possible to manufacture. Of the amplifier engineers I've had the pleasure to meet, most have had a personal monster amp at home. One that never went to production because it wasn't considered practical. But my friend wasn't impressed with the idea of a simpler version. He wanted Tundra just the way it was. At first, I automatically rejected the idea because it seemed impossible. But I soon began wondering whether the idea of "impossible" was only in my mind. And after a period of serious consideration, I decided to go for it.

So the last month has been spent on sourcing and selecting components in test rigs built for the purpose. I decided to do this myself and ship perfectly matched components directly to the circuit board manufacturer, to avoid any potential mistakes. Right now an assembly manual is being written, the longest and most detailed I've ever made. In January I will make sure it's being followed to the letter. There are only two parameters that I haven't been able to include in any practical way. These I will take care of myself with a final step of individual tuning of every Tundra, when it arrives from the assembler.

Although I didn't manage to bring Tundra to the market before Christmas, I hope you will feel it's been worth the wait when it finally is, in February 2012. It plays music in such a convicing and emotional way, unlike anything I've heard before in my life.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

lejonklou wrote:One of the unique features of Tundra is that its sound quality just gets better and better the louder you play.
A real party amp! Poor neighbors. "I'm sorry, but I have to play this loud due to the design of my amplifier." :-D
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Wonderful story Fredrik! Though I probably won't buy one (would need at least three of them and a tunebox for my Keltiks) I can't wait to hear it!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

lejonklou wrote: One of the unique features of Tundra is that its sound quality just gets better and better the louder you play.
Is it more musical on higher volume levels??
It's all about musical understanding!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

Sounds very promising! You know, the existence of this amp is one of my reasons for deciding that my next speakers will be passive...

:)
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Nice story Fredrik. Looking forward to hearing it.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Broccoli wrote:A real party amp! Poor neighbors. "I'm sorry, but I have to play this loud due to the design of my amplifier." :-D
If your neighbours have any follow up questions, just give them my phone number. ;)

Seriously, I think many of us know how easy it becomes to turn the volume up when it sounds really good. When there's very little distortion, it seems we don't take notice of how loud it is. Until someone tries to speak and has to SHOUT be heard.
Music Lover wrote:Is it more musical on higher volume levels??
I don't think so. But it doesn't behave like other power amps.

I find that all other power amps sound gradually more compressed and less dynamic when you increase the volume. With Tundra, there is an element of ease in the transients, a willingness to attack, both on micro and macro level, that just remains unaffected when you play louder. Hard to explain, but I find myself constantly turning the volume up and just letting the music wash over me. It's not the same kind of loud, it's better.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

rowlandhills wrote:You know, the existence of this amp is one of my reasons for deciding that my next speakers will be passive...
Cool!

You can of course always use Tundra with a stand alone active filter, between the preamp and the poweramps.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote:I find that all other power amps sound gradually more compressed and less dynamic when you increase the volume. With Tundra, there is an element of ease in the transients, a willingness to attack, both on micro and macro level, that just remains unaffected when you play louder. Hard to explain, but I find myself constantly turning the volume up and just letting the music wash over me. It's not the same kind of loud, it's better.
Fredrik,

I love the behavior of this amplifier when you increase the volume. It is very nice to let the music wash over and the diametric opposite to "dollhouse high fidelity".
Which loudspeaker played the key role in the development of the Tundra?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote:...the diametric opposite to "dollhouse high fidelity".
Never heard that expression before, but I think I know what you mean!
matthias wrote:Which loudspeaker played the key role in the development of the Tundra?
Different models of speakers were used, big and small. In the living room at home I have 109's and a lot of relaxed "ok, what did I accomplish today" listening took place there. The 109's are good enough to make any difference in the amplifier - no matter how tiny - easy to distinguish. Great little speaker!
minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:
matthias wrote:Which loudspeaker played the key role in the development of the Tundra?
Different models of speakers were used, big and small. In the living room at home I have 109's and a lot of relaxed "ok, what did I accomplish today" listening took place there. The 109's are good enough to make any difference in the amplifier - no matter how tiny - easy to distinguish. Great little speaker!
It's going to be so intressting to hear if it sounds as good or better then Klimax Solo amps if so i'm buying one for sure.

Mike
9designs

Post by 9designs »

rowlandhills wrote:Sounds very promising! You know, the existence of this amp is one of my reasons for deciding that my next speakers will be passive...

:)
Done much the same myself, got tired of the idea of 5 way speakers and huge costs and amps to even consider active, that have difficult passive crossovers that shut people's amps down !!!

This Tundra sounds very interesting, perhaps it's best I don't put a Dynamik in my KCT yet.....if this is going to beat it...... Selling a KCT and buying a Tundra would work out cheaper !!!!! Hopefully will match my PMC FACT8 well.
Linnie

Post by Linnie »

lejonklou wrote:
Hi Frederik

Do you think they will be able to drive a pair of 242's MK2 ?
Which other speakers did you use for this ?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Linnie!

Yes, of course Tundra can drive 242's. It's a great combination!

It's been tested with a number of speakers from 109 up to Komri. So far it's driven everything with such finesse, precision and SLAM! that jaws have dropped on the few who've heard it. And on me too.

As soon as I get a minute over, I'll tell you about the technology behind it.
Linnie

Post by Linnie »

lejonklou wrote:Hi Linnie!

Yes, of course Tundra can drive 242's. It's a great combination!

It's been tested with a number of speakers from 109 up to Komri. So far it's driven everything with such finesse, precision and SLAM! that jaws have dropped on the few who've heard it. And on me too.

As soon as I get a minute over, I'll tell you about the technology behind it.
iam very interested , I did put my Akurate 4200 for sale , just before I have been reading about the Tundra to upgrade to a klimax Twin. But this is a serious option to.
But since I found no dealer in The netherlands , how does sales go ?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linnie wrote:But since I found no dealer in The netherlands , how does sales go ?
I recently contacted two retailers in the Netherlands that were recommended to me. If you have a favourite retailer, one with skill and passion, please send me an email or a pm. I'd be happy to visit your country, it's been too many years since last time.
9designs

Post by 9designs »

Hi,
How will they be sold in the UK ?

Happy music new year to all....

9d
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Happy New Year to everybody ! ! !
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

9designs wrote:How will they be sold in the UK ?
First of all, I will visit my current retailers What You See and Hear, Cymbiosis and Hidden Systems and play it to them.

Interesting you've got a pair of PMC FACT8. Read about them but haven't seen or heard them yet.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

lejonklou wrote:First of all, I will visit my current retailers What You See and Hear, Cymbiosis and Hidden Systems and play it to them.
Excellent - I shall await Colin Macey's (trusted) opinion!

Mick
minge

Post by minge »

Wolfie wrote:
lejonklou wrote:First of all, I will visit my current retailers What You See and Hear, Cymbiosis and Hidden Systems and play it to them.
Excellent - I shall await Colin Macey's (trusted) opinion!

Mick
Is there any exact date when Tundra is gonna be released?

Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

minge wrote:Is there any exact date when Tundra is gonna be released?
No, no exact day has been set. Tundra is being tested for EMC (electromagnetic compatibility), which I expect will go well.

In the meantime, I'm checking alternative companies to do the painting of the enclosures. The current finish is ok, but not perfect. The problem is that getting a finish in the same quality that's used on cars is very expensive. I want that kind of finish, without adding hundreds of € to the final price. Tricky.