Lejonklou Tundra

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

minge

Post by minge »

lejonklou wrote:
minge wrote:Is there any exact date when Tundra is gonna be released?
No, no exact day has been set. Tundra is being tested for EMC (electromagnetic compatibility), which I expect will go well.

In the meantime, I'm checking alternative companies to do the painting of the enclosures. The current finish is ok, but not perfect. The problem is that getting a finish in the same quality that's used on cars is very expensive. I want that kind of finish, without adding hundreds of € to the final price. Tricky.
Is there any pictures of Tundra loved to se one?
Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ocoro02

Post by ocoro02 »

That rather spookily matches my Renew DS. It's a 2 eyed version!
rowlandhills
Very active member
Very active member

Post by rowlandhills »

ocoro02 wrote:That rather spookily matches my Renew DS. It's a 2 eyed version!
Indeed. I don't suppose that it's the same width as a Renew, is it? Would look great to have a rack with Renew, (the new preamp which you've not announced yet... :-) ) and a Tundra, all in simple, black enclosures.
KRDSM, Tundra to 242s
Silvers, K400, Hutter rack
minge

Post by minge »

ocoro02 wrote:That rather spookily matches my Renew DS. It's a 2 eyed version!
Thanks looks very nice can't wait to hear it.

Mike
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

lejonklou wrote:Image
Very cool look indeed! Looking forward to hear one! ... and a complementing pre :-)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:Image
Attractive looking power amplifier, congratulations! What are the power ratings for 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers?
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hard to see the finish that well in the photo. Reminds me a little of old Exposure power amps, without a power switch, which is a compliment as I always liked their simplicity. I'm sure the Logo will help finish it off.

Think I would have preferred one LED, but who cares if it sounds as good as we hope.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

rowlandhills wrote:I don't suppose that it's the same width as a Renew, is it?
How wide is the Rds?

/Az
Last edited by Azazello on 2012-01-05 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Dimensions are approx Wide 320mm x Depth 275mm x Height 50mm including the feet and the phono connectors on the back.

Stunning looking power amp btw, I love that industrial design without text and such. If there comes a matching wide version of the Kikkin with more inputs, maybe even a phono board then I strongly consider this.
Or maybe this is one bridge too far from your design philosophy?

Hope the Tundra sounds as good as it looks!

Another vote for a visit to the Netherlands.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

mrco99 wrote:Dimensions are approx Wide 320mm x Depth 275mm x Height 50mm including the feet and the phono connectors on the back.

Stunning looking power amp btw, I love that industrial design without text and such. If there comes a matching wide version of the Kikkin with more inputs, maybe even a phono board then I strongly consider this.
Or maybe this is one bridge too far from your design philosophy?

Hope the Tundra sounds as good as it looks!

Another vote for a visit to the Netherlands.
Do you know what the power ratings are for 8 ohm and 4 ohm speakers?
Tony Tune-age
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Sorry Tony, these are the dimensions of the Renew DS, not the Tundra.
Don´t know anymore than you...;-)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

mrco99 wrote:Sorry Tony, these are the dimensions of the Renew DS, not the Tundra.
Don´t know anymore than you...;-)
Thank you, I was just curious about the type of speakers these amplifiers would be geared towards.
Tony Tune-age
ocoro02

Post by ocoro02 »

Tundra looks a wee bit bigger I'd say.
Linnie

Post by Linnie »

What about a picture of the back ?

And an other vote for the Netherlands
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Two LEDs? It must be stereo!

:-)
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Fredrik,

Can you already give us some dimensions of the Tundra?
Some more pictures would be great as well, but maybe you don´t want
to spill to much of the beans...

If you have time to tell us some more about the technology and design decisions, we are very interested! Off course the final treat will be the listening, but I know for that we just have to wait.

So maybe in the meantime some crumbs to keep us busy chewing on?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tundra is 350 mm wide and 350 mm deep. Front plate is 61 mm high. Total height will depend on the feet, which are currently being evaluated (by ear, not by eye).

It's a stereo amp and it's geared towards all HiFi loudspeakers.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:Tundra is 350 mm wide and 350 mm deep. Front plate is 61 mm high. Total height will depend on the feet, which are currently being evaluated (by ear, not by eye).

It's a stereo amp and it's geared towards all HiFi loudspeakers.
Thanks for the information Lejonklou. What are the power ratings into an eight ohm load and into a four ohm load?
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I assume that what you want to know is how loud you can play with a particular loudspeaker in a particular room. The only way to find out is to try it and see if you think it's loud enough. And more importantly, how good it sounds at the level you want to play.

Power figures are, in my opinion, pointless. We no longer judge loudspeakers by numbers, it's time we do the same with amplifiers.

EDIT: I hope this isn't taken as a rant. When I was a kid, there used to be a yearly book published with all the numbers about loudspeakers. I read it excessively and marked the models of interest. Naturally, they had a high wattage rating and a frequency range approaching 20 to 20 000 Hz. The ones I later had the opportunity to hear, usually Japanese as they focused on the best possible numbers, were terrible. Luckily, we no longer judge speakers by numbers, but it took a couple of decades to get past that.

When it comes to power amplifiers, I borrowed an in-the-press-praised 200 watt at 8 ohms model a few years ago, only to find that it didn't sound powerful at all. As soon as the volume was increased, bass notes continued forever and lost all sense of musicality. Probably this could be perceived as "plenty of power", but my feeling was the opposite and my reaction was that I wanted to turn the volume UP, even further, due to the lack of emotion and attack. Naturally, it just got even worse.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for the information Lejonklou. I have some experience with power amplifiers, including how a good quality medium powered unit can perform better than a high powered unit.

The only intent of my question was to know the power ratings into eight ohm and four ohm speakers. Some speakers require an amplifier that has enough power to properly drive the units.
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Some speakers require an amplifier that has enough power to properly drive the units.
Yes, I agree. And the only way to find out whether the power is enough is to connect those speakers and play some music.

The figures you're asking for don't say anything. Therefore my only reply will be: Try it!

Another anectode: In the early 90's, when I was selling Linn, we received a pair of large Infinty speakers, on loan from the distributor. These were said to be a "total nightmare" to drive, very few amps in the world were able to do it. Does anyone remember what model I'm talking about? I beleive there was only one with this reputation, but I could be wrong.

The first thing I connected was an Aura amp. It was a tiny amp with tiny specifications. Naturally, it worked just fine. In the demonstration room I could play about as loud as my ears could take. Other amps were tried: The small Creek at 30-ish watts - sounded fine. The original Naim Nait - which I believe Naim never released any power figures for, but was later measured to around 17 watts - sounded magnificent when driving the nightmare speakers.

Conclusion: The "terrible load" was a problem in theory. In practice for a well designed amp, it was no problem at all.

So why the rumour? Well, for one thing, it made the speakers famous.
"Ooh, you got a pair of those? How do you drive them?"
And it certainly helped to boost sales of the beefy amps they were always demonstrated with.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Preamp for Tundra

Post by matthias »

To maximise the quality of music reproduction the preamp has a higher order of importance than the poweramp.

Because of the high quality of Tundra it seems difficult to find a suitable preamp for Tundra.

Fredrik,

can you recommend preamps(KK ?) for Tundra or can we exspect a matching Lejonklou preamp this year ?

KR
matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

There will be a preamp to match Tundra. It's impossible to say when it will be ready, because I work until I'm completely happy with the product.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Fredrik,

That's a great perspective. Will it be a Kinki, Kikkin with multiple inputs and headphone amp combined? That would make an awesome combination. May i also suggest a name already?
Hattrik.

Cheers,

Marco