Lejonklou Tundra

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Considering all the craziness over on the Linn forum, again (sigh), I had to write another post there. It occurred to me that one part of it fit here as well so here it is:

I have to say I am finding all this controversy about the Tundra quite familiar. It seems to me it was about 1984. A company that only made mechanical devices (turntables, arms, cartridges and speakers) suddenly came out with a preamp and power amp - the LK1 and LK2. All of a sudden there was war! Some said that they were better than the substantially more expensive products of a premier electronics company with a decade of experience (interestingly Colin, Anthony and I were all among that group). Others said they were crazy, the 32/Hi-Cap/135s were definitely better. And after all how could a company with no experience in electronics design a less expensive product that outperformed the best amps in the world? Sounding familiar anybody?
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Looking from a different perspectice, maybe Colin did you a favour.
I am sure you have gotten quite some attention now on the Linn forum.
If an amp is able to create such a stir amongst devotees and criticasters, it would certainly invite me even more to have a listen myself.

This storm will pass - Tundra remains.
minge

Post by minge »

mrco99 wrote:Looking from a different perspectice, maybe Colin did you a favour.
If an amp is able to create such a stir amongst devotees and criticasters, it would certainly invite me even more to have a listen myself.

So Fredrik how does the progress go with Mono Tundra?

Mike
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

minge wrote:
mrco99 wrote:Looking from a different perspectice, maybe Colin did you a favour.

So Fredrik how does the progress go with Mono Tundra?

Mike
Perhaps you could call them the Silos - so anyone who says they like them on the Linn forum can hide in them when the inevitable flak starts!
tmilligan

Post by tmilligan »

How about calling it a Onedra?!
ADSM, Rega P3-24, 4200/D, aktiv Katans
MDS-I/D, 4100/D, aktiv Katans
Kiko
Sekrit DSM, 5110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

tmilligan wrote:How about calling it a Onedra?!
I believe Fredrik already has a name in mind.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

My suggestion wasTaiga, but Fredrik has already dismissed it :(
SaltyDog
Very active member
Very active member

Post by SaltyDog »

Any publicity is good publicity - they say.

Frederik your values will bring long term success.

The 240V on the KK makes a massive difference. My ATCs are 240V only so I am in the same boat as Thomas as far as an at home demo goes. I do like my boat though.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Another similar quote: "I don't care what they say about me, as long as they spell my name right." Seems particularly applicable here. ;-)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Well, plenty been happening the past few days. Whilst it is tempting to comment on various points, it seems a bit late in the day now.
SaltyDog wrote:Fredrik your values will bring long term success.
Yes, I think so, and I would add 'anthony' too. Both are now friends and I believe this is largely because they are not salesmen first and foremost, but hi-fi and music enthusiasts. We all need to make a living, but there are ways and means. I know ethics don't mean a lot to everyone, but they are important to many. And whilst I am by no means perfect myself, I at least try to be better.
tmilligan

Post by tmilligan »

I knew they'd look good together.... :)

Kiko
Sekrit DSM, 5110s
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

tmilligan wrote:I knew they'd look good together.... :)

Agree, nice. Where did the KDS go?
/Daniel

LP12SE
tmilligan

Post by tmilligan »

Daniel wrote:

It's in the cupboard next to it.... Cowering in case the renew wins the fight to stay in the main system!!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

tmilligan wrote:
Daniel wrote:

It's in the cupboard next to it.... Cowering in case the renew wins the fight to stay in the main system!!
Winning by looks:)?
Otherwise it shouldn't win, it is good but not that good or good looking:)
/Daniel

LP12SE
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

ThomasOK wrote:And after all how could a company with no experience in electronics design a less expensive product that outperformed the best amps in the world? Sounding familiar anybody?
Lovely!!!
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
j22928

Tundra and Misobariks

Post by j22928 »

Has anyone heard how the Tundra works with the Misobariks??
Jim
Per A

Re: Tundra and Misobariks

Post by Per A »

j22928 wrote:Has anyone heard how the Tundra works with the Misobariks??
It shouldn't be too different from Majik 140, should it? And that was splendid.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I was able to listen briefly to the Tundra through MIsos and I was quite happy with the musical quality. They were only set up for a couple of hours as someone else needed the room at the store for a different demo and removed the MIsos so I wasn't able to really crank them up and see how the Tundra handled them at high levels. I hope to be able to listen to the combo again in the next couple of weeks and will report back when I do.
Hans Alexander

T vs Aktiv Linn

Post by Hans Alexander »

Anyone dares to speculate or even better, have compared, How T performs in comparison to Aktiv setup.

Also,
Would it be reasonable to assume the same result irrespectively of speaker? I.e. if the T in passive with M109 would outperform 6100 and M109 Aktiv - should one expect the same for 2*5100 and 242? Somewhere in here it might be relevant to further complicate by introducing bi-amp as a discussion subject
tmilligan

Re: T vs Aktiv Linn

Post by tmilligan »

Hans Alexander wrote:Anyone dares to speculate or even better, have compared, How T performs in comparison to Aktiv setup.

Also,
Would it be reasonable to assume the same result irrespectively of speaker? I.e. if the T in passive with M109 would outperform 6100 and M109 Aktiv - should one expect the same for 2*5100 and 242? Somewhere in here it might be relevant to further complicate by introducing bi-amp as a discussion subject
I am in the fortunate situation of being able to compare katans being driven passively and single wired by a tundra, and actively with a 4200/d. For most listening, the tundra is the comfortable winner. Speed, detail and timing are way better.

The one area in which the aktiv set up wins, and I only realised this a couple of evenings ago, is when listening at very low volumes. The active set up is engaging even when quiet whereas I felt the tundra was a little thin and lifeless (this was really very low volume though, under 45 on the KDS, and remember the tundra is 8 clicks quieter anyway).

Since very little of my listening is done at this level (I tend to use my stax 'earspeakers') it doesn't bother me.
Kiko
Sekrit DSM, 5110s
Per A

Post by Per A »

Pity Linn stopped making separate aktiv filters. I don't understand if Tuneboxes can be ordered for any Linn speaker or if that is only in Klimax shells?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:
PS. Music Lover, I would love to hear more about the "latest" Harmonihyllan rack. Are we talking the Mimer 3.1 with the Spruce lower shelf as Fredrik has described or is there some further development I should be aware of. Despite being a sales agent in the US for them I don't get the news here unless I go to the website and google translate the news Anders has published. And even that is not always the latest info.
Sorry for the late feedback Thomas.
Yes, Mimer 3.1 was used. That is still the latest version.
I promise to send a PM when Anders update his Mimer.

In case you don't have this info...
Hope to have time visiting him in the fall, listen to his speakers and NAS rack.
A friend I trust heard the speaker with Tundra and he was impressed.
Same character as Tundra, full focus on the music.
Personally I always liked the fast agile and direct Kan mkI/mkII type of sound and based on the first reports, I think Anders is on something here!!
It's all about musical understanding!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: T vs Aktiv Linn

Post by Music Lover »

Hans Alexander wrote:Would it be reasonable to assume the same result irrespectively of speaker?
In a passive setup, very likely YES. A better amp is a better amp regardless of speakers. Source first. (very likely as I haven't tried all combinations but during my 25+ Linn years that have been the case every time)

In an active setup, the installation is KEY. Likely most active installations are not good enough due to the complexity. Also the filter adjustments steps are too big in modern Linn active cards making the adjustments more or less redundant. What a wasted opportunity!!
Personally I prefer the "active sound" but have used passive setups during the latest years.
Better to have a well installed passive system than a not perfectly setup active setup.

But I have big hopes for the future when we can get a good digital filter what you can adjust in SMALL steps.
Imagine that you can program the filter for different speakers, wow!
The new Kiko has a digital filter, cant wait checking that out.
It's all about musical understanding!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Discussion about digital crossovers moved here.

/Az
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

A couple days ago I listened to an updated Tundra with KDS1/KK1 driving 109's. Absolutely brilliant, and having listened to the previous version, my impression is that the upgrade is significant. We then replaced the Tundra with current spec Solo's and that is when it got very interesting ! I thought the Solo's were 'clearer' but the Tundra was in the same class musically and just as enjoyable, which is crazy when you consider the price differential.

This is making me re-think my systems. At present I have a kitchen/office system of MDSi driving both 109's in the kitchen, and 212's via a KCT in the office. This morning I connected the KCT to the 109's and they are 'singing' - a massive improvement over using the internal amp in the MDSi which is no surprise. I am also certain that the current Tundra will out perform a KCT Dynamik on the basis of what I heard in comparison to the dynamik Solo's.

Selling my KCT and buying two Tundras (one for the kitchen, and one for the office) will cost me net, well under £1000 so it is really a 'no brainer' and is the route I am likely to follow.

Also, once I have the two Tundras, I will be able then try them in my main system - KDS1/KK1/KCTDx2/350P's. However, my main system is sited directly in front of me, and the Klimax 'boxes' are in a different league appearance wise to the Tundra.