Linn silver IC and power cables

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Linn silver IC and power cables

Post by Paaf »

I have a chance to buy a Linn Silver analogue interconnect pair 1.2m and a Linn power cable (Euro/Swedish plug) at excellent price from someone in the UK, plus postage to Sweden.

According to the seller the Silver is probably not factory soldered (but on the other hand he doesn't really know) and I read the factory soldered ones are better. Question is how much better. Would it still be much better than a Black even if not factory made?

The power cable is new directly from the factory, and a third of the price in the local shops in Sweden. I hear they vary a lot in quality. Would it still be a lot better than the standard power cable I currently use? Are the ones sold in the local shops tested to be best choice or are they just whatever Linn sends out?

Thanks for any pointers!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This is my experience:

* Musically, Linn Silvers vary from worse than good Blacks (not often, but it happens) to much better.

* The best Linn Silvers are the oldest ones with the early phono plug.

* The worst Linn Silvers are home soldered ones. These can vary a lot in performance.

* If you have several Linn Silvers, it can be very worthwhile comparing them one by one to sort out the best performing ones (connect one channel only from source to preamp to power amp, then compare each Silver between source and preamp). Then use the best two Silvers on your most important source.

* Never buy any Linn Silvers without first seeing a picture of it. Reason: A lot of the home soldered ones have non-standard parts.

EDIT: Added a few words in an attempt to make sense
Last edited by lejonklou on 2012-03-15 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linn silver IC and power cables

Post by lejonklou »

Paaf wrote:The power cable is new directly from the factory, and a third of the price in the local shops in Sweden. I hear they vary a lot in quality. Would it still be a lot better than the standard power cable I currently use? Are the ones sold in the local shops tested to be best choice or are they just whatever Linn sends out?
Linn have supplied many different brands and models through the years, using what they currently find best. In general, the later ones sound a lot better than the ones from the past.

Currently, the European power cable supplied is from Longwell. Before that, there were different models from Volex. If the one you've been offered is any of those, I think you should buy it.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

OK, I will ask seller to send me a photo of the opened up Silver, but he might not like it since he's selling it cheap just for me (£100).

I doubt he'd be interested in selling just a power cable. It was kind of a bonus deal.

Thanks!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Not sure anything needs to be opened up. At least if your intention is to check whether the parts are original. That's quite easy to spot.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

He's a reeaally patient guy, and sent me these photos. I do not know what to look for though, any opinions?

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Original parts, later type of connector, home or shop soldered.

Could sound fine and be well worth the money. There is no way to know for certain until you listen to it.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Seller also sent me a photo of the power cable. Isn't he the greatest? :)

So final question, is this the "proper" Linn power cable?

(edited for clarity)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It does look like the latest version they supply in Europe; a Longwell.