LP12

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

minge

LP12

Post by minge »

Thinking if getting my first Linn LP12 player is a Majik LP12 with Lingo 2 a good start?

Minge
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: LP12

Post by anthony »

minge wrote:Thinking if getting my first Linn LP12 player is a Majik LP12 with Lingo 2 a good start?

Minge
Majik is excellent, think I would bypass Lingo2 and wait to get a Radikal unless you get a "cheapy" Lingo 2
minge

Post by minge »

anthony wrote:
minge wrote:Thinking if getting my first Linn LP12 player is a Majik LP12 with Lingo 2 a good start?

Minge
Majik is excellent, think I would bypass Lingo2 and wait to get a Radikal unless you get a "cheapy" Lingo 2[/quote

Is the gap between Lingo 2 and Radikal big.

Minge
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

minge wrote:
anthony wrote:

Minge
Majik is excellent, think I would bypass Lingo2 and wait to get a Radikal unless you get a "cheapy" Lingo 2[/quote

Is the gap between Lingo 2 and Radikal big.
There is a significant performance difference between any version of the Lingo and the Radikal. However, there is also a huge price difference between the components as well. But, based on price vs. performance the Lingo is competitive in it's price range - especially if it's purchased second hand. The Radikal performance is related to cost as well, and no other turntable power supply sounds as good as the Radikal regardless of price.
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Agree with Tony and Anthony. There is an old Radikal thread if you want to dig it out and read peoples upgrade experiences - most will have gone from Lingo2 to Radikal.
minge

Post by minge »

Charlie1 wrote:Agree with Tony and Anthony. There is an old Radikal thread if you want to dig it out and read peoples upgrade experiences - most will have gone from Lingo2 to Radikal.
Whats next after buying Radikal is it keel and Ekos SE?

Minge
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Standard advice would be Keel, although you could argue the support for the Radikal comes before that. Following Source First theory then the Radikal support strikes me as the next logical step. Normally the support is less important than the source as a whole, but of course the LP12 is not just one whole and we're able to acutally upgrade elements that make up the source.

Therefore, we can impact the support for the motor controller BEFORE upgrading other elements of the source, such as subchassis. So, if the Radikal is more important than the Keel, and the Radikal support impacts its performance then I suspect the Radikal support comes before the Keel.

Come to think of it, maybe the LP12 support itself is more important than the Radikal. 'IF' for example, let's say the main bearing is top of the tree, then the LP12 support will influence its operation and therefore be more fundamental than Radikal. Mmmm. Bit too much theory going on for a Sunday night. Normally, everything is in one box (like a pre-amp) and it comes first before its support. LP12 is differnet cos you can upgrade bits within the whole, but I just don't know if the support for 'bit' A is more important than moving on and upgrading 'bit' B.

But that's my thinking anyway and certainly not tested. Would be interesting what other members think....of:

1.Main Bearing
2.LP12 support (due to its impact upon main bearing performance)
3.Motor Controller
4.Motor Controller support (due to its impact upon its performace)
5.Keel
4.Arm
5.Cart
6.Phono stage
rock&roll

Post by rock&roll »

From Majik LP12 I would upgrade to Trampolin 2 or buy Trampolin to replace solid board that comes with MLP12 on start. Then save to Radikal MCU, then replace the arm (as it's not possible to use Akito or Project with Keel), sub-chassis to Keel and the cartridge at last. But I could live happily with an Adikt.
R&R
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Replacing the plinth (made by Chris) could be done prior to the Keel, perhaps at the same time as installing the Trampolin II 8)
Tony Tune-age
minge

Post by minge »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Replacing the plinth (made by Chris) could be done prior to the Keel, perhaps at the same time as installing the Trampolin II 8)
But if i uppgrade my project tonearm is Ekos2 better or must i go for Ekos SE for improvment?

Minge
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ekos 2 is a great arm. Not compared to the Project but I'm sure it's much better. They are in demand though due to the huge price gap between Aktio and the SE.

One upgrade was the T-kable so try to get an Ekos 2 with one already fitted. I think on its own the T-kable is getting on for £300.

Personally, I'd only buy an arm from a Linn dealership or someone I already trust 100%
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

minge wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Replacing the plinth (made by Chris) could be done prior to the Keel, perhaps at the same time as installing the Trampolin II 8)
But if i uppgrade my project tonearm is Ekos2 better or must i go for Ekos SE for improvment?
The Ekos II tonearm is a very competent performer, and you don't need the Ekos SE immediately to enjoy a sonic upgrade. The Radikal power supply will have a much larger impact on the sound, than going from the Ekos II tonearm to the Ekos SE. In fact, going from the Majik turntable power supply to the Lingo power supply will have a larger impact also.

In other words, once you have an Ekos II installed (especially with the Linn silver tonearm cable), it's much easier to focus on power supply, plinth, Keel, Trampolin II (and possibility the Urika) before the Ekos SE tonearm. (Just my point of view)
Tony Tune-age