Ozzzy189's little linn system.

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Borrowed a pair of silvers. Wow. Even with the dodgy factory soldering, they were very good. I bought two pairs of 600mm ones off my dealer. Yes I know! Couldn't afford full ones. I paid for linn plugs, but some are different, and he told me not to go unscrewing the connections. He won't know about this place, i hope, but I've also sent these pics to a linn forums buddy too. Thoughts?

They're still better by a fair margin.

On another note, I built two helmholtz generators today. After a linn klub visit at the weekend, when my pals fetched a couple with them and some test tones, and showed excess resonance around 63 hz. Music sounds brilliant now, very clear with less room issues than before.
Happy days, (aside from the silver potential issue).

ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Ozzzy189 wrote: Thoughts?
Among the worst soldering jobs I ever seen! And the plugs are not the same on the Left and Right cable.
What a terrible dealer! A true disgrace.
How much did you pay for them?
You can find original Linn soldered cables for 200€/pair.
Or ask Fredrik for an offer on 2 pairs...
It's all about musical understanding!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

120 quid a pair. I think that's the worst one tbh.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have to say that really is a pretty bad soldering job and I have never seen anything come out of the factory looking like that. I think it is a safe bet it was a dealer soldering job by someone not well practiced at the art. My experience, and Fredriks as well last time I checked, is that the factory soldering job is actually so good that neither of us have been able to make up Linn Silvers that sound quite as good despite using the actual same Linn parts.

If the dealer sold you the two you have in the photograph as a pair he didn't do you any favors either. Those are two different generations of Linn Silver RCA plugs and they do sound different. My testing finds the older version (the one on the bottom) sounding more musical than the newer plug (upper in the photo). I certainly would never pair up two cables with the different RCAs as it will cause musical problems compared to a proper pair.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Not really sure what to do now. Do you think I should say something? They're both linn plugs aren't they though?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Having one of each is a joke. I know they don't sound hugely different, but even so. I find the newer silvers are more detailed and clinical - the older ones more tuneful and add more delicacy to the sound. I thought I might find it a close call, especially as my newer Silvers have been improved on a burn-in machine, but it was a quick and easy decision to use the older ones.

Your Ninkas look fab by the way. A very attractive looking speaker. The whole room/system looks great really. You have a knack in making a system look appealing and domestic and not like walking into Dixons (electronics store).
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Ozzzy189 wrote:120 quid a pair. I think that's the worst one tbh.
ok then it's not that much extra cash needed to get ORIGINAL Linn cables (200€)

Original Linn cables (=soldered by Linn) have a very nice soldering job. Ask the dealer to open up an original cable and you going to understand what to look for. Then you also understand how crappy your cables were made.

Personally I would ask for a compensation! I.e. trading your cables for 2 pair of his demo Linn cables. Without any money in between.
If the dealer isn't interested in some compensation, make sure Linn HQ is informed.
Then start using a serious dealer!
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

ThomasOK wrote: My testing finds the older version (the one on the bottom) sounding more musical than the newer plug (upper in the photo).
How can you visually tell them apart? To me they look the same.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

monkeydevil wrote:
ThomasOK wrote: My testing finds the older version (the one on the bottom) sounding more musical than the newer plug (upper in the photo).
How can you visually tell them apart? To me they look the same.
Yes older are NORMALLY more musical, even if you can find deviations
(very rare though).

monkeydevil, please zoom in and you'll see.
monkeydevil

Post by monkeydevil »

I tried that! Are the screws supposed to be of different sizes? Maybe it is easier to tell in real life or when you know what to look for.
Any pointers would be appreciated! :-)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If you look closely you will see that the upper RCA has slots in the shield (outer ring) whereas the lower one is solid. Seeing them in person it is quite obvious. This is one of those cases where the one I thought logically would be better (the newer, slotted one) was actually worse musically.

I definitely recommend taking them back and getting a proper matched factory pair.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2011-12-06 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

ThomasOK wrote:If you look closely you will see that the upper RCA has slots in the shield (outer ring) whereas the lower one is solid. Seeing them in person it is quite obvious. This is one of those cases where the one I thought logically would be better (the newer, solid one) was actually worse musically.

I definitely recommend taking them back and getting a proper matched factory pair.
The newer one is the with slots.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

anthony wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:If you look closely you will see that the upper RCA has slots in the shield (outer ring) whereas the lower one is solid. Seeing them in person it is quite obvious. This is one of those cases where the one I thought logically would be better (the newer, solid one) was actually worse musically.

The newer one is the with slots.
Yep, I got it right in my first post but messed it up here. (Possibly due to having to type all this on my iPhone since our Internet is down - leading me to do less proof reading on the tiny screen.)

Thanks for the correction. I have edited the original so it now reads properly.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Well, I've been away from here a while. I still have the cables and he offered me a refund. He was a bit cross with me posting here, even though I never gave any details away. I think i had every right to be cross too. I'm still using them.
Thank you for your kind words describing my system, it's really nice to see. :-)
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

No amps

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Well we're going to move house on the second of April. The bungalow we're going into is poor, but it's a large plot so I am going to build a new house in the garden.
New oz room, new amplifier, etc. I'll update as and when. :-)
Rufus McDufus

Re: No amps

Post by Rufus McDufus »

Ah, you can spec up a dedicated hi-fi mains supply then! I've recently realised the gains to be made in getting the power supply right. I have a dedicated hi-fi spur but it's not really enough imho. Briain over on the Linn forum may hopefully post some details of his solution - 4 separate radial circuits off a dedicated distribution box, with a shared dedicated earth connection. I'm looking to get my house rewired (wiring is 40 - 50 years old) and may try a similar thing. Bear it in mind as it's fairly cheap way of making a big improvement. I'm currently running source/pre-amp off a separate circuit to the power amps which is already a big improvement, better than a conditioner in my experience.

I realise I'm probably provoking a bit of a debate here!
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

I have a dedicated mains spur here, only one socket on it. From consumer unit to the socket and straight back. Is that a spur or a ring?
Anyway, yes, I'm definitely going to be doing all I can, if funds permit I'd like solar panels. Not more mucky mains for me! Lol
My room is bare, my amplifiers are going later, the rest is in boxes.
:-(
No proper music for a long time. I hope I have a few k left for a new amp, or I'll be buggered! Lol
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Now I'm missing my music and it's not even a day yet!