More wants more setup

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

More wants more

More wants more setup

Post by More wants more »

I have been reading alot on this forum, but this is my first message.

This is my setup:
Linn Akurat DS/D 1
Linn Exotic (sold)
2 x Linn 6100c
Linn Akurat 242 mk1 aktiv
Linn Silvers, K600, K400

System update 16/11/2012:
Kikkin
Slipsik
LP12/Cirkus/Radikal/D/Trampolin2/Akito1/Adikt/Silver cable
ATC SCM50ASL(Silver speaker cables made by Thom
asOK)

Update 26/04/13
Ittok LVII and T-cable from Akito3

I am in a dilemma:
For a long time i wanted 2 Solos instead of the 6100c, but i can not raise the money, at the moment.
Now i want sell to the 242 + 2 x 6100 and get the ATC SCM50 instead.

I am also looking for a new kontrol. Maybe a Kisto or a Kikkin.

Inputs are welcome;)
Last edited by More wants more on 2013-04-29 19:14, edited 8 times in total.
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: My setup

Post by anthony »

More wants more wrote:I have been reading alot on this forum, but this is my first message.

This is my setup:
Linn Akurat DS/D 1
Linn Exotic (sold)
2 x Linn 6100c
Linn Akurat 242 mk1 aktiv
Linn Silvers, K600, K400

I am in a dilemma:
For a long time i wanted 2 Solos instead of the 6100c, but i can not raise the money, at the moment.
Now i want sell the 242 + 2 x 6100 and get the ATC SCM50 instead.

I am also looking for a new kontrol. Maybe a Kisto or a Klikkin.

Inputs are welcome;)
Kisto is old technology, no further upgrades, a large amount of unused circuitry for 2 ch use.
Have you considered a new Akurate kontrol or ex dem Klimax Kontrol, both have balanced o/ps
Otherwise Kikkin is great but not massively better than an Exotik, so not sure what you would gain?
More wants more

The KK is a bit out of my league and i believe the Kisto is better than the AK.

I know the Kisto is a big ugly old beast, but they sound really nice. The plan was to get hold of one 2nd hand.

The Kikkin could be ok. Except i need the balanced output for the ATC?
LP12/Trampolin2/Cirkus/Radikal/Ittok LVIII/Adikt/Kore/Slipsik 6 prototype/KK/ATC SCM 50 ASL
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

More wants more wrote:The KK is a bit out of my league and i believe the Kisto is better than the AK.

I know the Kisto is a big ugly old beast, but they sound really nice. The plan was to get hold of one 2nd hand.

The new AK is very good, I would prfer it to a Kisto.

Yes balanced is better with ATC
More wants more

anthony wrote:
More wants more wrote:The KK is a bit out of my league and i believe the Kisto is better than the AK.

The new AK is very good, I would prfer it to a Kisto.

Yes balanced is better with ATC
Thank you Anthony.

I will see what i can get within my limited budget;)
christian

Post by christian »

Hi

I love my ATC's but despite that I would advice against changing your playback. What you have today is really great. The ATC´s are possibly better but as you have a great playback today I would not spend any money there. Better to keep saving and upgrade the source. I also like to mention that it is my experience that the ATCs are very sensitive to the installation.
Kind regards
Christian
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I can certainly see the upgrade you want to make in your speaker/amp setup. The only thing I really have to say here is that I actually prefer running my ATC 100As from the unbalanced outputs of my KK preamp. I have tried it both ways using the same cables (Linn Silver balanced wire with Silver XLRs and Silver RCAs) and find the unbalanced connection more tuneful.

I should mention that I have not done the comparison again since the preamp was updated to the KK/1/D. I believe it uses the same output circuit for the balanced outputs so I suspect the results would be the same.

Anyway, you could certainly run the ATCs off a Kikkin 2.2 although the newest AK or any KK would give you better results yet.
More wants more

Thank you for the good replies.

In my current setup, the sound is detailed, but a bit week. I was hoping to get more punch and same detailed play back. Changing into a new set of ATC SCM50A will not cost much. I got a good offer

Also i really like the old school look of the ATC, the 242 is a bit too hightech for my taste. I wish Linn would make a new klimax speaker similar to the old Isobarik.

Is it not a problem with the length of the unbalanced cable? It is not possible for me to have the kontrol unit between the speakers. it has to be on the side.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

No problem on the unbalanced cable length - I am using 4 meters per side. I have a friend using a longer set but I don't remember the length. Linn have supplied 10 meter unbalanced cables with their subwoofers for years and I've never heard of a problem with them.
More wants more

Thanks guys.

Nice to get some useful information, i appreciate it.

Next week i will demo the ATC:) also got a really good offer on a KK with the old audio board and without Dynamik power supply.

Cheers.
Mwm
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

More wants more wrote:Thanks guys.

Nice to get some useful information, i appreciate it.

Next week i will demo the ATC:) also got a really good offer on a KK with the old audio board and without Dynamik power supply.

Cheers.
Mwm
It will be interesting to hear what you think of the ATCs. On the KK I'd say go for it! A very musical preamp and you can upgrade further as your circumstances allow.
More wants more

Thanks for the good advise.

Today i have been listening to ATC SCM50ASL and a Tact pre. amp. connected to Sneaky DS, using the DAC of the Tact. This system is a very different beast compared to my own. Using Tune Dem. It sounded nice. not super revealing of the details, but minding the "weaker" source i was quite impressed...

I am thinking of changing my future setup a bit:
Renew DS
Kikkin 2.2
ATC SCM 50ASL

I would still like to have KK in the future, but i want it in black, so it has to wait.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

I agree with Christian. The weak feeling you have when playing the 242:s might be solved by changeing to ATC, but the problem is not the speakers anyway. Active 242:s are not weak, but they recreates pretty much what is feed into them. A preamp Kikkin 2.2 is preferable as a start and after that a KDS/1 would definitely be the best upgrade you can make. Anything else is a big compromise with active 242:s. I would think that you at that point would have solved the issue of the 242:s feeling weak. Things would develop even further in the desired direction if adding a KK. A K345-sub would be the icing on the cake.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

More wants more wrote:I am thinking of changing my future setup a bit:
Renew DS
Kikkin 2.2
ATC SCM 50ASL

I would still like to have KK in the future, but i want it in black, so it has to wait.
Fredrik has some Kikkin1.1s for sale, at a very reasonable price. If your heart is set on a KK, in the future, then you'd loose very little selling one of these Kikkin1s, compared to a Kikkin2.2

http://www.lejonklou.com/?news=90
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:Fredrik has some Kikkin1.1s for sale, at a very reasonable price. If your heart is set on a KK, in the future, then you'd loose very little selling one of these Kikkin1s, compared to a Kikkin2.2

http://www.lejonklou.com/?news=90
Thanks for reminding me of this. I think there's only one left, so this offer will soon expire. And I will remember to remove it from the News column.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

More wants more wrote:Thanks for the good advise.

Today i have been listening to ATC SCM50ASL and a Tact pre. amp. connected to Sneaky DS, using the DAC of the Tact. This system is a very different beast compared to my own. Using Tune Dem. It sounded nice. not super revealing of the details, but minding the "weaker" source i was quite impressed...

I am thinking of changing my future setup a bit:
Renew DS
Kikkin 2.2
ATC SCM 50ASL

Interesting system plan. Certainly a great source and playback. Obviously the KK/1/D would be better but the Kikkin 2.2 will certainly hold you for the time being.

By the way, I am selling a Black KK/1/D on Audiogon right now - although I don't know if your budget/the timing is right.
More wants more

Just sold my ADS, just waiting for the new RDS to replace it;)

I have carefully been reading your comments, Thanks.

There is another reason for changing my playback i want to get rid off the boxes and cables.

ThomasOK, your KK/1 looks really nice. I will contact if i can sort out the finances.
More wants more

Finally the day had come. Wednesday i went to Gothenburg/Sweden to pick my new system:

Renew DS/ Kikkin 2.2/ ATC SCM 50 ASL

I bought the Renew DS and ATC SCM 50 ASL of Christian from this forum, a top bloke.

The Kikkin was picked up at Tonlaget and in a very tight schedule, Anders from Tonlaget also fixed my cables, which meant that everything was set, a complete new system. Ready to take back home.

Several hours later the system was installed. So far i am very happy.

I will post as soon as i have tested some more.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sounds like a very cool and minimalistic system!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Certainly sounds like a pretty cool system to me. Very few components - lots of performance. Now if it was just an analog source...
More wants more

I am afraid you are very right. My friend that helped me Tune-dem brought his near SE spec. LP 12. The analogue (LP12) sound was involving and the joy of listening to my old records was immense. So i guess i will have to build a nice LP12. Would it be ok to start out with a Majik and just slowly upgrade?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

More wants more wrote:I am afraid you are very right. My friend that helped me Tune-dem brought his near SE spec. LP 12. The analogue (LP12) sound was involving and the joy of listening to my old records was immense. So i guess i will have to build a nice LP12. Would it be ok to start out with a Majik and just slowly upgrade?
Certainly you can. A well setup Majik LP12 performs quite nicely. I'd recommend buying a Trampolin 2 at the same time as it is relatively inexpensive ($250US) and makes a very worthwhile upgrade. If you have it installed on a new Majik LP12 the dealer might even give you decent trade in credit on the solid base the Majik comes with.

When you are able, have a Radikal put in and you will have made the biggest musical upgrade possible. After that it gets a little more tricky as the next most important upgrade is the subchassis but a Keel won't work with the Majik arm (or with an Akito either unless you are willing to give up the cueing device). A Keel only accepts an Ittok or Ekos and the only one still sold new is the $5000US Ekos SE! I have found a good alternative that gives 85-90% of the Keel's performance for $1000 less and will accept any Linn arm. This is the RubiKon which I distribute in the US but I don't know if it is available there yet.

Once you have the Radikal and subchassis squared away you can look at upgrades to the arm and cartridge if you wish to take things further. But anywhere you end up along the way you will be getting beautiful music from your records (and likely end up buying a lot of new ones too).
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Rather than a new Majik LP12, I would go for a second hand Lingo-Ekos LP12. That's probably a better starting point for about the same price. If you want a new turntable, buy a new "plain" LP12 and add a 2:nd hand Lingo1 an Ekos2, or Akito2.
More wants more

As i understand it Majik is very good value for the money. Buying a secondhand i wouldn´t know what to look for and could be ending up with a pig in a poke.

Thank´s for directions on the Keel Vs Rubikon and Trampolin 2. The plan was to stick with the Adikt and keep it MM.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe the Majik LP12 would be a good starting point and if you get it from Anders (Tonlaget Gothenburg) you will get a proper setup of the deck. Another option is of course to get a second hand TT but if you don't know what to look for it could be better to go for the Majik or get a second hand TT from a dealer.