Where to next?

Share your journey!

Moderator: Staff

ncs12

Where to next?

Post by ncs12 »

Hello.

I currently have an LP 12 (Ekos SE, Kandid. Klimax Radikal 1, Urika II).

I run this via a KDSM (Utopik/Organic) into a Boazu 1.1.

I would like to know your thoughts on next steps.

I am considering the Radikal 2 upgrade, but also mulling over superkikkin and Tundra stereo vs the Boazu 2.

The single box solution appeals. I have heard but not demoed the Tundra with a Sagatun and was very impressed, I'm just not sure if it is worth waiting for the Boazu 2 to land.

Fredrik kindly shared his thoughts on the potential of an upgrade beyond 1.3 for the current Boazu so that is an option to consider, though less concrete.

I'm leaning towards the R2 upgrade and waiting for the Boazu 2, but hoped folks might comment.

Chris
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Where to next?

Post by David Neel »

Hmm... I think you can't go wrong with the R2 upgrade - I have a similar LP12 - but outside of that are many options!

I'm struck by your Urika II and KDSM combo in between the LP12 and Boazu. I've listened to several KDS/Ms including the NG version, and heard Boazu in both 1.1 and 1.3 forms, I wonder whether you would benefit from thinking even wider... How much do you listen to vinyl vs streaming? What are your speakers? Cables?

My own path has seen me replace ADS/3 with Kalla. I listened to NGKDSM since without any desire to acquire one. I also replaced Urika I with Entity. Depending on your priorities, this direction may be worth considering... and might even be cost-neutral? I'd be happy to share my experience of this, and of Lejonklou pre/power amps - feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
ncs12

Post by ncs12 »

Thanks David.

I do most of my listening on vinyl, but do have an extensive ripped CD collection stored on a NAS.

I'm not a streamer as such.

Cabling is Linn Silvers in the system and I have some MCRU bespoke speaker cables to my Kudos Super 10s.

Chris
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

If you're not enjoying vinyl as much as you once did then definitely question the Urika II approach and consider Entity/Tramp 2.

If you are enjoying your system very much then Radikal 2 upgrade makes most sense to me.
ncs12

Post by ncs12 »

Thanks Charlie

I'm enjoying the vinyl very much.

I think it'll be R2 next.

Chris
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Another vote for the Radikal 2, as it not only improves your LP12, but also the Urika 2. From there on it gets trickier, you'll probably have to swap a lot of components...
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Radikal 2. Major upgrade over the R1 and improved power supply to Urika as mentioned earlier by Tendaberry.
kampak

Post by kampak »

Really? I thought that should be done by the Utopik for Radikal which is not on the market yet?
Radikal 2 is powered by the old PSU when ordered as an upgrade!
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

kampak wrote: 2024-05-26 08:37 Really? I thought that should be done by the Utopik for Radikal which is not on the market yet?
Radikal 2 is powered by the old PSU when ordered as an upgrade!
This is a quotation from Linn's homepage (in German), translated by DeepL:
"The improved circuit board design at the heart of the new Radikal incorporates ultra-quiet voltage regulation, coupled with the use of smaller, more modern components - the result is our lowest noise floor yet. This quieter voltage regulation not only delivers pristine current to the motor, but also has the added effect of making our Urika phono preamps sound even better."