XLR plugs for Linn balanced

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

XLR plugs for Linn balanced

Post by k_numigl »

I prepare for a test of a Linn speaker which uses a balanced connection for the bass. Looking for XLR plugs, I see that the variety is large and gold or silver plated is an option. Is there any advice for a good XLR plug? Is it known what kind of plug Linn uses for their XLR cables?

Thanks in advance! Klaus
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

Sorry that this thread pops up higher in the list again after writing my actual text.

Linn actually uses Switchcraft
AAA3FZ
AAA3MZ

and I mounted the original
A3F
A3Z

BR, Klaus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Klaus! (Why the apology?)

I have received this question many times but have never made any serious comparison between XLR connectors. From what I have seen, Linn have been using different models over the years. Are the models you state what they are currently using?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Like Fredrik, I have not done any real comparisons of XLR connectors. What I can tell you is that Linn have used several different XLR connectors, actually 3 that I am aware of, just in the last handful of years. The original "Silver" XLRs, which still come with new Klimax gear, at least as of a couple of months ago, have no name on them either inside or out but seem nicely made. When we ordered separate Silver XLRs to make custom cables this is also what we used to get. Then a couple of years ago Linn started shipping Switchcraft XLRs as Silvers although also including them on the Black balanced cables. By the way, this means that you can buy a pair of Linn Black balanced 1.2m cables for $20 more than it costs to buy the four XLRs!

Then very recently Linn switched things again as the last order for Silver XLRs I made to Linn resulted in receiving a set of Neutriks (nc-mxx and nc-fxx) which are actually black! So that is what they are shipping now. Since Linn still charges $180 for a set of four and I can buy this connector for under $4.00 a piece you can imagine how many more I will be buying from Linn.
Briain

Post by Briain »

The connectors used on Linn 'Silver' balanced are closest to the Neutrik HE range (which are only slightly more expensive than the Neutrik' range mentioned above). The difference is most obvious with the female ends as the HE range have machined cylinders (to form the female contact) as opposed to ones made from a strip that's been bent into a cylinder (so ends up as a slotted cylinder) but it's worth getting the male and female as HE versions as they also have a higher melting point insulation than the standard ranges (so less chance of pin drift if you leave the heat on for too long). My Klimax balanced cables are quite old (late 2007) but if you compare them to the Neutrik HE, not only are the female contacts the same, but also the insulation is the same colour as the HE range (so it's the higher temperature stuff as used on the HE). All my home made XLR connectors (for Linn and other use) are made using Neutrik HE range.

Bri :)

NB Last time I checked (about a year back) the HE range were not available in black (as far as I am aware, they never have been available in black).
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

lejonklou wrote:Are the models you state what they are currently using?
Custom made lengths come with the mentioned plug according to
confirmation by Linn. A year ago or so, we indeed got a very long custom
sized cable terminated with them (at the price Thomas reports). The latter
seems to indicate that this is a non welcome business.