ive never done so, but am curious if others have, and with what results..ty
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

My 2 cents:

Multi-wiring usually offers a slight improvement, but there are some things to consider.

1. It is always better to single-wire with a good cable than to multi-wire with several slightly worse cables. The same rule applies to passive multi-amplification; one better amp is better than many that are slightly worse.

2. To sucessfully multi-wire, all speaker cables, connectors and connecting methods (soldering, crimping etc) should be of the same quality. Otherwise you will get better results by single-wiring with only the best pair of cables. [Same as 1. above but applied to connectors and connecting methods]
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

My entry to Linn audio started with a Basic turntable using a Basic Plus tonearm and K-9 moving magnet cartridge. On the back side was a pair of Linn Index speakers. After a family member damaged the tweeters, the dealer repaired both speakers and converted them to bi-wire mode. The passive crossover was mounted in an external box and he used the larger Linn bi-wire speaker cable. Although it took a long time to convert, and required a great deal of effort - the results were fantastic. It was a costly project primarily because of the labor, but I was impressed with the improvement of sound. Bass notes were improved, voices were a little more clear, and overall the music had more detail. After a few years, I sold the bi-wired Index speakers for more than I originally paid.
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Interesting, Tony. You're upgrade was doubled as you not only bi-wired but also moved the passive crossover to outside the speaker cabinet. That does improve things on passive speakers.

Does anyone remember the small (British) Ion speakers that had their passive filter in a separate enclosure? Not surprisingly, it mattered how those crossover enclosures were positioned. The same speakers also had active filters, which sounded worse than the passive filter. When we later measured them, they had such a weird frequency response that one should probably consider them faulty by design.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Bi-wire or tri-wire

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Yes you are correct, It was a two fold upgrade and a learning experience as well. Many good sounding speakers could sound even better with the crossovers mounted in their own enclosures. Although most companies consider that approach too expensive.
Tony Tune-age