improving my turntable

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Paaf wrote:I was waiting for a response to your indirect question to Fredrik. :)
Oh, OK - I was just feeling a bit ignored :O(
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Since one of the problem LPs is kinda thin, I thought maybe VTA was too high for it. I tried sticking a bunch of paper and platic under my mat to fake a lower VTA (I still don't know how to use those screws). Some new details of the music showed up but a bit weirdly perhaps and still the same disaster soprano distortion on that opera track. Maybe I should stick even more paper there. :)

I might buy another TT, sure. I heard the Rega P3-24 is good value, perhaps similar to Linn Basik in performance? Second hand mechanic stuff is a bit scary but I guess 3kkr for Basik makes that more attractive. Or some LP12 if it's a big improvement to the Basik, but all the options of PSU and arm and etc makes me verrrry tired.
Last edited by Paaf on 2012-03-02 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Found the same Ebay d00d's real e-shop, I paid €25.90 total (228 SEK).

This is the URL, feel free to remove it if is frowned upon here.
http://www.williamthakker.eu/Audio-Tech ... 32e_x2.htm
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Took two of my problem LPs to a dealer downtown Stockholm, excellent customer service. The guy played my records on their 16kkr TT and no madness distortion! Hence, nothing wrong with my LPs, which has eliminated one potential problem source.

He also said one should change cartridge every 5 years or so. Mine is 20yo. Oops. :o)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good to hear that Paaf. And expected.

Yes, Rega P3-24 is a good turntable. Even the old Regas are pretty good, if you should happen to find one cheap. If you get a second hand one, though, you might end up in need of service just like you now seem to be.

LP12 is the King, but I understand that all the options can be off putting. As Charlie would probably put it, it requires some devotion from the owner.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Thank you.

Yes, if I don't get "perfect" sound (lol) after changing the cartridge (solving the tracking problem) it's going in to the shop for service.

It makes a bit of sound when spinning even without a record, if I put my ear close to it, so probably needs oil and stuff. Or it's broken. The Rega P6 they used to play my LPs obviously did not make any such sounds.

That shop also have even more pricey Rega and Project turntables, etc, is an LP12 always better than all of them, even if it's very old (assuming it's been serviced etc)? Some of the older ones are going at pretty funny prices on Ebay, I mean £500 or so.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Charlie1, I tried to PM you but probably there is some spam protection, anyway, sorry but right now buying your used cartridge without stylus seems the wrong way to go for me.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, a properly performing LP12, even with a Basik arm, is musically superior to any Rega and certainly than any ProJect. Also now is the wrong time to buy one of the more expensive Rega tables. Rega is redoing much of their line and they have discontinued the P7 and the RB700 arm. I wouldn't be surprised if the P9 follows. They have re-tooled their arm tube and are putting some interesting updates on their turntables like the RP3 and RP6 that should make their way into other tables as well (which still are unlikely to perform at LP12 level).
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Paaf wrote:Charlie1, I tried to PM you but probably there is some spam protection, anyway, sorry but right now buying your used cartridge without stylus seems the wrong way to go for me.
Your PM function is activated, Paaf. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Paaf wrote:Charlie1, I tried to PM you but probably there is some spam protection, anyway, sorry but right now buying your used cartridge without stylus seems the wrong way to go for me.
Thanks Paaf. Have you made a decision reference either a new stylus or the AT-95E?
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Lejonklou: No inconvenience at all.

ThomasOK: That is very valuable information, thank you! The Regas look cooler than the Linn models but cooler design is a lot less interesting for me than better sound quality not to mention better music. Is any old LP12 also musically superior to the Linn Basik and Axis models?

Charlie1: Yes, last week I ordered an new AT95E cartridge from a german e-shop.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

The cartridge arrived yesterday, so I can warmly recommend the store (link above), half the price and less than a week despite sending from Germany.

Tonight I installed it. Balancing and adjusting weight and anti-skating was easy for me now. Angle was more tricky, the printout I used must be crap, because I still got the distortion on (most often) the 2nd last track of the LPs. Instead I microadjusted the angle several times intuitively and things improved. Still not perfect but perhaps "good enuf".

On the massive soprano distortion track, I now realized it also is connected to the speaker problem, because if I put the balance to "100% right" (or "9" i think on the linn preamp), it sounds OK... like in the shop from last weekend. (It's a recording from 1950 or something so there's a limit to the high end high fidelity experience to be extracted. :))

It's probably still a good idea to give my TT a "10000 miles service".
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good job there, Paaf!

Yes, either a 1000 mile service - or start looking for a replacement. When it comes to enjoying vinyl, you're most likely in for some massive upgrades if you do! The cartridge certainly is good enough for many better turntables.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Thank you Lejonklou for those nice words and the recommendation of the cartridge in the first place, it sounds really fantastic, especially considering the price.

Right now at 1am I am playing an LP me late mother gave me in the 70s with the Chopin Preludes (I had the simplest of them for piano homework in the Kommunala Musikskolan :)). Despite playing it 1000 times on various crap TTs, it still sounds really clean and deep, and never has it sounded THIS impressive.

Yes, upgrade! Upgrade! :) I will soon buy a Linn DS, and perhaps a Linn TT, either a Linn Basik or a LP12, depending on advice from this forum.