Very active member

New Topplate for LP12

Post by matthias »

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New Topplate for LP12

Post by Tony Tune-age »

That should stimulate some interest, and opinions ! ! !
Tony Tune-age
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New Topplate for LP12

Post by matthias »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
That should stimulate some interest, and opinions ! ! !
+1

matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, very cool. I've been waiting for someone to do a "machined from solid" top plate ever since the Keel came out.

I hope it's good!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote:Yes, very cool. I've been waiting for someone to do a "machined from solid" top plate ever since the Keel came out.

I hope it's good!
Me too, I really want to hear this new top plate product ! ! !
Tony Tune-age
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I see the price for the top plate is around £800. I'd love to hear a comparison of a radikal + otherwise standard LP12 vs Tiger Paw + Rubikon.
Pete

Linn LP12 (Lingo, Kore, Karousel, Akito), Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It certainly does look interesting. I wish they had posted a photo of the underside so I could see the suspension bolts. Since they obviously don't go through the top plate and they talk about them also being machined I am curious to see how they are implemented. At £800 it is a lot more costly than the stainless steel plate so it would certainly have to be a big musical improvement to be justified but they do sound like they at least had the right ideas in mind. I also wonder about use of the Radikal with it? It should be a given but they don't clearly state whether it is supported.

I have to believe that Linn will have tried something like this - especially while they were developing the Radikal - but they did say they were happy with the current top plate. You never know.

The third party LP12 accessory/replacement parts seem to be all the rage lately - companies springing up like weeds. The proof of the pudding...
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

ThomasOK wrote:I also wonder about use of the Radikal with it? It should be a given but they don't clearly state whether it is supported.
[quote=""Gaius: Trade tiger paw" at the Linn forum"]Khan is compatible with RadiKal.

The photography was done some months ago utilising an original
prototype top plate. The production versions (and indeed later
prototypes) were fitted with a Radikal option and we will shortly be
posting images on the website. Essentially it incorporates a custom
bracket to mount the sensor pcb and no longer uses the pressed steel
bracket.[/quote]

I also think it's very interesting. I look forward to some indipendent test results, or hearing it myself. But Tiger paw? I know there is a Lions claw at Linns back, but now this, a Tiger paw? For a Swede that sounds like a very uncreative name for some (hopefully) creative products.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote:It certainly does look interesting. I wish they had posted a photo of the underside so I could see the suspension bolts. Since they obviously don't go through the top plate and they talk about them also being machined I am curious to see how they are implemented. At £800 it is a lot more costly than the stainless steel plate so it would certainly have to be a big musical improvement to be justified but they do sound like they at least had the right ideas in mind. I also wonder about use of the Radikal with it? It should be a given but they don't clearly state whether it is supported.
I have to believe that Linn will have tried something like this - especially while they were developing the Radikal - but they did say they were happy with the current top plate. You never know.
The third party LP12 accessory/replacement parts seem to be all the rage lately - companies springing up like weeds. The proof of the pudding...
Thomas,

at their homepage under PRODUCTS you have to wait for the appearance of the last image(number nine). You can see a photo of the underside. Press the fix button at the bottom and use the zoom function of your browser.
Two other photos of the underside you can see under CROSS BRACE. The second and third image are showing a section of the top plate.
I wonder if the connection of the top plate to the suspension bolts is strong enough.

KR

matthias
Last edited by matthias on 2011-08-20 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Linnofil wrote:But Tiger paw? I know there is a Lions claw at Linns back, but now this, a Tiger paw? For a Swede that sounds like a very uncreative name for some (hopefully) creative products.
Possibly they are targeting the Far Eastern Market.

KR

matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linnofil wrote:But Tiger paw? I know there is a Lions claw at Linns back, but now this, a Tiger paw? For a Swede that sounds like a very uncreative name for some (hopefully) creative products.
For non Swedes this might require an explanation.

My family name translates as Lionclaw, a name that my ancestor received from the Swedish army after showing great determination and courage in the war against Russia in 1808-09. With an uncommon name like that, one gets used to being called all sorts of variations of it, like 'Claw'.

The funny thing is that when I was a kid, I was often called Tiger Paw.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote: Thomas,

at their homepage under PRODUCTS you have to wait for the appearance of the last image(number nine). You can see a photo of the underside. Press the fix button at the bottom and use the zoom function of your browser.
Two other photos of the underside you can see under CROSS BRACE. The second and third image are showing a section of the top plate.
I wonder if the connection of the top plate to the suspension bolts is strong enough.

KR

matthias
Thanks for the update. They must have recently added that photo of the underside as it wasn't there when I first went to visit the site. i also didn't realize that the two other small photos in the crossbrace area were of the underside of the top plate - I just thought they were details of the crossbrace. Now looking at the full underside photo you can see they are details of it. Strange that they were put in the crossbrace area. Obviously they are still getting their website organized.

Anyway, the photo of the underside shows a lot of attention to detail. While it is obviously thicker than the stainless steel top plate they look to have taken that into account with rebated areas for the top of the grommets, the bearing housing bolts, motor and the plinth wood strips and blocks so hopefully it will not restrict subchassis motion. I don't know exactly how I would be able to optimize the torque of the studs into the fittings - unless they put a torx or allen head fitting into the bottom end of the studs. Very interesting!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

*IF* Linn were in the process of doing something similar, could this product cause them difficulties, being first to market? I have no information that Linn is doing something similar, but they have admitted to trying to further develop the LP12, and there aren't that many areas left untouched for many years.

Certainly looks good though. Even if it is found to be musically better, using the Tune Method, than the Linn top plate, you're always going to be wondering if, and when, Linn will come out with something similar, and potentially better.

Interesting they didn't use a Linn cart to develop it. Makes me wonder how much into the Tune Method they are, at least from what I've heard about the Dynavectors, in terms of tunefulness.
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

As there is a lot of third party parts available for the LP12 which
do alter the sound but fail to improve it (carbon, acrylic, stainless....),
I can't quite understand the present excitement. The fact that a
particular piece of the LP12 is made from aluminium is not indicating
that everything should be made from that material. My feeling is that
all parts must work together in a synergetic way to achieve a result as
it comes from Linn. So you really have to listen first. And do so with various
arms, carts &c.. In order to arrive at a reliable conclusion, couldn't we
collect some finances to let Fredrik do a review? ;)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

k_numigl wrote:As there is a lot of third party parts available for the LP12 which
do alter the sound but fail to improve it (carbon, acrylic, stainless....),
I can't quite understand the present excitement. The fact that a
particular piece of the LP12 is made from aluminium is not indicating
that everything should be made from that material. My feeling is that
all parts must work together in a synergetic way to achieve a result as
it comes from Linn. So you really have to listen first. And do so with various
arms, carts &c.. In order to arrive at a reliable conclusion, couldn't we
collect some finances to let Fredrik do a review? ;)
+1
matthias
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

k_numigl wrote:The fact that a particular piece of the LP12 is made from aluminium is not indicating that everything should be made from that material.
Well said, Klaus.

I've been wondering how the fit against the plinth will be accomplished with the aluminium top plate. The original stainless top plate is bent to the shape of an upside down V. When fitted to the plinth and screwed down, the edges of the top plate press against supporting strips of wood on the inside of the plinth. How will an aluminium plate be properly supported around its edges?
flatpopely

Post by flatpopely »

I have heard Kahn deck, sounded good. They have sent me one to try. I'll fit it to my deck and take pics and give a NO BULLSHIT review of the sound.

At the very least it gets rid of the bolts being mis-aligned due to the top plate bending.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

flatpopely wrote:I have heard Kahn deck, sounded good. They have sent me one to try. I'll fit it to my deck and take pics and give a NO BULLSHIT review of the sound.

At the very least it gets rid of the bolts being mis-aligned due to the top plate bending.
That sounds great, I'm looking forward to your thoughts ! ! ! Good luck and have fun too ! ! !
Tony Tune-age
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

Review pending......... it seems.

What is surprising is the fact that the developers state to have
designed it with an antique and modified! Ittok -( and a
Dynavector cart -(, so one wonders how it can perform any good
in an original and actual Linn setting. Strange imho.

BR Klaus
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

k_numigl wrote:What is surprising is the fact that the developers state to have designed it with an antique and modified! Ittok -( and a
Dynavector cart -(, so one wonders how it can perform any good
in an original and actual Linn setting. Strange imho.
It's been the same with a couple of other alternative parts for the LP12. Far from an ideal starting position, if the intent is to develop a product that will attract Linn enthusiasts.

But the proof is in the pudding. I'm looking forward to the first serious review. Unless I get a chance to hear it first.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Another 3rd party product. Interesting comment at the bottom from Linn's David Williamson:

http://www.4cdesign.co.uk/case-studies/consumer/linn/

It certainly looks sleek.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Not a 3rd party product, is it?

It's an engineering company that mention their collaboration with Linn as an example of what they can do.

Apparently they helped Linn make the aluminium plinth, which was never released.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Just presumed it was something new, so perhaps not then.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote:Just presumed it was something new, so perhaps not then.
I just posted a bit more about this on the Linn forum. The aluminum plinth was a prototype made while the LP12 SE upgrades were being developed. As Fredrik mentions it was never released. I was told by a Linn rep that there was not enough improvement to make the considerable cost worthwhile.

According to the article they did help Linn develop the Keel as well, so definitely not a 3rd party product!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Any additional information regarding the Khan?
Tony Tune-age