Speaker cable, plugs and solder

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

spidagoat

Speaker cable, plugs and solder

Post by spidagoat »

After many happy hours of playing with speaker placement they are beginning to settle in what could be their long term positions. This includes extensive WAF testing. So far so good, but there is of course a catch - though WAF is within tolerance for speaker placement (and suitably exceeding tolerance for tune!) the length of the cable runs means that my system is currently beautifully presented on a small table and not hidden away in the frequently pointed out cupboard close by, yielding a WAF potential so low that it could prove lethal with extended exposure.

Sparing you conversations about Dulux colour matching, in a nutshell I'm looking to make up new speaker cables.

I've had a trawl of the archives and going back to 2007/2008 the recommendation for speaker cables appears to be:
  • Linn K400 split in to "K200"
    Linn Knekt banana (aluminium) or Deltron 550
    Lejonklou solder
The question is: do these recommendations still stand? Have I missed something more recent? Can anyone recommend sources in the UK ?

Many thanks,
James
Rega RP6, Gaio, KK/1/d, C4200/0, aktiv Katans
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Speaker cable, plugs and solder

Post by ThomasOK »

These are indeed still the recommendations with the Linn Knekt bananas being the more musical choice. However this has been further refined to note that the optimum length is 2.48 meters. To further optimize this it is best to solder it at the precise temperature that provides the most musical reproduction.

You could check and see if Hidden Systems can provide this service. Otherwise, I believe Fredrik will build them if he has available time.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
spidagoat

Post by spidagoat »

ThomasOK wrote:These are indeed still the recommendations with the Linn Knekt bananas being the more musical choice. However this has been further refined to note that the optimum length is 2.48 meters. To further optimize this it is best to solder it at the precise temperature that provides the most musical reproduction.
Thank you ThomasOK. That raises an interesting point - given WAF constraints I am looking at either 5m cable runs or substantially compromised speaker placement as the cupboard in question is built in to a corner. I suppose it doesn't align with the hierarchy of a hifi system, but I would expect the longer cable run to be less of a compromise than the speaker placement options that I have explored with the system in the cupboard and the current cable length of 2.8 meters. Does this seem reasonable or am I underestimating how much difference cable length makes relative to speaker placement?
Rega RP6, Gaio, KK/1/d, C4200/0, aktiv Katans
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

5 m K200 and optimized speaker position is usually preferable.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Is it still possible to order the specific solder?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry for the late reply!

The answer is yes.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote:Sorry for the late reply!

The answer is yes.
And where can we order this solder?
(Sorry for hijacking this thread)
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You need to email me (click on the logo at the top and then see the bottom of the page).