Splitting K400/600

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Broccoli

Splitting K400/600

Post by Broccoli »

Split from the thread "Budget Setup - Advice needed" /Az
DeQMaster wrote:what about buying k400 and strip it on the long way (and call it k200 ;) )
lejonklou wrote:Yes, that's better than K20. But do watch out for the odd K400 that have a crack in between the two pairs. Those can't be stripped into two K200, because they will fall apart.
How does one know if the K400 is of the sort that can't be stripped into K200? (Thinking of splitting mine to single in the future to save space.)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Just examine the black plastic where it's cut at each end. Those with the crack in the middle are easy to recognise; the part that separates the two wire pairs isn't really one piece, but rather two pieces with a thin crack in between them.

You can also see it where the conductors exit the black plastic (unless the exit is covered with shrinking tube, which I always use to make it look more tidy). The "splittable" K400 has the black plastic tightly wrapped around the two conductors.

One tiny picture would make more sense than all those words, but unfortunately, I don't have one...
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Splittable K600 K400

Post by k_numigl »

Over the weekend I soldered a K600, and this leads to the fact
that I can help out with a photo. I met a 2-parted K600 (not known
before) which illustrates the 'non-splittability'. This helps to handle the
K600 with more ease (=relative). Shrink wrapping is mandatory for
the three parts of the finished cable.

The K400 in the photo above is splittable, as its cover is solid. A close up of the two-parted K600 below:

One of the middle wires of the K600 has been removed. The piece is a short leftover.
DeQMaster

Post by DeQMaster »

Very Illustrative photos.

I upgraded my espeks from biwiring passive to triwiring passive.

Worthy. Used k400 to make 2x"k200". Same musicallity and better highs.

Regards
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

In my experience the split-able vs. non split-able is caused by manufacturing variances. When they put a lot of the white powder in it keeps the center part from fusing, when they put in less it fuses together. When they forget to put in any, as in a couple of rolls we have received over the years, it is easily split-able but almost impossible to strip as the black casing sticks so tenaciously to the casing on the conductors. :(
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Was at a linn thingy this evening and Philip Hobbs told me to split my k400 and have the cable at least 6 inches apart , he said the difference was like going from passive to aktiv....the main difference between k400 and k20 is the twisting and slightly better copper.. might try and hook up with a saw mill....oh yes and he's working on new speakers using the Isobarik principle he wouldnt give anything away;apparently the budget prototypes are very impressive in the bass region with bass units facing down the way....maybe!!!
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote:Philip Hobbs told me to split my k400 and have the cable at least 6 inches apart , he said the difference was like going from passive to aktiv...
:!: :?:
he's working on new speakers using the Isobarik principle
Ooh, that just got to become a success! How many times since the Keltiks were discontinued have I heard people saying 'I miss that Isobarik sound' ? Just too many to count.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote:
Lego wrote:Philip Hobbs told me to split my k400 and have the cable at least 6 inches apart , he said the difference was like going from passive to aktiv...
Ooh, that just got to become a success! How many times since the Keltiks were discontinued have I heard people saying 'I miss that Isobarik sound' ? Just too many to count.
I'm definitely all ears for that speaker, although my wallet probably won't tolerate it if it is a Komri replacement.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:
lejonklou wrote:
I'm definitely all ears for that speaker, although my wallet probably won't tolerate it if it is a Komri replacement.
No doubt my wallet wouldn't tolerate a Komri replacement :!:
Tony Tune-age
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I'm guessing that the new bariks will be at different price points..I have high expectations.The 109s were the first speaker that P.H had full control over its development and for once in a long time Linn bring out something mechanical that is not only sounded very impressive but represents good value for money;Linn of old.I'm sure his briks will put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Oh yes and linn is dumping the Akurate tuner.
Has anyone listened to the k400 split in 2 spaced apart 6 inches or more ?
I know that tune
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Lego wrote:I'm guessing that the new bariks will be at different price points..I have high expectations.The 109s were the first speaker that P.H had full control over its development and for once in a long time Linn bring out something mechanical that is not only sounded very impressive but represents good value for money;Linn of old.I'm sure his briks will put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Interesting information Lego 8) . Has anybody heard why the Akurate tuner is being dropped from the Linn product list :?: Will there be a replacement tuner, or will Linn just not offer a tuner in the future :?:

I have often wondered why Linn didn't maintain the Isobarik speaker line. Perhaps they will bring back a newer version of the Sara 9 speaker as well 8) .
Tony Tune-age
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Lego wrote:I'm guessing that the new bariks will be at different price points..I have high expectations.The 109s were the first speaker that P.H had full control over its development and for once in a long time Linn bring out something mechanical that is not only sounded very impressive but represents good value for money;Linn of old.I'm sure his briks will put the cat amongst the pigeons.
Interesting information Lego 8) . Has anybody heard why the Akurate tuner is being dropped from the Linn product list :?: Will there be a replacement tuner, or will Linn just not offer a tuner in the future :?:

I have often wondered why Linn didn't maintain the Isobarik speaker line. Perhaps they will bring back a newer version of the Sara 9 speaker as well 8) .
The internet radio in the ds outperforms the akurate, maybe the reason.
Lego Phil Budd was in charge of 109.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

anthony wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:

The internet radio in the ds outperforms the akurate, maybe the reason.
Lego Phil Budd was in charge of 109.
I thought he looked different!? and he was english
I know that tune
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

anthony wrote:The internet radio in the ds outperforms the akurate, maybe the reason.
Good point...thanks 8) .
Tony Tune-age
WIJI

Post by WIJI »

Lego wrote:Was at a linn thingy this evening and Philip Hobbs told me to split my k400 and have the cable at least 6 inches apart , he said the difference was like going from passive to aktiv...... might try and hook up with a saw mill....
I've just noticed this post, and wonder why it doesn't appear to have attracted many comments.

Has this been tried by others, and if so what were the results?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

WIJI wrote:
Lego wrote:Was at a linn thingy this evening and Philip Hobbs told me to split my k400 and have the cable at least 6 inches apart , he said the difference was like going from passive to aktiv...... might try and hook up with a saw mill....
I've just noticed this post, and wonder why it doesn't appear to have attracted many comments.

Has this been tried by others, and if so what were the results?
How the speaker cable is physically arranged makes a bit of difference.
Splitting the K400/K600 is a good idea. My guess is that the small improvement it brings is due to less physical stress.
I haven't found that having them very far apart is an improvement.