Cara 6

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

minge

Cara 6

Post by minge »

Hi.

Has anybody tested running your DS-player directly without preamp into the amps with new Cara 6? Wonder what it sounds lile with ADS and KDS direct into amps?
Mike
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I want to know this too.

I wasn't impressed with the digital volume control of Sneaky and Majik DS, and would like to know if it's gotten any better.
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

lejonklou wrote:I wasn't impressed with the digital volume control of Sneaky and Majik DS, and would like to know if it's gotten any better.
No, at least on the Sneaky it's not an inch better than before.

I haven't heard the digital volume control with an Akurate or Klimax yet, but I doubt that this will change the system for good. Even an old Klimax Kontrol should clearly outdo it.

Maybe Linn just implemented it because of the high demand and because people can now hear for themselfs how bad it is and why it was not offered by Linn in pre-Cara6 releases?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Charlie1 wrote:Music at Home has tried it:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... 0#pid67010
Thanks for the thread, good stuff :!:
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Well, it seems like the result is just like before: Much better with a good preamp.

So far, every comment I've received has been negative. The sound is very clear and direct, but musically confused.

It's not surprising that people who listen for sound, and don't use musical parameters when evaluating performance, think that these digital volume controls are great. But I do find it surprising that Linn employees don't seem to understand the actual effects of it. Comments about less distortion but more noise, when the real question is "Which is better?", isn't helping anyone, is it?
Linnie

Post by Linnie »

Cara 6 is released sounds like a big upgrade to me.
Komri

Post by Komri »

Linnie wrote:Cara 6 is released sounds like a big upgrade to me.
I agree!!! :D
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Komri wrote:
Linnie wrote:Cara 6 is released sounds like a big upgrade to me.
I agree!!! :D
I do not agree. In the two installations (MajikDS, Kikkin2,2250/D,242 and KDS,Kinos,212 active) I have compared CARA6 is worse than CARA4.

Komri: Have you completed installing your Komri. I find CARA6 to have a more hifi-ish sound (impressively controlled ...) but worse musically. CARA6 could make a better impression in a nt that optimised system as it sounds impressively controlled. In the MajikDS system the soundvise difference (less harsh) where greater than in my system, but the main difference seem to be about the same in both systems.
Komri

Post by Komri »

No, I have to admit that my Komris still standing on the floor witout spikes and havent been placed correctly with Tune Method ... (but O´boy how good they performe in some ways... under these conditions).

And of course that is no way to go when you want to do a correct judgemnet between different firmwares...

Also, i have´t tried any of the beta versions. and... the intital installtion of Cara 4 on my KDS was not done bye myself... so...

I will comeback when I know that my Komris are well tuned and then do a propper test between the different Cara versions.