Good sounding vintage gear - examples

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Rutger

Good sounding vintage gear - examples

Post by Rutger »

In my experience through the years there are many good sounding sources , amplifiers and loudspeakers out there that might be bargains .

As you know, all Linn gear is good sounding doing a good job of letting the tunes pass through to the listener-so this list is not about Linn.

Some examples from me :

Sources :

Rega planar 2 - bargain !
Rega planar 3 ( slightly worse than 2, but still a great bargain )
AT 95 ( really a bargain ! )
Dual CS 505 (slightly worse than Rega 2 and 3 but good compared to most other record players )

Rega dac R (great only with filtering nr 2 and a good digital input signal )
Rega saturn

Amplifiers :

Aiyima a04 with opa 1612 and medical grade meanwell switch mode power supply . Power chip is tpa 3251. Better than Nad 3020 .

Nad 3020 ( slightly worse sounding than Aiyima a04 but good compared to many amplifiers . )

Rotel 810 ( slightly better than Nad 3020 )

Naim Nait 1 ( red light ) - better than most

HYPEX ncore 250 Audiophonics - good sounding modern class D amp . Qualitywise equal to Aiyima a04 but can play louder.

Bonnec preamp (slightly better than Linn in the -90 )

Kikkin 1, great preamp.

Loudspeakers :

Boston A40 ( bargain in -82 and also as second hand , slightly better than Heybrook HB1 )

Heybrook HB1 - very good

AR red box - cheap bargain
Snell type K - very good and better than bigger snell speakers .

Kef C10 - most musical Kef speaker ever

Cables :

Focal Elite RCA 1 metre . Can be bought today.

I have not found any loudspeaker cable better than K20 or K400 , so no recommendation.
—————

This was my list , which is yours ?
Last edited by Rutger on 2023-11-06 17:40, edited 3 times in total.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Good sounding vintage gear - examples

Post by springwood64 »

Great list. I'd add Arcam Alpha 6 to Alpha 9 Amplifiers, as enjoyable companions to the Rega or Dual turntables.
Pete

Linn LP12 (Lingo, Kore, Karousel, Akito), Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

springwood64 wrote: 2023-11-06 14:03 Great list. I'd add Arcam Alpha 6 to Alpha 9 Amplifiers, as enjoyable companions to the Rega or Dual turntables.
Yes, and one of the first cd players that didnt sound terrible was Arcam alpha 5 that I bought -92, right before I bough a Linn cd player. The alpha 5 was better sounding than the Marantz CD 65 at that time
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Great thread Rutger and an enjoyable read!

Can't comment on CD. The only time I ever truly enjoyed CD (in person) was an Akurate CD player shortly before Linn pulled the plug - I enjoyed that more than the CD12. Wouldn't mind an ACD with a Utopik and NOS laser. If beck could do his magic as well then it would be wonderful.

I'd like to recommend the Naim NAC 12 and bolt down NAP 160, serviced of course.

NAC 32.5/42.5 and chrome bumper 160 also work very well with slightly harder to drive speakers, although they can be a bit overly focused on rhythm and timing at the expense of all else - I'm exaggerating to make a point. NAP 110 is also very good. Whilst prices are on the up and so are servicing costs using Naim components, they are still cheap compared to modern equivalents.

Creek 4140 is also a great little amp with the right speakers - thanks Spannko for that - and it was unserviced.

Whilst I loved my Exposure XV at the time (with LP12 and Kan 2s), I'm not sure how well they are holding up. I've since tried an unserviced XV which was poor, and a serviced XV Super that sounded nice and crisp but wasn't nearly as musical as vintage Linn/Naim. The X is supposed to be the one to have. Recently heard serviced Exposure 7/8 Anniversary separates (unregulated) from the late 80s and didn't do much for me.

Shame Linn won't supply parts for their LK amps otherwise I'd be recommending them too.

As for speakers, I think Kan 2s (without kustone) are worth a mention for the right vintage system (i.e., pre-Cirkus LP12). Whilst I prefer Kan 1s, they are a bugger to find still sounding good whereas the 2s seem to be holding up better and do sound less peaky.

And of course a late pair of Isobariks with 4th order crossover (but without kustone) still sound amazing at about £2k and are not too hard to drive, and are not too expensive compared to modern speakers.

Lastly, I was pretty amazed by the sonic abilities of the Naim SBL for just £500. Shame it wasn't as tuneful as Linn but wow, that's easily a £15k speaker in modern money and probably more engaging that 95% of modern designs. Not fun to setup though!

Anyway, these are my standouts from the past few years of experimentation.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

With the Naim SBL, however, it should be the later bass, the first bass version sounds very pottery.

I think the Nytech 252 also belongs to this category. Although it was a long time ago, he had a good reputation at the time.
Trust your ears
John C

Post by John C »

I could add to the list two items I still use. First is Naim cd-3-player. Still use is everyday since I bought it in November 1995. Even bought an extra if the first one fails. Second item is Naim Nait 2. Such an engaging amplifier!

My personal thoughts on this topic.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

John C wrote: 2023-11-06 17:30 Second item is Naim Nait 2. Such an engaging amplifier!
Yeah, Nait 2 is lovely, and more flexible with slightly more power and weight to the sound compared to the 1. The better choice provided you don't already one an original to compare against.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote: 2023-11-06 16:21

Creek 4140 is also a great little amp with the right speakers - thanks Spannko for that - and it was unserviced.
I have had a Creek 4140 S2 since 1993 and it has been a great little stand in for my Tundra Monos when they have gone for upgrades. I think they would struggle to replace the amazing TM3s but certainly made a good fist of replacing TM 1 and TM 2.

I would also second the Rega Planar 3 which I have had since 1984 and which is still delightfully musical.

A Linn Classik Movie ( mine is circa 2000) , is a surprisingly capable CD player and amp. and seems to be holding up well- even the DVD player and surround sound components are still working and reasonable quality.

My Ninkas from 2000 are still going strong ( can handle anything up to Linn KDS/2 front end) and Komponent 110s ( 2 sets) are very musical if lacking in bass and dynamics.

Not sure if JBL 308 Mk1s are deemed vintage - but incredibly good and phenomenal value for Poweramp/speaker combo.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

There’s the Royd Coniston R’s too. They partner very well with the creeks and they’re both available for under £100

PS I’ve given my grandson a 4040 with a pair of Coniston R’s to use as computer speakers and he absolutely loves them!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Keilidh’s with the latest bass and three bar treble units and polymer stands are an enjoyable listen for about £200
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

u252agz wrote: 2023-11-09 13:44 I have had a Creek 4140 S2 since 1993 and it has been a great little stand in for my Tundra Monos when they have gone for upgrades. I think they would struggle to replace the amazing TM3s but certainly made a good fist of replacing TM 1 and TM 2.
I like the way you've hung onto stuff. Plenty of gear I wish I'd kept but always needed the funds.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I should really recycle some of my gear, but have a very strong attachment to some units.

My first Creek was a 4040 from 1984 but it unfortunately lost one channel in 2015 or so and have since relied on the 93' 4041 S2.

The Rega P3 ( again 1984) is a work of art in my opinion and will stay in the loft where it and the 4041 S2 pump out Siouxsie and the Banchees, or other 80s bands whenever I am up there and need a burst of nostalgia.

The Classik movie is still, in my opinion, a really good integrated unit which punches well above its weight in musicality - used in the Lounge to play the odd CD/DVD and to occasionally relay the TV sound to Komponent 110s. Takes me back to back to our old house,when its impressive surround sound abilities were used regularly and my girls were toddlers!

Ninkas - my first Linn speakers which with Ikemi (wish I had kept this) and LK140s was my introduction to the slippery slope of Hi Fi and the world of LInn. Now partners a sneaky and a Rega Brio in the kitchen.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

u252agz wrote: 2023-11-09 16:37 I should really recycle some of my gear, but have a very strong attachment to some units.

My first Creek was a 4040 from 1984 but it unfortunately lost one channel in 2015 or so and have since relied on the 93' 4041 S2.

The Rega P3 ( again 1984) is a work of art in my opinion and will stay in the loft where it and the 4041 S2 pump out Siouxsie and the Banchees, or other 80s bands whenever I am up there and need a burst of nostalgia.

The Classik movie is still, in my opinion, a really good integrated unit which punches well above its weight in musicality - used in the Lounge to play the odd CD/DVD and to occasionally relay the TV sound to Komponent 110s. Takes me back to back to our old house,when its impressive surround sound abilities were used regularly and my girls were toddlers!

Ninkas - my first Linn speakers which with Ikemi (wish I had kept this) and LK140s was my introduction to the slippery slope of Hi Fi and the world of LInn. Now partners a sneaky and a Rega Brio in the kitchen.
I never had you pegged as a 'Siouxsie and the Banchees' fan - don't know why. I've only got Juju which is excellent. I should get some more really.

Never heard an original P3 - would love to hear one - maybe one day. My youngest suddenly wants to have a record player in her room (again). I don't think it ever got played last time, but she's quite a bit older now so who knows. Fortunately, I have a P2 and Tukans at the ready but had to buy an Arcam Delta 60 today for amp duties - a 4140 would have been too shallow for the Rega to sit on top.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I find that if you have a reasonably musical system, good recordings of almost any style of music is almost always enjoyable.

I listen to so many genres of music that I could not list them all, but it ranges from Siouxsie and the Banchees to classical ( european and indian), gregorian chant and mediaval to jazz, blues, motown, country western and modern pop, including some of the childrens Hip hop/Grunge or whatever else they call it these days.

This is why vintage gear is so good - one can get quite a musical system for next to nothing and just enjoy the music.

Its not the fully immersive experience of Kalla/LP12 , a full set of Fredriks monos and my 242s, but more than good enough to put a smile on ones face.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, Rutger, you are bringing back some memories with that list and it also makes what I was doing in 1984 look pretty good. That year I started my own Hi-Fi store in Encinitas, California with some help from Audiophile Systems (the Linn and Naim importer I worked at as National Sales Manager just before that) in terms of equipment loans with extended payments. My store was called Classic Audio and had the following equipment lineup on display (notice I cherry picked some of the lines).

Turntables:
Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/Karma
Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/Basik cartridge
Linn LP12/Basik LV-X/Basik
Heybrook TT2/Basik LV-X/Basik
Rega Planar 3/Basik LV-X/Basik
Rega Planar 2/Basik LV-X/Basik
Rotel Turntable/Basik

Electronics:
Naim 32/Hi-Cap/250 or 135s
Naim 42/110
Naim Nait
Creek CAS 4040
Creek T 40
Rotel RA840BX
Rotel RT840 AM/FM Tuner
Rotel RD840 Cassette deck
Rotel RX850 AM/FM Receiver

Speakers:
Linn Isobarik DMS
Linn Isobarik SARA
Linn Kan
Heybrook HB1
Wharfedale Diamond (original version)

Linn DMS, SARA and Kan stands
Sound Organisation Turntable Stand
K20 speaker cable

I didn't have access to Dual but I sold a ton of the CS505 through CS508 at the store I worked at before I worked at Audiophile Systems. I also sold a lot of the Boston A40s, which I remember as being better than the bigger ones. The basic Rotel belt drive was a good table though. For upscale customers I was able to source the Tandberg 3014 cassette deck and 3001 tuner from another dealer.

As you can see there are a number of items on your list. I did not have enough money to really do the storefront I wanted to and selling out of the house with three girls from 3 years old to pre-teen wasn't going to work. After a few years of limited success I closed Classic Audio down in 1987. But I still do rather like the original lineup. One of my sisters has the Creek 4040/T40 and Wharfedales, another has the Planar 3 and a niece has the Rotel turntable and Receiver with the HB1s.

Note at the time, before the Rega RB300 came out, you could order the Planar 2 or 3 without arm and I felt the Basik LV-X offered a performance boost over the Rega Lustre arm. It also allowed me to demonstrate the importance of the turntable with four different tables with the same arm and cartridge.

There's my nostalgic trip for the day. Better this kind of remembrance than going out and spending $3000 on a top of the line Japanese receiver from the 70s that really doesn't sound very good.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Arcam Alpha ll amplifier
Dual CS 505-4 (AT-95E) turntable
Marantz CD 63 CD player
Mission 700 LE speakers

They are actually playing music right now at my location:-)
grin

Post by grin »

Linn LP12 with Shure V15vxMR
Sansui AU-111
Acoustic Research AR3
all of them still playing perfectly
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-11-10 20:26 Well, Rutger, you are bringing back some memories with that list and it also makes what I was doing in 1984 look pretty good. That year I started my own Hi-Fi store in Encinitas, California with some help from Audiophile Systems (the Linn and Naim importer I worked at as National Sales Manager just before that) in terms of equipment loans with extended payments. My store was called Classic Audio and had the following equipment lineup on display (notice I cherry picked some of the lines).

Turntables:
Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/Karma
Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/Basik cartridge
Linn LP12/Basik LV-X/Basik
Heybrook TT2/Basik LV-X/Basik
Rega Planar 3/Basik LV-X/Basik
Rega Planar 2/Basik LV-X/Basik
Rotel Turntable/Basik

Electronics:
Naim 32/Hi-Cap/250 or 135s
Naim 42/110
Naim Nait
Creek CAS 4040
Creek T 40
Rotel RA840BX
Rotel RT840 AM/FM Tuner
Rotel RD840 Cassette deck
Rotel RX850 AM/FM Receiver

Speakers:
Linn Isobarik DMS
Linn Isobarik SARA
Linn Kan
Heybrook HB1
Wharfedale Diamond (original version)

Linn DMS, SARA and Kan stands
Sound Organisation Turntable Stand
K20 speaker cable

I didn't have access to Dual but I sold a ton of the CS505 through CS508 at the store I worked at before I worked at Audiophile Systems. I also sold a lot of the Boston A40s, which I remember as being better than the bigger ones. The basic Rotel belt drive was a good table though. For upscale customers I was able to source the Tandberg 3014 cassette deck and 3001 tuner from another dealer.

As you can see there are a number of items on your list. I did not have enough money to really do the storefront I wanted to and selling out of the house with three girls from 3 years old to pre-teen wasn't going to work. After a few years of limited success I closed Classic Audio down in 1987. But I still do rather like the original lineup. One of my sisters has the Creek 4040/T40 and Wharfedales, another has the Planar 3 and a niece has the Rotel turntable and Receiver with the HB1s.

Note at the time, before the Rega RB300 came out, you could order the Planar 2 or 3 without arm and I felt the Basik LV-X offered a performance boost over the Rega Lustre arm. It also allowed me to demonstrate the importance of the turntable with four different tables with the same arm and cartridge.

There's my nostalgic trip for the day. Better this kind of remembrance than going out and spending $3000 on a top of the line Japanese receiver from the 70s that really doesn't sound very good.
Yes, Rega RB300 was really good , and the Boston A40 was a stunning loudspeaker for the money. And yes, the original A40 was much better playing tunes than the bigger models and also the best speaker they ever made .
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I would add the following:

Dual CS505-1
Nagaoka MP-11
Rotel RB-850
Original Musical Fidelity A1 (when it hadn't frazzled itself)
Original Mission 700
Linn Keilidh
Linn Katan
Linn Ninka
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Surprised no one's mentioned the venerable LS3/5a. Bought my first pair in 1981. Swapped in and out many others since but keep going back to them.
Keith
LP12, Ekos, VM760, Slipsik 7.1, NDX2, 252, 250, Aerial 5B, LS3/5a, Harbeth M30, Gallo TR3D
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

sktn77a wrote: 2023-11-20 01:21 Surprised no one's mentioned the venerable LS3/5a. Bought my first pair in 1981. Swapped in and out many others since but keep going back to them.
Yes, I remember when I first listened to that speaker and I really enjoyed what I heard. Later I discovered the cheap Kef C10 and I thought this speaker was even better playing tunes.
HBE

Post by HBE »

Turntables:
Linn LP12
Garrard 301
Garrard 401

Electronics:
Audio Research SP-3A-1, SP-6B, SP-10, SP-11, D79
Mark Levinson N0. 20.6, No. 27.5

Loudspeakers:
Quad ELS
Quad ESL-63
Dahlquist DQ-10
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Recommendations for components that struggle to play tunes harmoniously should have no place on a Tune Method moderated forum!