Goldring 2000 series MM

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Goldring 2000 series MM

Post by lejonklou »

Has anyone listened to Goldrings new 2000-series of MM cartridges?

2100, 2200 and 2300 have a plastic body.
2400 and 2500 have a metal body.

http://www.goldring.co.uk/moving_magnet_cartridge/

As these are all cheaper than the Adikt and Goldring makes Adikt for Linn, it would be interesting to hear what you think of them.

In the past I listened to the 1000-series and while they are similar to the Adikt in construction, none of them impressed me very much.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

Just ordered a 2500. Someone's gotta do it !!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Great!

When I look at the specs, I wish I could test them all. Because I'm not convinced that the most expensive is the best.

Question: Do all the styluses fit all bodies?

There are 3 different bodies. Or perhaps only 2, if 2300 is just a white plastic version of 2100/2200.

Then it's 5 different styluses.
The 2300 stylus has a Gyger II tip, which is the same as Adikt.
The 2400 stylus has a Vital tip, just like the old Linn carts (from Troika down to K9).

Assuming metal is the better body (just a guess), perhaps it's enough to borrow all 5 styluses for a quick Tune Method comparison? The winner could then be compared with an Adikt.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

The 2500 was not that expensive compared to 2400. I can always try out a 2400 styli with this housing.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

It finally arrived. Please note the these impressions are based on a brand new item with no hours and the letter "g" is missin on my keyboard (kids!!!). I have never been satisfied with my Adikt, I found it briht and harsh. That's why the oldrin 2500 was brouht to my deck. I bouht the most expensive one couse that must be the best (from where do i et this idea :D
The oldrin and the Adikt is related, easy to hear, nearly same tonal balance. However, the Adikt is much more fast, tuneful and enjoyable - no doubt. A more detailed description is not easy for me to express on Enlish - please request the Danish version :D
The oldrn is just as briht as my Adikt but hih frequencies are clean and non distorted, and that's what is wron with my Adikt. It have always sounded distorted and SSS sounds has been VERY annoyin to listen to and has been takin the focus away from the music. I have done some meassurements and found out that a clean sinus (HiFi news test record) produces a trianle on my scope from 4 Khz to 10 Khz from the Adikt. Now, that's why i call distortion. I have not tested yet but i suppose the oldrin can produce a nice clean sinus. So, either my Adikt is bad and have always been or Adikt is bad on the hih frequency part (which i find very hard to believe)

I have tested my old K5, K18, K18MK2 and a brand new AT95E. None of them are distorted but unfortunately, nowhere near as musical as the Adikt. But even if the Adikt is very musical - my ears are bleadin.
If i could mix the clean hihs from the oldrin and the musicality from the Adikt i would be in heaven.

I have tried loadin my Adikt with 25 KOhm istead of 47K to tame the hih's but I have to aree with Lejonlou - the music dies.

So what do I do. Be happy with my oldrin or amble with a new styli to my Adikt.

Lennert
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for your review!

I have to say that I have never experienced what you are describing with the Adikt. I have installed it on many LP12's and none of them have given this problem. "Ssss" sounds does sound like distortion and your measurements confirm this. The question is where the problem lies.

Have you tried a new stylus on your Adikt? It IS possible your old one could be faulty (again I have to say I haven't come across this on the Adikt, but I have on several other cartridges, so it's certainly possible). The second question is whether everything is well set up and aligned, but I doubt this could result in a triangle wave in such a broad spectrum unless it's very wrong.

I can send you a new stylus to try, after first having confirmed it sounds fine. That could either confirm or rule out a stylus problem. Good idea?
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

lejonklou wrote: I can send you a new stylus to try, after first having confirmed it sounds fine. That could either confirm or rule out a stylus problem. Good idea?
WOW - and I didn't dare to ask you if I could send my Adikt to you!
What do you think is best.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Either is fine. You can send me your stylus or I send you a new one.

To check the entire cartridge requires more time, because it needs to be installed. Which in the case of Adikts takes quite a long time if you want it to be perfectly aligned.

Let's start with the stylus as that sounds as a more likely cause of the problem. I'll inspect it with my microscope and listen to it, doesn't take much time.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have also installed quite a few Adikts and have never come up with the problem you have. There is certainly something wrong with your Adikt and the stylus is definitely the more likely culprit.

I highly recommend you take up Fredrik on the offer. If you were in the US I would also offer to check your stylus out here.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have tried the Adikt stylus you sent me, Linntek. It sounds terrible! I wouldn't play any more records with this, sounds as if it can't track properly.

I gave it a brief look in the microscope and it's clearly worn. One other observation is that the entire diamond looks like black metal. To my knowledge, this is a sign of lots of impurities. On some of the old K5 and AT-95E:s, the tip can look like this, while on more expensive styluses the diamond is like glass.

I've never seen an Adikt stylus tip looking like this. Just checked three new ones, they all look perfect in clarity, tip shape and position and angle in the cantilever.
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

This is good news...... I'm not totally out in the Woods. Bad news, it has always sounded Line that. I'll start looking for a new styli.
Thank you for taking the time.
jlw2000

Post by jlw2000 »

Linntek wrote:This is good news...... I'm not totally out in the Woods. Bad news, it has always sounded Line that. I'll start looking for a new styli.
Thank you for taking the time.
I found this thread while Googling for "Linn Adikt Harsh". I have a new one and have a similar experience with "harshness". It is aligned properly per the "lugs" and screws not overtight (6 turns per the Adikt manual).

Having said that, its a beautiful sounding cartridge, just not with everything. The stuff that was once dull sounds lovely, and the stuff that was once bright & forward is now, well, "harsh".

I'm thinking much of this is due to the Adikt's design, as mine is not worn in the slightest.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi jlw2000!

I think the Adikt is great and never harsh.

There are three things you can do:

1. Compare your stylus with another one.
2. Have your stylus examined with a microscope and perhaps evaluated by ear.
3. Find someone who can mount your Adikt perfectly. "Per the lugs" is not correct! This has been discussed in another thread.

Regarding Linntek's bad stylus, I have found only one other that was as terrible as his. But a few others have been less-than-perfect. I sent Linntek a new one (the styluses I sell are examined under a microscope and guaranteed to sound good) and he said "Wow!".
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

And it's still "WoW" and the letter "G" is back!
The lugs have to be removed since the cart have to be mounted nealy the lugs diameter further back.
My Adikt story started when the Adikt where introduced. Installed by a dealer after the (wrong) Linn method. The cart sounded terrible from day one and i pointed that out to my dealer but nothing happend.
Years vent and i rarely listend to vinyl until a day I recorded a CD with some needle drops and sent the CD to another dealer. I could not accept the Adikt didn't perform since others where very happy with it. The dealer did acknowledge that something was wrong and i brought the deck to the dealer for a tune-up, got it back (now with a cirkus kit !!!!!) but the cart was not touched and the deck sounded just as terrible.
Then Lejonklou turned up with his excelent service and i got my self a brand new "Lejonklou Approved Adikt".
I spend a lot of time installing it and build my own protractor out of cardboard combined with Linn protractor. I used the Hifi-News test record to veryfi allignments. Rechecked several times and now it sound really good.
I think I have written this somwhere else but I can't find it!