Sharing the sound of our systems!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Sharing the sound of our systems!

Post by beck »

Inspired by the JBL tread I think it is time for us to share bits of sound recorded from our systems. My example is an ipad recording of a track from an all analog recording of "The Dirty Dozen Brass Band" featuring G. Love. This is how I like it! :-)

Links removed!

Feel free to ask or to comment on the sound, music or system. I am not easily offended (only about the cleaning of the room!) :-)
Last edited by beck on 2016-04-09 13:10, edited 3 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Sharing the sound of our systems!

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote:Inspired by the JBL tread I think it is time for us to share bits of sound recorded from our systems. My example is an ipad recording of a track from an all analog recording of "The Dirty Dozen Brass Band" featuring G. Love. This is how I like it! :-) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/696 ... G_0933.MOV

Feel free to ask or to comment on the sound, music or system. I am not easily offended (only about the cleaning of the room!) :-)
I think the recording equipment probably makes more difference than anything else but having said that your system does come across very well. Is that some kind of vibration stone sink on your rack?

I don't have my Canon camera any more. I think that did a better job than the old smartphone I just used but anyway, here's some Dylan for you and trust me it sounds a hell of a lot better in real life despite some sibilance in the Bob's vocals:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zkvxpihvpkfr ... 9.MOV?dl=0

I think these exercises are more of interest to see peoples listening rooms than to gauge their actual system. Not sure how interesting a quick spin round mine actually is, but I would be interested to see more of other members' rooms. Maybe I'm just nosey :)
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2016-02-08 12:32, edited 3 times in total.
Nature

Post by Nature »

Charlie1, no pre-amplifier?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Nature wrote:Charlie1, no pre-amplifier?
There's a small Lejonklou Kikkin on the second shelf.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you for playing along charlie1. Yes, we cannot use these clips to compare sound but some things do stand out none the less. Lovely refined sound indeed from your system.

My heavy stone beneath my amp was placed there many years ago and do make my homemade stand more steady. As so many things in my setup it ended there by chance. I just listen for a sound that "come together" more than "split up".
Playing cd’s…………
smirre67

Post by smirre67 »

beck wrote:Inspired by the JBL tread I think it is time for us to share bits of sound recorded from our systems. My example is an ipad recording of a track from an all analog recording of "The Dirty Dozen Brass Band" featuring G. Love. This is how I like it! :-) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/696 ... G_0933.MOV

Sounding great, but i think you would like the sound of the Espeks without the meshes dulling the mids. I did remove them and the mids came to life much better. Try it, its easy to put back if you feel like it.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

This recording is a couple of months old and I have in the meantime removed them and it is as you say better. I have also since this recording done some splitting of my K400 speaker cables and my Sondeks arm cable. It has resulted in better sound indeed.
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote:I have also since this recording done some splitting of my K400 speaker cables and my Sondeks arm cable. It has resulted in better sound indeed.
I do not recommend splitting the arm cable.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Nice to know but too late for me. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote:Nice to know but too late for me. :-)
Sorry!

I did hesitate for a second before posting that. Have split many arm cables myself and one day I evaluated it more carefully.

You can test whether left and right should be kept apart or together, for instance by a few bits of tape (loosely fitted)!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

No problem. What difference did you notice when comparing?
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I noticed that the sound got "bigger" with left and right apart but that music was better when they are kept close together.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I spent some time listening carefully and (surprise!) we see things the same way. What I notice also is that I loose my ability to use my musician ears to determine if a note is low, in tune or high pitched. Well, trial and error is the way forward (back :-))!

Now I worry that the same thing could be true with the speaker cables (to my ears :-))!
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

And so I reached another dead end. I have to work my way back.
Last edited by beck on 2016-02-14 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

beck wrote:I spent some time listening carefully and (surprise!) we see things the same way.
Ok! Did you tape them together?
beck wrote:Now I worry that the same thing could be true with the speaker cables (to my ears :-))!
I don't think I have evaluated this. And now I mostly use single wire passive, so only one K200. Please do share your findings!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I think I am in a kind of shock! I cannot go back to the sound I love. I have tried with tape and it did help but not enough. I am now in a position where I will end up searching for a new arm cable and speaker cables. Silly me!
I think curiosity just killed the cat! :-(
Playing cd’s…………
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

beck wrote:I think I am in a kind of shock! I cannot go back to the sound I love. I have tried with tape and it did help but not enough. I am now in a position where I will end up searching for a new arm cable and speaker cables. Silly me!
I think curiosity just killed the cat! :-(
The best way learning is trying yourself. I spent months buying Ethernet cables that a few crazy musiclovers around here tested. I now have over 50 cables in a huge box. On the other hand we found the good MicroConnect.
It's all about musical understanding!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Carefully I have reassembled my phono cable and my K400 speaker cables with tape and it works! I have got the old sound back. It turns out that splitting K400 still using it as a bi-wire cable has the same kind of effect on the sound as Lejonklou has discribed when splitting a phono cable. Slightly bigger sound but less music.

Latest: Even though I have been careful I am not back 100 % (maybe 95 %). Just goes to show that a music signal is a very delicate thing indeed.
It is a bit like a puzzle. Everything has to fit both in the vertical and horizontal plane.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I am now 100% back to my old sound and to celebrate here is Teitur recorded live direct to vinyl. Your smartphone/tablet speaker is challenged by this recording so do turn the volume a bit down.
Link removed

A bit more of Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Link removed

Danish Tim Christensen with No Easy Key
Link removed!

And finally here is Pink Floyd. I just love the way you can hear him smile while singing at the very end!
Link removed.
Last edited by beck on 2016-05-16 21:43, edited 2 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
The FlatEarther

Post by The FlatEarther »

Beck instead of using tape, use rings of heat shrink cut offs. Much neater, no sticky residue.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ATC or JBL?

Matt
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

ATC. JBLs are much uglier.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

No other comments on my sound files?

There are two files in there and I was hoping people would tell me which one they liked better. I suppose I should have said that up front.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote:No other comments on my sound files?

There are two files in there and I was hoping people would tell me which one they liked better. I suppose I should have said that up front.
I'll have to listen again then ;)