twin vs solo

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

twin vs solo

Post by bonzo »

has anyone had the chance to compare/tundem chakra twin against a pr of solos keeping everything else the same? if so, results and related gear? ty
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
zeedje

Twin vs Chakra

Post by zeedje »

Hi,

I think music Lover did some evaluating tests awhile ago.

The Solos are fantastic BTW :wink:

/Z
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Yes I have.
Twin/Solo are in another league compared with the CX100/CX200 chakra amps.
Both have the unique Klimax sound. Solo offer more power and more bass.
And better tune as well.
But the difference in tune is smaller compared with the big step up from CX200 so the ultimate (performance/price) is likely to be Klimax filter and Twins.

Active is ALWAYS better that ANY passive system I ever heard.
= get Solo if you intend to stay passive.

I compared using 1.1/Kontrol/242. And even if Solo in that system is fantastic, is isn't active!
A good active system is relaxed at same time more dynamic and has a flow that is seriously addictive.
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi ML, appologies in advance for going slightly off topic, but have you ever compared activ Chakra x200s against a passive Klimax Chakra Twin? Upgrading my 6100 is always an option, so I would be interested to know what you think especially re Tune Dem. Thanks, Charlie.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

No I havn't, but I heard many top of the line passive Linn systems and always missed something that I get in an active systems.

But what about this?
I heard 1.1/Kontrol/Twin/242 and (in same room) changed to 3*5105 active 5140.
The active system had qualities the Twin/242 didn't. Less details but a better flow. More music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote:I heard 1.1/Kontrol/Twin/242 and (in same room) changed to 3*5105 active 5140.
The active system had qualities the Twin/242 didn't. Less details but a better flow. More music.
Wow that says a lot for activ setup. Problem is that activ Klimax must cost a small fortune, so I'll have to stick with Chakra range I think. Tx ML, Charlie1.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

But Charlie1, please compare yourself.
I know people that prefer passive systems.

The result can also be different depending of the speaker used.
poppop

Post by poppop »

Hi ML and others

This active/passive subject has been written/discussed for some time now. So, having had the opportunity to sell the Active keltiks and everything else, I thought I would give it a try. As always, nothing better than trying the gear in your own home and drawing ones own conclusions.

I now have Akurate DS/Kisto/Solos/140.s/ 2 melodiks.
Lets forget the melodiks at the minute. They are something I heard years ago and loved, and when 2 the same colour came along I couldnt resist! Movies with lots of "booms" etc lift the house off the foundations!!LOL!

I think what this system is showing me is that as the quality of the electronics improves so does the sound - in certain ways. I now have a system that has a real delicacy of touch that does indeed lack "some" of the drive the keltiks had. I would venture to say that in terms of tune dem this passive system is better(in relation to the keltik system, and may not be true with active 320's/350's etc) I realise that the solos are something special and would like to try them with better speakers(hence the 140's being for sale).
having had 242's in the past, and I know this would be frowned upon by Linn, but I think my longer term aim(funds permitting) would be to run them active with 1x 4200 on the bass with each solo running the array.

I did try the 242 partially active a couple of years ago without much success - because I used poorer amps on the array. This set up may give the best of both worlds with bass grip and drive, but also that wonderful delicacy of touch that the solos bring.

If I ever sell the majiks and find the money Ill let you know!! LOL.

Steve.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

poppop wrote: This set up may give the best of both worlds with bass grip and drive, but also that wonderful delicacy of touch that the solos bring.
No, you need Komri for that, preferable active 8)
poppop

Post by poppop »

LOL, and an income thats beyond my means :cry:

Steve.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Same here, but if you intend to upgrade from Keltiks on ALL parameters, it's Komri.

Even if akurate/artikulat are better in most aspects (tune dem, separation, soundstage etc) they lack slam, power, dynamic and impact.
Not even Melodik subs can adress all that 100%...
poppop

Post by poppop »

ML,

Ill tell you what though, now I think I have the melodiks alligned as well as I can with the majiks those 4 x 12" drivers add some serious kick to the bottom end! :D

I have them "backed off" on the Kisto by around -6db. Having just lost the keltiks the battle is close? IMO. The additional benefit is that because I can limit the output to the majiks to 60Hz with the Melodiks going all the way from 79Hz down, vocals etc are more clearly projected than with the keltiks.

Steve.